Mel's Grandkids

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Mel's Grandkids

Postby Katrina » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:20 pm

Lemon1 - post pictures here!! :D *Lemon1 has two other siblings.

I have two juvenile Northerns that I got from Fatal_S, they are half siblings. Same father, two different ladies. Here are some comparison shots of them.

Note - you shouldn't put two BTS together unless you are very, very careful. They can bite / attack each other and so it isn't a good idea unless you are watching very carefully and ready to break them up immediately. I only did this quickly to grab some comparison pics, they generally don't hang out together ever. :wink:

The larger one is Sami, I'm thinking female. Smaller one is unsexed and only known as Baby QD. I need a name for him/her and thinking of continuing with the "naming after places" trend that my mom started with the Meraukes. I have a Nevada, Phoenix and Roswell... suggestions for a name for this guy? The boyfriend suggested a Texas name, maybe Dallas, Houston or Austin? Thoughts?

Sami was born end of July last year, Baby QD end of August.
DSC_0021.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0028.JPG

DSC_0027.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Mel's Grandkids

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:32 pm

I <3 QD
If you line breed you might almost get solid black animals!
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Re: Mel's Grandkids

Postby StaceyLeigh » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:27 pm

Wow, gorgeous skinks, I love the huge variety you get in the Northerns!
User avatar
SFBlueTongue81
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:48 am
Country:
Location: San Francisco

Re: Mel's Grandkids

Postby SFBlueTongue81 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:31 pm

Wow! dark and beautiful~!!
1 Northern BTS
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Mel's Grandkids

Postby Fatal_S » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:58 pm

Wow, Sami has really gotten into her adult colors <3 I love the comparison. I'll get a photo of Bomber tomorrow for here. As for names I'd try for something non-gender (though I'm leaning towards female as they've grown up). Tucson? That's where I've been down south. I kept the letters QD but I've been pronouncing it Cutie this whole time. And Bombers original name (TP) always makes me think about toilet paper. I just googled QD and it suggests Qdoba the mexican grill thingy. I'm terrible with names...
User avatar
lemon1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:29 pm
Country:
Location: Winnipeg

Re: Mel's Grandkids

Postby lemon1 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:07 pm

I am going to post some tomorrow . I have one from each mom too . Sami and QD are so cute . When did you get QD ? How is he adjusting . QD was so big compared to the others maybe something big like texas . .............. I don't know lol
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Mel's Grandkids

Postby Richard.C » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:34 pm

nice looking pair,love the orange coloring with there darkness,they do show alot of variation,northerns
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Mel's Grandkids

Postby Katrina » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:56 am

Thanks all. Can't wait to see pics of the other siblings. Mel - can you get pics of Fluke, Wasp and Evita as well? I'd love to see parents too! :D I think Wasp is one of my favorite Northerns ever.

I got QD just this week - Thursday morning.

The variation in Northerns is just incredible. There are so many beautiful different looks / colors. I'm very excited to start breeding these guys and see offspring from them. My other female northern is much 'peachier' colored and not nearly as dark and my male has some nice orange to him, so should be some interesting combinations. It will be difficult not to keep lots of holdbacks just to see how they end up.
Ñie
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:40 am
Country:
Location: Spain

Re: Mel's Grandkids

Postby Ñie » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:38 am

They are awsome!
User avatar
Kbell31
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 484
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:12 pm
Country:
Location: Ohio

Re: Mel's Grandkids

Postby Kbell31 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:05 pm

Both are gorgeous! But I really love the look of that smaller one
When life gets difficult, always remember you are being planted NOT buried!
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Mel's Grandkids

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:09 pm

Santa Fe or just Fe...
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
phaemas
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 am
Country:
Location: winnipeg,manitoba, canada

Re: Mel's Grandkids

Postby phaemas » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:28 pm

How about Winnipeg or ''Peggie'' or ''winnie'' for short?

Kamloops,Pinatan,I like Dallas
User avatar
lemon1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:29 pm
Country:
Location: Winnipeg

Re: Mel's Grandkids

Postby lemon1 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:02 pm

Pics of Pekoe. I will post some of Larry tomorrow. Pekoe loved Celebrity Apprentice :D
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Re: Mel's Grandkids

Postby StaceyLeigh » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:31 am

Wow, Pekoe has great contrasting colors! Stunning.
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Mel's Grandkids

Postby Katrina » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:07 am

Aww! Pekoe is gorgeous. What a pretty little skink! His front legs are so light. Looking forward to Larry pics. :D

I think that QD will end up looking a bit more like Sami, with white flecking etc and not the solid black on the back. Sami used to have the almost solid black as well, so I don't think QD will end up with that as an adult. Might not work for line breeding but he should still be a very dark looking Northern. Here is some of the Sami baby pics, you can see how much flecking came in along the back: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18933&p=380911#p380911
User avatar
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
Country:
Location: New York

Re: Mel's Grandkids

Postby WanderingChai » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:00 am

adorable little guys.
If love is a labor, I'll slave to the end.
User avatar
lemon1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:29 pm
Country:
Location: Winnipeg

Re: Mel's Grandkids

Postby lemon1 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:28 am

I love seeing the baby pics . Sam looks a lot different , Larry is a lot darker than Pekoe . I will take pics today . Pekoe is easier to take out because she never pees or poos when we take her out . Larry always pees and poops while out so you can't just relax with him on the couch till he's done his business . This means letting him wonder around for awhile :)
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Mel's Grandkids

Postby Fatal_S » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:13 pm

Just posting a couple photos :)
Evita:
Image
Fluke:
Image
Wasp:
Image
Fluke x Wasp:
Image
Baby Bomber:
Image
Image

Fluke and Wasp produced the second litter which included QD, Pekoe and Bomber. They've bred 2x so far this season and I've only just started pairing them :)
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Mel's Grandkids

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:22 pm

Sami looks like an Evita clone!!!
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
lemon1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:29 pm
Country:
Location: Winnipeg

Re: Mel's Grandkids

Postby lemon1 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:48 pm

Larry looks like Evita too . I think QD looks a lot like Wasp . I have no idea who Pekoe looks like

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 378 guests