Page 1 of 1
Some Quick Questions (Humid Hide/Toe Shed)
Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:15 pm
by JMiller24
Hi, if anyone has the time I had two quick questions.
1. I have a half log in the terrarium for my BTS. I've heard that I could put some sphagnum moss in there and create a humid hide. My questions then are, A. how much moss should I put in? Should i cover the ground in the log entirely, or put a bit on the side? B. How wet should the moss be, and should I keep it that wet all the time or only when he starts shedding?
2. I discussed shedding in another thread, but I just wanted to make sure. Toothless's last shed went really well, except for some shed on a couple of his toes. We tried soaking him in the tub, but it still wouldn't come off. I even tried peeling it with tweezers but it's on there tight. Seeing as how I, apparently, can't get it off myself, what do you guys suggest I do? How long should I wait to take him to the vets? His next shed should be coming up any day now, is it possible that the stuff on his toes from the last shed comes off during this new shed or will it get worse?
Thanks guys!
Re: Some Quick Questions (Humid Hide/Toe Shed)
Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:45 pm
by batsam
is it possible to get yourself, either online or in store, some Exo Terra Aquatize water conditioner? as i've mentioned in another post.. I put some in my indo's bath and it literally began to slime/slide right off, even his feet came off like perfect gloves!
Re: Some Quick Questions (Humid Hide/Toe Shed)
Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:48 pm
by Kbell31
It is possible the old shed will come off with the new shed coming up. I do think it can build up though, so just keep an eye on it. If you tried soaking him and it still didnt come off I dont know what to tell you.
Does anyone know if it is safe to add a couple drops of Olive oil to the water when soaking off stubborn shed? Would that help?
As for the log, I dont have any experience with humid hides but Im sure someone will chime in soon.
Re: Some Quick Questions (Humid Hide/Toe Shed)
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:11 pm
by Katrina
Are you sure there is stuck shed on the toes? Some of mine have toe damage and it looks like it is stuck shed, but it is just damaged scales. I've used olive oil directly on the feet to moisturize, that should help loosen shed. Having a shed coming up should actually help get stuck shed off, I'd just moisturize with olive oil and make sure when he sheds this time that he sheds fully.
I'd heard all of the shedding aids are just a waste of money, if conditions are right they won't need any product to help them shed.
You can add as much moss as you want in and wet it as much as you can... it will probably dry out quickly, because the half log isn't very closed in - but keep it damp and use as much as you want. It will help some, having a bit more enclosed humid hide will prevent it from drying out so quickly. But adding moist moss is a good idea, just be prepared for him to track it everywhere.

Re: Some Quick Questions (Humid Hide/Toe Shed)
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:04 pm
by JMiller24
Thanks guys!! Katrina, I'll try and check tonight to see if they might be damaged scales. I didn't even think of that. As always I appreciate the answers guys!!
Re: Some Quick Questions (Humid Hide/Toe Shed)
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:07 pm
by Katrina
JMiller24 wrote:Thanks guys!! Katrina, I'll try and check tonight to see if they might be damaged scales. I didn't even think of that. As always I appreciate the answers guys!!
Can you get pictures? There are some pics in here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17987 all of those are just damage, not stuck shed (problems may have been caused by stuck shed earlier, but in the pictures there isn't any). I'm not sure if that helps.
Re: Some Quick Questions (Humid Hide/Toe Shed)
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:49 pm
by JMiller24
Actually, hmmm check this out.
in this picture you posted

Starting from the left, look at the second toe (the one to the left of the swollen toe). See that little band that wraps around the center. That is kind of what Toothless has on one or two of his toes. It doesn't come off.
Re: Some Quick Questions (Humid Hide/Toe Shed)
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:50 pm
by JMiller24
* not quite the center, a little closer to the foot. His band is a little smaller.
Re: Some Quick Questions (Humid Hide/Toe Shed)
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:10 pm
by JMiller24
That mean anything to you Katrina?
Re: Some Quick Questions (Humid Hide/Toe Shed)
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:23 pm
by Katrina
If it looks like that one toe, the I wouldn't worry too much. I know I've caused more harm than good by being overly zealous about trying to get rid of stuck shed, which in the end was really only damaged / scarred toes. I'd just moisturize with olive oil regularly and wait for the next shed - sometimes the second shed does a ton of good in getting rid of old scales. Having one layer of scales on there won't cause major problems for a second shed, the next shed should help take off any older layers.
Those toes in the picture have no stuck shed, it is just weird damage / odd scales. Good luck!