Hand feeding?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
neurotic88
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:10 am
Country:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Hand feeding?

Postby neurotic88 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:10 am

Just curious, how many of you are able to hand feed your skinks?

Like berries or treats etc?
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Hand feeding?

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:15 am

I can't Blueberry would bite my fingers. I use tongs if that counts for hand feeding.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Hand feeding?

Postby Katrina » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:28 am

I hand feed all of mine, although I wouldn't recommend it if you don't know your BTS very well. My juvenile Northerns can get a bit overly excited, so I am very careful when feeding them not to get nipped. But the rest of mine seem to be very careful when taking food from hands, with most of mine I have no concerns about being bitten. I know I'm just fortunate, lots of BTS won't be this easy to hand feed.

I also don't hand feed very often - so not all interactions mean food. I hand feed just treats, they get regular meals on plates, so they don't associate me completely with food.

Here are a couple older pics. This one especially is just a sweetheart, extremely careful when taking food. She basically waits until I place it in her mouth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
neurotic88
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:10 am
Country:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Hand feeding?

Postby neurotic88 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:37 am

awww.. super cute katrina :D
supersnakeman101
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 319
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:32 pm
Country:
Location: columbea sc

Re: Hand feeding?

Postby supersnakeman101 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:43 am

i hand feed blaze alot to develop that pet owner relationship
united we stand divided we fall
P.S i am all over the place sometimes with my post... and sometimes my spelling is bad so just bare with me on that
this is your WARNING ! :)
1.0 merauke
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: Hand feeding?

Postby Linnea » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:15 am

i feed berries from my palm to litchie, however, i am not able to do like kat and feed directly.

so....with fruits and such i just put them at random places in the terrarium and see if he finds them.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
anchietae
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:37 pm
Country:
Location: Western Washington, USA
Contact:

Re: Hand feeding?

Postby anchietae » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:40 pm

I hand feed my Shinglebacks on occasion. This is as long as I'm offering raspberries, blueberries, or other fruits or vegetables. It's too risky feeding superworms, however. The skinks get really excited and with the "worm" spinning around in my fingers, it's an accident waiting to happen!

Image

Casey Lazik
http://www.reptilia.com
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Hand feeding?

Postby Katrina » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:18 pm

That picture is just gorgeous! I think that would be a winner for the March photo contest, the red raspberry stands out so perfectly.

I also don't feel live / wriggling food from by hand. No sense in asking for trouble!
User avatar
anchietae
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:37 pm
Country:
Location: Western Washington, USA
Contact:

Re: Hand feeding?

Postby anchietae » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:20 pm

Thanks. He really likes his raspberries! :)
User avatar
Kbell31
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 484
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:12 pm
Country:
Location: Ohio

Re: Hand feeding?

Postby Kbell31 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:07 pm

Cute pics! It took awhile for mine to eat from my hand but she will now and is very gentle about it.
When life gets difficult, always remember you are being planted NOT buried!
User avatar
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott
Posts: 4362
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 am
Country:
Location: Central Victoria, Australia

Re: Hand feeding?

Postby Scotts1au » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:49 am

Yeh some of my blotchies - hand feeding takes on a new dimension - finger feeding.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
User avatar
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer
Posts: 1889
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:30 am
Country:
Location: Western Australia

Re: Hand feeding?

Postby Nae » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:57 am

What can I say, unless I run the risk of losing more then a finger, I attempt to hand feed everything :lol:

Wild shingles are certainly not an exception -

Image

(Its a fairly old video - Just click on the picture to watch :D)

Edit: Oh and of course Zekes vid! In which he bites me as hes confused as the where the food went :lol: But that didnt hurt at all, and it was the first and last time he has done. Fancy that, been playing with wild shingles since I was little, and I get my first bite from a tiny, captive bred baby skinky!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSahkYyH ... AAAAAAAAAA
User avatar
anchietae
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:37 pm
Country:
Location: Western Washington, USA
Contact:

Re: Hand feeding?

Postby anchietae » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:56 am

Cute video. My daughter made me play it a half dozen times. :)
User avatar
critterguy
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 702
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 am
Country:

Re: Hand feeding?

Postby critterguy » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:20 pm

Once they get your hand a few times they tend to be much more careful about it. I agree that feeding live food by hand is a good recipe for getting your fingers chomped-but I still do it anyway.
User avatar
NennaMeerkat
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 300
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:24 am
Country:
Location: Fort Worth Texas

Re: Hand feeding?

Postby NennaMeerkat » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:43 pm

You guys got some great pictures of handfeeding <3 I have hand fed Mr Blue a few times, nearly to get my fingers taken in the process. He just gets SO excited at the treats I give him (usually something like a piece of red meat, chicken, fish) that he bites at anything and everything. I don't think he likes any of the fruit I got enough to eat out of my hand. Hand feeding is a scary affair, but I enjoy offering up my fingers to see a happy excited skink!
User avatar
iLoveMyLizard
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:15 pm
Country:
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Hand feeding?

Postby iLoveMyLizard » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:31 pm

With live worms such as superworms/morios, i find that squeezing them slightly whilst presenting them to my skink often reduces its wriggling. Hold it near its head, squeeze it slightly and its much easier. Dont squeeze too hard though cause then it wont wriggle at all or will pop. When my skink grabs it it often wriggles like hell anyway and then he shakes it like crazy. With me just geting my skink ive tried building trust with hand feeding and its worked brilliantly, hes completely comfortable with my hands in his enclosure now.
1.0.0 Irian Jaya - Sid
User avatar
iLoveMyLizard
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:15 pm
Country:
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Hand feeding?

Postby iLoveMyLizard » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:29 pm

Thought i would get a video ot my skink eating a morio, quite calm for him too.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPhITdO ... ata_player
1.0.0 Irian Jaya - Sid
User avatar
SFBlueTongue81
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:48 am
Country:
Location: San Francisco

Re: Hand feeding?

Postby SFBlueTongue81 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:15 pm

1 Northern BTS
User avatar
LarissaLurid
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
Country:
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Hand feeding?

Postby LarissaLurid » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:44 pm

My Merauke is always gentle, whether it's my hands or tongs with a meal worm on them. Here's a video of him eating some egg from my hand. =^w^=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHfQwqAA ... AAAAAAAEAA
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 373 guests