female behavior after mating

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
kl
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 508
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:37 pm
Country:
Location: Massachusetts

female behavior after mating

Postby kl » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:36 am

I have noticed with several females over the last few yrs that almost every time after they mate, they expel fluid out of the vent. I am concerned that by doing this, they are getting viable sperm out of them and then there's less chance to become gravid. I realize that it is nearly impossible for them to remove 100% of it but let's face it, the less there is, the less likely for the mating to be effective. Has anyone else noticed this besides me? Sometimes I even hold the females upside down for a few minutes to prevent it but they still sometimes do it right in my hands which is disgusting.

Kim
User avatar
Kbell31
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 484
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:12 pm
Country:
Location: Ohio

Re: female behavior after mating

Postby Kbell31 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:20 pm

I would imagine if this is in fact a common observance in females after mating it is best to just let them do it and not interfere by holding them upside down. Since mating in animals is done for procreation only, why would a female skink basically inhibit herself from becoming pregnant by flushing out all the sperm afterwards? It doesnt make sense to me, so thats why I would assume it is a natural behavior and the skink knows what she is doing. Idk, Im curious to a more knowledgeable answer on this.
When life gets difficult, always remember you are being planted NOT buried!
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: female behavior after mating

Postby Richard.C » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:25 pm

i noticed it with my kimberley females kim,easier to notice on newspaper i guess,id never noticed it before but have heard of it,id say its normal

watching them through pregnacy and this western of mine,has anyone ever noticed females squirming/like pushing babies into a more comfy position 4 to 6 weeks before actually birthing
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: female behavior after mating

Postby Katrina » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:11 pm

Yeah, my female Merauke did this after the first 4-5 matings this spring but then not after the later matings. I'm not sure if she is gravid, it was only about a month ago that they were mating, but they ended up breeding 8-9 times.
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: female behavior after mating

Postby Jeff » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:08 pm

Most of my females have done it, but only once or twice a year out of 5-8 successful copulations. It always frustrates me but I always get as many good copulations as I can so that even if that one was fruitless it won't matter too much.

Are your females doing it every time? I kind of assumed that it was just when the male caught her when she had to "go". If it is related to being overly hydrated, maybe you could limit access to water some during the short breeding period?
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: female behavior after mating

Postby Richard.C » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:28 pm

i think its just exess,
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: female behavior after mating

Postby Fatal_S » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:33 pm

I just bred a female for her first time and had this happen. Later the male tasted it then ran around wiping his mouth on everything. I take it it's not so yummy.
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: female behavior after mating

Postby Richard.C » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:59 pm

pmsl,the male said ewwwwwwwwwwww

my thinking is they cant hold alot in them so excess spills,they may just need a flush so to speak
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: female behavior after mating

Postby Fatal_S » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:26 pm

Now I've had it happen a couple times, always with females who weren't too happy about breeding.
kl
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 508
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:37 pm
Country:
Location: Massachusetts

Re: female behavior after mating

Postby kl » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:52 pm

It probably happens a lot more than people think. Now that I've mentioned it some people will probably notice. As I said earlier, how many people stand there and watch the female for several minutes after she's mated to even notice it.

KL
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: female behavior after mating

Postby Fatal_S » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:32 pm

The ones I saw happened right after mating.
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: female behavior after mating

Postby Jeff » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:20 pm

kl wrote:It probably happens a lot more than people think. Now that I've mentioned it some people will probably notice. As I said earlier, how many people stand there and watch the female for several minutes after she's mated to even notice it.

KL


I'm embarrassed to admit, I do. If I got paid for the hours I watch my skinks, I would probably be a millionaire. :oops:
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
kl
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 508
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:37 pm
Country:
Location: Massachusetts

Re: female behavior after mating

Postby kl » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:21 pm

It is impossible to get it all out as it's going to coat the tissue and it's sticky. Hopefully it does not stop a female from getting gravid because mine do it. Sometimes they expel it within seconds and often times they do it a minute or 2 later after you place them back in their cage. Try holding the female after mating, for a few minutes and see if that works.

Kim
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: female behavior after mating

Postby Jeff » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:27 pm

Even if you only get one copulation, and the female expels the semen afterwards,there is still a decent chance that she will be impregnated. The litter will likely be smaller than a that of a female who copulated multiple times, but one time is definitely enough to get the job done.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
User avatar
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott
Posts: 4362
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 am
Country:
Location: Central Victoria, Australia

Re: female behavior after mating

Postby Scotts1au » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:58 pm

Reproductive chemistry is a complex area, the expulsion of fluid is probably a normal response to condition the reproductive tract to give the sperm the best chance of survival and to get to where they need to alive. I think you will find that it is to alter the pH and introduce hormones to support the sperm in their travels.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 154 guests