Observation - Northern vs Merauke
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Observation - Northern vs Merauke
I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed something like this, or if it is just a coincidence, but in the past several months I've really noticed a difference between the Meraukes and Northerns. My lights are on timers, they turn on between 8:30 and 9:00 am. Usually before the lights are even on at least one or two Northerns is already patiently waiting on the basking spot for the sun to come up. Typically within minutes of the lights turning on, all 4 Northerns are basking. It is generally at least a couple hours later before I see a single Merauke up - today Rollie got up at 10:30, first Merauke stirring. The Northerns are hiding at night well before the Meraukes, if any BTS is up after 6:30 pm it is a Merauke.
I've been noticing this on weekends and recently had some time off work so I really got to see their habits a bit better. I'm not sure if my sample size is large enough for it to mean anything (4 Northerns, 8 Meraukes + 1 on breeding loan) or if anyone else who keeps multiple species has noticed anything like this. BTS
The BTS are on the main floor and we have lots of windows, so they can tell that it is light outside or at least not dark before their basking lights turn on (if that makes sense).
I've been noticing this on weekends and recently had some time off work so I really got to see their habits a bit better. I'm not sure if my sample size is large enough for it to mean anything (4 Northerns, 8 Meraukes + 1 on breeding loan) or if anyone else who keeps multiple species has noticed anything like this. BTS
The BTS are on the main floor and we have lots of windows, so they can tell that it is light outside or at least not dark before their basking lights turn on (if that makes sense).
- StaceyLeigh
- Northern Love

- Posts: 1576
- Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: CNY
- Contact:
Re: Observation - Northern vs Merauke
I only have 2 Northerns, but both are usually up waiting on their basking rocks before the UVB goes on which is 9am. I keep a night (red) heat light on through the night (low-80degrees) so they are getting some warmth early in the morning. Both are usually in bed for the night by 7-8pm.
- Kbell31
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 484
- Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:12 pm
- Country:
- Location: Ohio
Re: Observation - Northern vs Merauke
My Meraukes light comes on at 10am but usually I dont see her basking till around 2 or 3, she will have her eyes open usually just laying in her hide until then. Lights off at 10pm and she is still up a lot of the times. I dont have a Northern for comparison but maybe Meraukes are little night owls 
When life gets difficult, always remember you are being planted NOT buried!
- Linnea
- Swedish Flower

- Posts: 1781
- Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Sweden
Re: Observation - Northern vs Merauke
now that you say it. though i have no meruake to compare with....
i always light litchies around 7, in summer around 6.30. the reason for this is that he wakes up so early and drag himself to the basking spot and starts digging around in the substrate at that time. without lamp or not.
whether i leave lights on or not doesnt matter, he sleeps soundly before 8 in the evening.
litchie can see the outdoor light from his terrarium so he follows the light-clock outside, and his brumation period was heavily directed by the amount of outdoor light even if it kinda doesnt light up his terrarium at all, he can just see the light from there.
unfortunately this is the land of the midnight sun and we experience 20-24 hours of light in summertime. i have a feeling this stresses him out.
i always light litchies around 7, in summer around 6.30. the reason for this is that he wakes up so early and drag himself to the basking spot and starts digging around in the substrate at that time. without lamp or not.
whether i leave lights on or not doesnt matter, he sleeps soundly before 8 in the evening.
litchie can see the outdoor light from his terrarium so he follows the light-clock outside, and his brumation period was heavily directed by the amount of outdoor light even if it kinda doesnt light up his terrarium at all, he can just see the light from there.
unfortunately this is the land of the midnight sun and we experience 20-24 hours of light in summertime. i have a feeling this stresses him out.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Observation - Northern vs Merauke
interesting observation,are the merauke,s tame like the northerns?
what are peoples thoughts on why this is so
what are peoples thoughts on why this is so
- Nae
- Forum Graphic Designer

- Posts: 1889
- Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:30 am
- Country:
- Location: Western Australia
Re: Observation - Northern vs Merauke
While I dont have anything to compare him to, Zeke seems to have slipped into an up at 10, bed at 11 at night routine - But I have read that if its warm cents will quite often stay up at night?
Just thought Id mention in case it means anything to anyone~
Just thought Id mention in case it means anything to anyone~
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Observation - Northern vs Merauke
nae,in the wild centralians can be active at night,usually its very hot where they are from so they would hide away from that heat during the day and come out when its cooler,at night,usually its stil quite hot at night where they are from,had a sister that lived in exmouth for a few years,she saw a few at night in that neck of the woods
- Coomassie
- The Inked Chemist

