Page 1 of 1

Strange halmahera indo

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:49 pm
by xxmonitorlizardxx

Re: Strange halmahera indo

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:53 pm
by xxmonitorlizardxx
Image

Re: Strange halmahera indo

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:51 pm
by mark_w
There were some of these or similar brought in to Germany a year or two ago. Beautiful. Not at all easy to find and you could argue that is a reasonable price for a pair, but I would want to breed it true, i.e. with other similar looking animals from the same locale/island/population.

Re: Strange halmahera indo

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:15 pm
by Katrina
I wouldn't be surprised if the colors are real - some of the gigas skinks have pretty incredible colors, you get pics with the right lighting after a shed (and you know what you're doing, instead of just putting it on "auto" setting like me!) and they could look really stunning.

I'm not sure it is worth $5000 though. I don't know enough about the availability of similar BTS or how rare these guys are in general (if it is a locale), but I'm not sure any gigas is worth that kind of money when they are still available WC. I wouldn't pay that, but if one person does then I guess it is worth it - at least to some.

It is very pretty, the color variations of gigas BTS is amazing.

Re: Strange halmahera indo

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:01 pm
by xxmonitorlizardxx
Woah now reading the description, they say it has a pink tongue!!! Does anyone think it maybe T-albino?
Edit: I mean t+albino

Re: Strange halmahera indo

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:10 pm
by Fatal_S
I think you're confused about what an albino looks like...

It's normal for indos to have mostly-pink tongues. IMO this is a nice skink worth $100-$500. However chances are there are lots of them out there and we'll see more and more showing up soon.

Re: Strange halmahera indo

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:23 pm
by xxmonitorlizardxx
Looks almost exactly like crystal palace's albino indos.

Re: Strange halmahera indo

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:25 pm
by Jeff
Katrina wrote:...but I'm not sure any gigas is worth that kind of money when they are still available WC. I wouldn't pay that...


I agree 100%!!! I have been offered albino gigas for less than half that much. I will never fault anyone from asking whatever price they want to for a skink, but I would be absolutely shocked if they get much over $200-$ 300 for that one. It is nothing more than an attractive skink from Indonesia.

Re: Strange halmahera indo

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:26 pm
by Jeff
J.J., that is not even close to an albino.

Re: Strange halmahera indo

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:02 pm
by Bird_Brain
Lets not all forget there are different types of albinism...

Re: Strange halmahera indo

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:16 pm
by Jeff
ReptileKing wrote:Lets not all forget there are different types of albinism...


Yeh, but none of them look anything like those skinks!

Re: Strange halmahera indo

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:28 pm
by Alioop
From what I've seen of Halmaheras, its not unusual for them to have that reddish coloring. So while these guys are pretty, I don't think there is anything all that unusual or rare about them. The price is ridiculous for these guys, both because I don't think they're all that rare, and because they're WC.. but who knows? maybe they produce urates of solid gold. Then its a pretty sweet deal!

Re: Strange halmahera indo

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:29 pm
by Bird_Brain
Do we even know what/if T+ albinism is in a BTS? Sorta like the difference between an Albino Ball Python and a Caramel Albino Ball Python.

Re: Strange halmahera indo

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:36 pm
by Karen
I think it perhaps could be something similar to a T+ albino. While I was doing my research in preparation of getting a boa, I saw a lot of T+ albino boas that have that same sort of caramel-y look and washed out brown where black should be.

This guy has a few good pictures that show that.
http://www.burkereptiles.com/Docs/Tplus.htm

Re: Strange halmahera indo

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:08 pm
by GlblCptvBrdrs
I'm sorry that there wasn't a general agreement as to the value of my caramel BTS. Maybe my leucistics or melanistics will get you going.

Re: Strange halmahera indo

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:27 pm
by Katrina
GlblCptvBrdrs wrote:I'm sorry that there wasn't a general agreement as to the value of my caramel BTS. Maybe my leucistics or melanistics will get you going.


I wouldn't worry that some wouldn't pay for that - it could be worth it to someone. I'd love to see more pics of your animals or to hear more about the caramel BTS - you add implies you have many of them, did you breed them? What info do you have on these caramels? Welcome to the forum!!

Re: Strange halmahera indo

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:43 am
by Bird_Brain
GlblCptvBrdrs wrote:I'm sorry that there wasn't a general agreement as to the value of my caramel BTS. Maybe my leucistics or melanistics will get you going.

I dont think you need to be "sorry" or upset of what people think of your asking price. That being said, I did check out your website and curious as to how you are able to keep Pygmy BTS? Also, the "Irian Jaya Locale" BTS you have for sale appears to actually be T. gigas gigas, the Indonesian BTS.

Re: Strange halmahera indo

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:10 pm
by xxmonitorlizardxx
WOAH!!! I saw pics of the melaninistic ones!!! They are awesome!!!!