I've noticed a slight raise in the mouth area of my BTS that's been there since I got him. I thought at first It might resolve itself but it doesn't seem to be going away. It's slightly redish and raised out, it doesn't seem to be getting any worse but it's also not getting any better. I tried to get good pics but It wasn't easy!!
If someone with experience on mouth issues could give me their opinion on weather or not I should go to a vet over this It would be appreciated!
Is this something I should be concerned about?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- SFBlueTongue81
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 85
- Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:48 am
- Country:
- Location: San Francisco
Is this something I should be concerned about?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 Northern BTS
- WanderingChai
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 627
- Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: New York
Re: Is this something I should be concerned about?
Is it sloughing?
Try checking his teeth to make sure nothing is rubbing.
Try checking his teeth to make sure nothing is rubbing.
If love is a labor, I'll slave to the end.
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: Is this something I should be concerned about?
Mouth issues like that seem to be somewhat common. Check the inside of the mouth for any redness or signs of infection. If the inside of the mouth looks fine, then I'd just keep it clean and watch to make sure it doesn't get worse. Some BTS have odd scales around the mouth that don't go away but never worsen.
If there is any sign of redness or infection, any swelling or discharge then take him to a vet right away. And if it gets worse I'd do the same. But if the inside looks completely healthy and it is just an odd scale or two on the outside, I wouldn't worry - it seems to happen and isn't a problem.
If there is any sign of redness or infection, any swelling or discharge then take him to a vet right away. And if it gets worse I'd do the same. But if the inside looks completely healthy and it is just an odd scale or two on the outside, I wouldn't worry - it seems to happen and isn't a problem.
- SFBlueTongue81
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 85
- Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:48 am
- Country:
- Location: San Francisco
Re: Is this something I should be concerned about?
From what I can tell from looking with a flash light there doesn't seem to be any other symptoms like that. It sounds like it is what you say and just a scale out of place, I was hoping it might be something like that.
At least now I know what to look for if it is something worse. Thanks for the help!!
At least now I know what to look for if it is something worse. Thanks for the help!!
1 Northern BTS
- JMiller24
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 79
- Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:44 pm
- Country:
- Location: Hanover, PA
Re: Is this something I should be concerned about?
Stupid question, but how do you make them open their mouths so you can look in?
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: Is this something I should be concerned about?
JMiller24 wrote:Stupid question, but how do you make them open their mouths so you can look in?
My vet uses popsicle sticks, I use pens or something similar. They will bite onto it and you can somewhat pry their mouths open carefully. Or just feed them / watch them and wait for a big yawn. Sometimes after a big meal they will gape a bit to stuff the food down and you get a great view of their mouths / teeth.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 242 guests