- Posts: 1826
- Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: Newark, DE
Re: Observation - Northern vs Merauke
I only have a Northern but Coomassie is up between 5:30 and 6 AM. His light comes on during that time and he basks for a while. He sleeps in his log these days but his light goes off between 6:30 and 7 PM and he has long since been in bed.
Cay T.
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: Observation - Northern vs Merauke
Richard.C wrote:interesting observation,are the merauke,s tame like the northerns?
Yeah, extremely tame / accustomed to people. I find it amazing considering that some of mine are likely WC. From what I've seen, Northern babies will try to display / bite / intimidate and gigas would rather hide, but are extremely curious as well. I've never seem them show any sort of aggression even towards each other, they seem to default to flight rather than fight. Again - sample sizes that I have are too small to know if this is a meaningful observation.
I was thinking that maybe Northerns are used to basking in the morning sun because mid day gets too hot? But being more equatorial, Meraukes wait for it to warm up a bit and then move around in the afternoon / evening. I have no idea if their captivity behavior (in Canada) is the same as what they might do in the wild.
- Kurt
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 629
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:23 pm
- Country:
- Location: Southern Oregon
Re: Observation - Northern vs Merauke
I have a merauke and he isn't much of a morning basker. First thing he does when the lights turn on is get a drink of water. He doesn't bask until the light has been on for a few hours. He's very active at night, right up until his light goes off.
6 y.o. 0.1 Merauke - Apollo - House of Reptiles - 2011
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: Observation - Northern vs Merauke
Bberry basked for 3hrs, than drank some water, then retreated to his cave today.
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Observation - Northern vs Merauke
interesting,i thought maybe meurakes might wait till cage is warmer before they get up,eg from warmer areas so need more heat to become active,but its like that for northerns to in the wild,stinkin hot i mean,lol
also thought maybe they are more timid than northerns,but that shouldnt stop them going to heat in the morning,especially if no ones about
also thought maybe they are more timid than northerns,but that shouldnt stop them going to heat in the morning,especially if no ones about
- Linnea
- Swedish Flower

- Posts: 1781
- Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Sweden
Re: Observation - Northern vs Merauke
does this mean we would have to customize basking times for our bts regarding to which type it is?
as for me, i might try to light it even earlier so its warm enough for when Litchie basks (6-7) and turn off the lights directly when he buries (6-7) in the early evening? or would he prefer it to be cooler while basking in the morning? this is making me confused @__@
as for me, i might try to light it even earlier so its warm enough for when Litchie basks (6-7) and turn off the lights directly when he buries (6-7) in the early evening? or would he prefer it to be cooler while basking in the morning? this is making me confused @__@
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: Observation - Northern vs Merauke
Linnea wrote:does this mean we would have to customize basking times for our bts regarding to which type it is?
as for me, i might try to light it even earlier so its warm enough for when Litchie basks (6-7) and turn off the lights directly when he buries (6-7) in the early evening? or would he prefer it to be cooler while basking in the morning? this is making me confused @__@
Why bother? Lights are on for 12 hours, they can chose when to bask and when to hide. I think if I adjusted it so their lights came on earlier they would just get up and wait for the lights earlier. I just thought it was interesting, I don't think we need to read too much into it or make any changes based on it - whatever they are doing works just fine for them. I was wondering if others noticed this, especially people like Mel with a bunch of different species and larger sample sizes.
I'm sure Litchie is doing fine - just provide him with the proper photo period and temperatures and he will do whatever he needs to thermoregulate.
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: Observation - Northern vs Merauke
Richard.C wrote:also thought maybe they are more timid than northerns
Definitely not more timid, at least for most of my Meraukes. Mine are generally pretty fearless, they are usually perched looking out of their enclosures for most of the day, hanging out in the open. They seem curious and fearless, I think they tend to be more interested in what is happening in the house and people watching than the Northerns are. Personality wise I think they are quite similar to Northerns. You might be right about them waiting for things to warm up a bit before moving around.
- LarissaLurid
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 762
- Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
- Country:
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Re: Observation - Northern vs Merauke
My Merauke has such a strange sleep schedule. I think much of this is due to how my boyfriend works afternoon-midnight or later so all day it's quiet around the house until late at night when people start doing things and moving around. I also feed mine at night. He usually wakes up late afternoon for a while then will go back to sleep a few hours at night then wake up again later during the night lol.
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
- LarissaLurid
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 762
- Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
- Country:
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Re: Observation - Northern vs Merauke
Katrina wrote:Richard.C wrote:also thought maybe they are more timid than northerns
Definitely not more timid, at least for most of my Meraukes. Mine are generally pretty fearless, they are usually perched looking out of their enclosures for most of the day, hanging out in the open. They seem curious and fearless, I think they tend to be more interested in what is happening in the house and people watching than the Northerns are. Personality wise I think they are quite similar to Northerns. You might be right about them waiting for things to warm up a bit before moving around.
I've never had a Northern, but I must say, even for a young one my Merauke is fearless and has quite a bit of confidence. He tries to climb everywhere, isn't scared of heights or jumping (so I always make sure to watch him closely) and he even thinks he's strong enough to move huge things like televisions and tries with all his might. It's pretty funny
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
- SFBlueTongue81
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 85
- Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:48 am
- Country:
- Location: San Francisco
Re: Observation - Northern vs Merauke
Interesting observation.
My northern isn't usually out and about until about an hour after the lights go on with my timer is 9:30am. But I usually feed him around then too so that might be why.
Also I have it set so the lights are on day/ and a heat pad comes on at night under the cage then goes off when the lights go on in the morning, so that might change things.
I have noticed that as soon as the lights go off at night I hear him digging around and making his bed and he's out like a light in minutes!
My northern isn't usually out and about until about an hour after the lights go on with my timer is 9:30am. But I usually feed him around then too so that might be why.
Also I have it set so the lights are on day/ and a heat pad comes on at night under the cage then goes off when the lights go on in the morning, so that might change things.
I have noticed that as soon as the lights go off at night I hear him digging around and making his bed and he's out like a light in minutes!
1 Northern BTS
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 358 guests
