new member
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
robkeep
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 5
- Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:23 am
- Country:
- Location: cheshire, England
new member
Just to introduce myself and my BTS, who hsan't really got a name yet, although my wife can think of a few! I've had him about 3 weeks now. At first he seemed very aggressive when I handled him, so I've decided to give him some space now, and let him settle in fully. He doesn't seem to have much of an appetite, but his colour seems good. I'm not sure what type of BTS he is, and don't know much about his background. A work colleague of my wife's wanted to re-house it as it was her sons, and he had left home without it.
I'll try to upload some photo's of him/her. I get the feeling he/she thinks themself to be a snake!
I'll try to upload some photo's of him/her. I get the feeling he/she thinks themself to be a snake!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
Re: new member
Welcome to the site! Congratulations on the new skink. It looks like a silver Tanimbar to me.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
-
DevDomSki
Re: new member
Welcome!
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: new member
Welcome!! Like Jeff said, looks like you have a silver Tanimbar. Very cute!! 
-
robkeep
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 5
- Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:23 am
- Country:
- Location: cheshire, England
Re: new member
I gather these are not the friendliest skinks around!
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: new member
From what I've heard, they aren't unfriendly as in aggressive - just skittish. But some people on here have tannies that are quite friendly, it just takes time. I'm sure people who own these guys can give you some tips. 
-
robkeep
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 5
- Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:23 am
- Country:
- Location: cheshire, England
Re: new member
all tips gratefully recieved!
- Kbell31
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 484
- Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:12 pm
- Country:
- Location: Ohio
Re: new member
oooo its so pretty, love it!
When life gets difficult, always remember you are being planted NOT buried!
- phaemas
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 550
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 am
- Country:
- Location: winnipeg,manitoba, canada
Re: new member
Just be thankful you don't have mel's ''little jerk'' XD I met him in person and he was just adorable with his aggression!Lovely skinkers though!
- NennaMeerkat
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 300
- Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:24 am
- Country:
- Location: Fort Worth Texas
Re: new member
Welcome to the site and beautiful skink! I had an aggressive guy (though he isn't the same as yours) who was also a rehoming. He has calmed down a lot once he got used to my voice, my touch, and generally everything else new. I bet eventually yours will get used to all the new stuff too.
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: new member
I have 4 Tanimbars right now. 1 is a big silver female and is very tame and friendly. My two yellows are both a bit defensive but pretty easy to handle and such. My WC Tanimbar is a total spaz who tries to run constantly and bites if I go near him. I wouldn't describe them as aggressive, just extremely shy and defensive. With patience and lots of positive interactions (from the skinks POV) they tame down nicely and can be nice skink-friends. Don't expect them to be happy being passed around or out being shown off though. They have a tendancy to spray pee/poop when scared (which is pretty often).
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
-
robkeep
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 5
- Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:23 am
- Country:
- Location: cheshire, England
Re: new member
It did spay poo on my son, but it was only once. I'm just leaving the front of the tank open during the day, and trying to spend a bit of time with him/her, so it gets used to me. I will use food as an interaction opportunity, but it doesn't seem too bothered at present. i think it will take a while.
- Kbell31
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 484
- Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:12 pm
- Country:
- Location: Ohio
Re: new member
"Don't expect them to be happy being passed around or out being shown off though. They have a tendancy to spray pee/poop when scared (which is pretty often)."
I did not associate them w this behavior, good to know! I was considering a tannimbar as my next skink. They are so gorgeous but I would much prefer a more handable one personally.
I did not associate them w this behavior, good to know! I was considering a tannimbar as my next skink. They are so gorgeous but I would much prefer a more handable one personally.
When life gets difficult, always remember you are being planted NOT buried!
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: new member
A good read on them:
http://seikereptiles.com/seikereptiles/ ... tannys.htm
http://seikereptiles.com/seikereptiles/ ... tannys.htm
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: new member
4th favorite skink species 

- Kbell31
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 484
- Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:12 pm
- Country:
- Location: Ohio
Re: new member
Thanks ML, read it and think I will view them from the pictures on here 
When life gets difficult, always remember you are being planted NOT buried!
-
robkeep
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 5
- Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:23 am
- Country:
- Location: cheshire, England
Re: new member
He doesn't seem to be eating much either, although I'm not sure as yet how much he will normally eat. Tried all sorts of greens and fruits, along with cat food, dried mealworms, and meat, but he still seems quite alert and otherwise healthy.
how much is normal?
how much is normal?
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: new member
For me a meal about the size of the skinks head is normal. Usually they wont eat the whole meal (depends how long since the last meal).
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 165 guests
