Page 1 of 1
new member
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:55 am
by robkeep
Just to introduce myself and my BTS, who hsan't really got a name yet, although my wife can think of a few! I've had him about 3 weeks now. At first he seemed very aggressive when I handled him, so I've decided to give him some space now, and let him settle in fully. He doesn't seem to have much of an appetite, but his colour seems good. I'm not sure what type of BTS he is, and don't know much about his background. A work colleague of my wife's wanted to re-house it as it was her sons, and he had left home without it.
I'll try to upload some photo's of him/her. I get the feeling he/she thinks themself to be a snake!
Re: new member
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:58 am
by Jeff
Welcome to the site! Congratulations on the new skink. It looks like a silver Tanimbar to me.
Re: new member
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:23 am
by DevDomSki
Welcome!
Re: new member
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:39 am
by Katrina
Welcome!! Like Jeff said, looks like you have a silver Tanimbar. Very cute!!

Re: new member
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:44 am
by robkeep
I gather these are not the friendliest skinks around!
Re: new member
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:46 am
by Katrina
From what I've heard, they aren't unfriendly as in aggressive - just skittish. But some people on here have tannies that are quite friendly, it just takes time. I'm sure people who own these guys can give you some tips.

Re: new member
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:30 am
by robkeep
all tips gratefully recieved!
Re: new member
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:08 pm
by Kbell31
oooo its so pretty, love it!
Re: new member
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:35 pm
by phaemas
Just be thankful you don't have mel's ''little jerk'' XD I met him in person and he was just adorable with his aggression!Lovely skinkers though!
Re: new member
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:46 pm
by NennaMeerkat
Welcome to the site and beautiful skink! I had an aggressive guy (though he isn't the same as yours) who was also a rehoming. He has calmed down a lot once he got used to my voice, my touch, and generally everything else new. I bet eventually yours will get used to all the new stuff too.
Re: new member
Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:17 pm
by Fatal_S
I have 4 Tanimbars right now. 1 is a big silver female and is very tame and friendly. My two yellows are both a bit defensive but pretty easy to handle and such. My WC Tanimbar is a total spaz who tries to run constantly and bites if I go near him. I wouldn't describe them as aggressive, just extremely shy and defensive. With patience and lots of positive interactions (from the skinks POV) they tame down nicely and can be nice skink-friends. Don't expect them to be happy being passed around or out being shown off though. They have a tendancy to spray pee/poop when scared (which is pretty often).
Re: new member
Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:30 pm
by robkeep
It did spay poo on my son, but it was only once. I'm just leaving the front of the tank open during the day, and trying to spend a bit of time with him/her, so it gets used to me. I will use food as an interaction opportunity, but it doesn't seem too bothered at present. i think it will take a while.
Re: new member
Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:48 am
by Kbell31
"Don't expect them to be happy being passed around or out being shown off though. They have a tendancy to spray pee/poop when scared (which is pretty often)."
I did not associate them w this behavior, good to know! I was considering a tannimbar as my next skink. They are so gorgeous but I would much prefer a more handable one personally.
Re: new member
Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:55 am
by xxmonitorlizardxx
Re: new member
Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:55 am
by xxmonitorlizardxx
4th favorite skink species

Re: new member
Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:26 am
by Kbell31
Thanks ML, read it and think I will view them from the pictures on here

Re: new member
Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:08 pm
by robkeep
He doesn't seem to be eating much either, although I'm not sure as yet how much he will normally eat. Tried all sorts of greens and fruits, along with cat food, dried mealworms, and meat, but he still seems quite alert and otherwise healthy.
how much is normal?
Re: new member
Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:31 pm
by Fatal_S
For me a meal about the size of the skinks head is normal. Usually they wont eat the whole meal (depends how long since the last meal).