Page 1 of 2

Amelanistic and Snow Indonesian BTS (T. gigas gigas)

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:50 pm
by James Wilson
These photos are of an Amelanistic (more commonly, but incorrectly known as albino), and a Snow Indonesian BTS which is an the specimen is both homozygous for amelanism and anerytherism or axanthism.

gigas gigas-albino.jpg


gigas gigas-albinos 2.jpg


gigas gigas-albinos 4.jpg


gigas gigas-albinos 3.jpg

Re: Amelanistic and Snow Indonesian BTS (T. gigas gigas)

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:11 pm
by Gail
Those are beautiful. I really like the amel.

Re: Amelanistic and Snow Indonesian BTS (T. gigas gigas)

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:12 pm
by WanderingChai
Oh my gosh!! I want one!! >__>

Re: Amelanistic and Snow Indonesian BTS (T. gigas gigas)

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:18 pm
by Jeff
So these were produced in captivity?

Re: Amelanistic and Snow Indonesian BTS (T. gigas gigas)

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:59 pm
by James Wilson
Jeff wrote:So these were produced in captivity?


Yes, from what I understand they were produced in captivity 10 to 15 years ago, and I am pretty sure they were sold to buyers out of the country. I think possibly japan, but I could be way off with all of this as it has been quite a while.

Re: Amelanistic and Snow Indonesian BTS (T. gigas gigas)

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:01 pm
by anchietae
Hi.

You know, of all the animals I've had over the years, these are the ones I regret selling the most. I purchased a group of gigas from a German gentleman in 1998. He contacted me knowing I bred albino Knob-tail Geckos (Nephrurus levis pilbarensis). Initially, he asked me if I was interested in buying an albino BTS. After finding out he produced two babies and two normal looking young, I made him an offer for all the babies and the parents as well as a sibling female to the adult pair.
It's very interesting that one of the albinos looked like a snow (visual amelanistic and visual axanthic) while the other was amelanistic. I should add that one of the sibling babies looked axanthic.

At the time, I had a very full plate breeding the geckos, small varanids, and many python species. After keeping the skinks for about 9 months, I sold them here domestically to a gentleman who wants to remain anonymous. Unfortunately, these animals were never successfully bred. I know, I know...What was I thinking?! :roll:

Casey Lazik
http://www.reptilia.com

Re: Amelanistic and Snow Indonesian BTS (T. gigas gigas)

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:01 am
by Kurt
those are awesome!

Re: Amelanistic and Snow Indonesian BTS (T. gigas gigas)

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:20 am
by Jeff
Casey, do you know if any of these animals are still alive? They are pretty amazing specimens. It is a shame they never reproduced.

Re: Amelanistic and Snow Indonesian BTS (T. gigas gigas)

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:37 am
by supersnakeman101
so cool :drool: :drool: :drool:

Re: Amelanistic and Snow Indonesian BTS (T. gigas gigas)

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:54 am
by anchietae
I think a few of the animals have died but the albinos were still alive as of two years ago. I see the man who owns them about once a year and check if he's bred them or wants to sell them back to me. :oops:
No such luck. :kw:

Re: Amelanistic and Snow Indonesian BTS (T. gigas gigas)

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:23 pm
by James Wilson
anchietae wrote:I think a few of the animals have died but the albinos were still alive as of two years ago. I see the man who owns them about once a year and check if he's bred them or wants to sell them back to me. :oops:
No such luck. :kw:


Casey, it is nice to talk again. It has been a long time. Please let me apologize for forgetting the exact details on these. I just had too many names and stories rattling around in my head. In addition, I hope you did not mind that I shared these with the gang here. I figured it had been some time, and it would be ok. Thanks for joining in and clearing things up for us.

Re: Amelanistic and Snow Indonesian BTS (T. gigas gigas)

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:40 pm
by anchietae
Hi James. It's quite alright; no need to apologize. :) The world needs to see these skinks! In fact, I checked my computer for more pics of those skinks and the ones you posted were the only ones I had. It's good to be part of this Forum. I've been lurking for awhile but I have Tiliqua fever in a bad way!
Image

Casey

Re: Amelanistic and Snow Indonesian BTS (T. gigas gigas)

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:44 pm
by Richard.C
haha,look out casey,it gets worse with time,nice rugosa,s

Re: Amelanistic and Snow Indonesian BTS (T. gigas gigas)

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:04 pm
by James Wilson
anchietae wrote:Hi James. It's quite alright; no need to apologize. :) The world needs to see these skinks! In fact, I checked my computer for more pics of those skinks and the ones you posted were the only ones I had. It's good to be part of this Forum. I've been lurking for awhile but I have Tiliqua fever in a bad way! Casey


Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Re: Amelanistic and Snow Indonesian BTS (T. gigas gigas)

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:06 pm
by Jeff
anchietae wrote:...I have Tiliqua fever in a bad way!
Image


That's saying something for a gecko guy!

Re: Amelanistic and Snow Indonesian BTS (T. gigas gigas)

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:17 pm
by Katrina
anchietae wrote: It's good to be part of this Forum. I've been lurking for awhile but I have Tiliqua fever in a bad way!


Wow - welcome!! Amazing animals, both pictures of the past BTS you owned and the reptiles on your website. Those two in the pictures are incredible animals, it is a shame to see BTS like that not reproduce.

Re: Amelanistic and Snow Indonesian BTS (T. gigas gigas)

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:20 pm
by anchietae
That's saying something for a gecko guy!


:lol: I've been a closet skink guy for a long time!

I know it gets worse! Now I have, what, 5 1/2 to 6 months to wait and see if these breedings have taken? :lounge:

Image

Re: Amelanistic and Snow Indonesian BTS (T. gigas gigas)

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:25 pm
by anchietae
Katrina wrote:
Wow - welcome!! Amazing animals, both pictures of the past BTS you owned and the reptiles on your website. Those two in the pictures are incredible animals, it is a shame to see BTS like that not reproduce.


Thanks. :) I've been fortunate to have had some very beautiful animals. And I've been stupid for letting some of them go! :oops: :roll:

Re: Amelanistic and Snow Indonesian BTS (T. gigas gigas)

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:51 pm
by Katrina
:lol: Closet skink guy! That made me laugh. Is this your official coming out of the closet?

Re: Amelanistic and Snow Indonesian BTS (T. gigas gigas)

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:56 pm
by anchietae
Katrina wrote::lol: Closet skink guy! That made me laugh. Is this your official coming out of the closet?

:lol:
Well, some of my close friends always knew this about me! ;-)