differences of growth rate between species?
Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:09 pm
by supersnakeman101
is their a difference of growth rate between different species or is it all very similar
just woundering

Re: differences of growth rate between species?
Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:08 pm
by Jeff
It is likely that there is some difference, but I don't think it is too significant. What makes a much bigger difference in the growth rate is what, and how much is fed up until the skink reaches adult size. It is very easy to get most BTS to adult size in less than a year, but is also possible to keep them from getting there for two or three years if you feed very sparingly.
Different species do start out at different sizes though. I have had healthy northerns born at 10-12 grams, while my baby shingleback last year came out at 85 grams. She had a stillborn sibling too, so likely would have been even larger if she would have been a singleton. Tanimbars are by far the smallest babies I have ever seen. I would like to know how much they weigh at birth on average.