Hi, if anyone has the time I had two quick questions.
1. I have a half log in the terrarium for my BTS. I've heard that I could put some sphagnum moss in there and create a humid hide. My questions then are, A. how much moss should I put in? Should i cover the ground in the log entirely, or put a bit on the side? B. How wet should the moss be, and should I keep it that wet all the time or only when he starts shedding?
2. I discussed shedding in another thread, but I just wanted to make sure. Toothless's last shed went really well, except for some shed on a couple of his toes. We tried soaking him in the tub, but it still wouldn't come off. I even tried peeling it with tweezers but it's on there tight. Seeing as how I, apparently, can't get it off myself, what do you guys suggest I do? How long should I wait to take him to the vets? His next shed should be coming up any day now, is it possible that the stuff on his toes from the last shed comes off during this new shed or will it get worse?
Thanks guys!
Some Quick Questions (Humid Hide/Toe Shed)
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- JMiller24
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 79
- Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:44 pm
- Country:
- Location: Hanover, PA
- batsam
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 32
- Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:52 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: Some Quick Questions (Humid Hide/Toe Shed)
is it possible to get yourself, either online or in store, some Exo Terra Aquatize water conditioner? as i've mentioned in another post.. I put some in my indo's bath and it literally began to slime/slide right off, even his feet came off like perfect gloves!
- Kbell31
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 484
- Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:12 pm
- Country:
- Location: Ohio
Re: Some Quick Questions (Humid Hide/Toe Shed)
It is possible the old shed will come off with the new shed coming up. I do think it can build up though, so just keep an eye on it. If you tried soaking him and it still didnt come off I dont know what to tell you.
Does anyone know if it is safe to add a couple drops of Olive oil to the water when soaking off stubborn shed? Would that help?
As for the log, I dont have any experience with humid hides but Im sure someone will chime in soon.
Does anyone know if it is safe to add a couple drops of Olive oil to the water when soaking off stubborn shed? Would that help?
As for the log, I dont have any experience with humid hides but Im sure someone will chime in soon.
When life gets difficult, always remember you are being planted NOT buried!
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: Some Quick Questions (Humid Hide/Toe Shed)
Are you sure there is stuck shed on the toes? Some of mine have toe damage and it looks like it is stuck shed, but it is just damaged scales. I've used olive oil directly on the feet to moisturize, that should help loosen shed. Having a shed coming up should actually help get stuck shed off, I'd just moisturize with olive oil and make sure when he sheds this time that he sheds fully.
I'd heard all of the shedding aids are just a waste of money, if conditions are right they won't need any product to help them shed.
You can add as much moss as you want in and wet it as much as you can... it will probably dry out quickly, because the half log isn't very closed in - but keep it damp and use as much as you want. It will help some, having a bit more enclosed humid hide will prevent it from drying out so quickly. But adding moist moss is a good idea, just be prepared for him to track it everywhere.
I'd heard all of the shedding aids are just a waste of money, if conditions are right they won't need any product to help them shed.
You can add as much moss as you want in and wet it as much as you can... it will probably dry out quickly, because the half log isn't very closed in - but keep it damp and use as much as you want. It will help some, having a bit more enclosed humid hide will prevent it from drying out so quickly. But adding moist moss is a good idea, just be prepared for him to track it everywhere.
- JMiller24
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 79
- Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:44 pm
- Country:
- Location: Hanover, PA
Re: Some Quick Questions (Humid Hide/Toe Shed)
Thanks guys!! Katrina, I'll try and check tonight to see if they might be damaged scales. I didn't even think of that. As always I appreciate the answers guys!!
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: Some Quick Questions (Humid Hide/Toe Shed)
JMiller24 wrote:Thanks guys!! Katrina, I'll try and check tonight to see if they might be damaged scales. I didn't even think of that. As always I appreciate the answers guys!!
Can you get pictures? There are some pics in here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17987 all of those are just damage, not stuck shed (problems may have been caused by stuck shed earlier, but in the pictures there isn't any). I'm not sure if that helps.
- JMiller24
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 79
- Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:44 pm
- Country:
- Location: Hanover, PA
Re: Some Quick Questions (Humid Hide/Toe Shed)
Actually, hmmm check this out.
in this picture you posted

Starting from the left, look at the second toe (the one to the left of the swollen toe). See that little band that wraps around the center. That is kind of what Toothless has on one or two of his toes. It doesn't come off.
in this picture you posted

Starting from the left, look at the second toe (the one to the left of the swollen toe). See that little band that wraps around the center. That is kind of what Toothless has on one or two of his toes. It doesn't come off.
- JMiller24
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 79
- Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:44 pm
- Country:
- Location: Hanover, PA
Re: Some Quick Questions (Humid Hide/Toe Shed)
* not quite the center, a little closer to the foot. His band is a little smaller.
- JMiller24
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 79
- Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:44 pm
- Country:
- Location: Hanover, PA
Re: Some Quick Questions (Humid Hide/Toe Shed)
That mean anything to you Katrina?
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: Some Quick Questions (Humid Hide/Toe Shed)
If it looks like that one toe, the I wouldn't worry too much. I know I've caused more harm than good by being overly zealous about trying to get rid of stuck shed, which in the end was really only damaged / scarred toes. I'd just moisturize with olive oil regularly and wait for the next shed - sometimes the second shed does a ton of good in getting rid of old scales. Having one layer of scales on there won't cause major problems for a second shed, the next shed should help take off any older layers.
Those toes in the picture have no stuck shed, it is just weird damage / odd scales. Good luck!
Those toes in the picture have no stuck shed, it is just weird damage / odd scales. Good luck!
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 284 guests
