Update on little Tea Cup

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
Country:
Location: New York

Update on little Tea Cup

Postby WanderingChai » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:26 pm

Ok, I'm going to start off saying this: It's basically illegal to post an update thread w/o pictures- and yet I am. Sorry!

Tea Cup seems to be going on a growth spurt(YESSS)! She's on her second shed within 3 weeks. Maybe she'll beef up a bit after all? :lol: Her colors are looking more and more gorgeous! She is no longer so dark- and now a more yellow/orange/greenish color. Her eyes are just GORGEOUS(as always) and shiny as ever.
She has a little case of the dry belly scales, and I'm planning to try out a new substrate and re-do her tank to more of a jungle theme. I'm planning to use Eco Earth, but dry. It seems fairly burrow-friendly and is definitely not dusty. It's basically dirt.

I've been feeding once or twice a week, and she's at a good weight.

To celebrate the 60 degree weather in NY, Tea Cup got the first earthworms of the season! Her feast today included:
1 whole egg(straight from our coop!), scrambled
Green pepper
Kale
Carrot
Earthworms
Some other green(I forget!!)

She LOVED it, and was VERY happy to have live prey again.

I'd say in general, she is very healthy and very... Very... Very slowly growing!! :roll:

Question- Is it good/okay to sprinkle some crushed egg shell on her food as an extra source of calcium? Again, out eggs are 100% from our coop and happy hens.

NOTE: Be extremely careful about picking non-quarantined live food sources. I know that the worms were OK because they were 20+ft from our house, from our manure-fertilized garden that we have NEVER used ANY chemicals or pesticides in for the past 5 years. If you're not 110% sure if there is any chemicals, don't feed.
If love is a labor, I'll slave to the end.
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Update on little Tea Cup

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:28 pm

Pictures or it didn't happen :nono:
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Re: Update on little Tea Cup

Postby StaceyLeigh » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:36 pm

Sounds like she is doing great! I use crushed egg shell on our BTS food a couple times a month to supplement. I bake the egg shells in the oven 1st (about 350 degrees for 45 min.) then pulverized them with the magic bullet! I am so looking forward to the warmer temps here this week ( I am in CNY). Hoping to get our two outside for some sunshine!
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Update on little Tea Cup

Postby Katrina » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:41 pm

Glad to hear Teacup is doing so well!! :D Sounds like a great meal.

I do the same as StaceyLeigh for egg shell. It is a good supplement, I try to switch it between Calcium + D3 powder and finely crushed egg shell.

You're right. It is basically illegal to post an update without pictures. Especially when you go into great detail describing how beautiful she is! :nono:
User avatar
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
Country:
Location: New York

Re: Update on little Tea Cup

Postby WanderingChai » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:49 am

Sorry guys! I'll try to get up some pics today(On my to-do list!)!
If love is a labor, I'll slave to the end.
User avatar
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer
Posts: 1889
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:30 am
Country:
Location: Western Australia

Re: Update on little Tea Cup

Postby Nae » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:30 am

No pictures = I dont care.

:lol: Its about time she started growing!! But than again, her name rather suits her~
User avatar
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
Country:
Location: New York

Re: Update on little Tea Cup

Postby WanderingChai » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:08 am

I know! She's old! Well... Turning 2 y.o. in April.
If love is a labor, I'll slave to the end.
User avatar
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
Country:
Location: New York

Re: Update on little Tea Cup

Postby WanderingChai » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:50 am

Hey guys- I need help.

So, Tea Cup has an overbite. Today i noticed that she had some kind of squishy brownish thing in the tiny space inbetween her bottom jaw and the top. I tried to wipe it off, but won't. I'm at school now, but I'll try to get a better look at it tonight.

My first instinct was "GET IT OFF", and my second was "VET". Like most people however, money isn't unlimited, and I would like to know if it something of a huge concern. If it could grow, I'd want to catch it as early as possible. SO if a vet visit is necessary, I'll take her to Cornell.

Would you need pics? I think it would be difficult, but I could try...
If love is a labor, I'll slave to the end.
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Update on little Tea Cup

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:50 pm

Pics plz.
It could go away with a shed though...
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
Country:
Location: New York

Re: Update on little Tea Cup

Postby WanderingChai » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:28 pm

I'll try.
I tried to get a better look at it, but it was nearly impossible. It's VERY small. I don't think I'll call a vet visit just yet- It could just be food or dirt. I can't seem to get it off without her trying to bite me. :oops: I don't like scares like this...
If love is a labor, I'll slave to the end.
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Update on little Tea Cup

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:31 pm

Pictures or id didn't happen...
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
Country:
Location: New York

Re: Update on little Tea Cup

Postby WanderingChai » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:35 pm

I could TRY, but it's so small I'm really not sure if it would show up on photos, or if I could get her in the position. She was very huffy and constantly trying to bite, and I didn't want to put her upside down(on her back).

I can try to take pics tomorrow.
If love is a labor, I'll slave to the end.
User avatar
SFBlueTongue81
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:48 am
Country:
Location: San Francisco

Re: Update on little Tea Cup

Postby SFBlueTongue81 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:46 pm

xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:Pictures or it didn't happen :nono:

I lol'd

Glad to hear Tea Cup is doing better!
1 Northern BTS
User avatar
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
Country:
Location: New York

Re: Update on little Tea Cup

Postby WanderingChai » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:06 pm

Thanks. :D
If love is a labor, I'll slave to the end.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 184 guests