Indonesians

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
nightroses
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:59 am
Country:
Location: denver, co

Indonesians

Postby nightroses » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:50 pm

I was just wondering I keep hearing that my little baby indo is gonna be mean when she/he grows up.. it is a captive bred baby and is nice now kind of skittish but nice so is this true? Is my little baby gonna end up hating me as an adult? I hope it is not a stupid question I would have done more research on Indo's had I known that that was what they were sending me but they did not tell me till she/he was already almost here (kind of upsetting that she was different from what was advertised) but I love her/him anyway.
This is my first BTS and first reptile so please be patient with me and give me all the knowledge that you want I am here to learn.
User avatar
Gail
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:35 am
Country:

Re: Indonesians

Postby Gail » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:57 am

I'm far from a expert om skinks but from what I've read, there is no reason to believe that your baby will be mean. Most indo's are wild caught and those ones can be difficult but if you have a captive bred baby, I wouldn't worry about it.
Curious, what was it advertised as?
1.1 Northerns, Cyanide and Happiness
0.1 Indo, Pepper
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: Indonesians

Postby Jeff » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:32 am

Are you saying that they sold you one species of bts, then sent you a different species? That would be fraud. I would also not consider taking their word for it that your skink is captive BRED if they do that kind of thing. It may have been captive BORN, but that is a very different thing.

With that being said, there is no reason that your skink will grow up to be "mean". If you start with a young skink and interact wiith it regularly, I believe that pretty much all species of bts will make great pets as adults. The key is to continue handling it if you want it to be handleable.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Indonesians

Postby Katrina » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:52 am

It is very unlikely that your skink is captive bred. Indonesians are almost never bred in captivity, so I would say that there is a 99% chance that your skink was captive born, like Jeff said, but not captive bred. They likely imported the mother while she was gravid and she gave birth in captivity. I'm sorry to hear that you weren't sent the species you were expecting.

I wouldn't worry about your skink being mean - if you gain its trust and handle / interact regularly it will be just fine. Adult Indos are harder to tame because they are generally wild caught, but people have tamed them successfully. From what I've heard, they are more skittish than mean, but that does vary by individual.
nightroses
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:59 am
Country:
Location: denver, co

Re: Indonesians

Postby nightroses » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:00 pm

Well I ordered online and it said they were Northers I through a fit when they told me she/he was an Indo when she/he was already on her/his way and they changed the wording on the website. I am ok with what I got I mean I love her/him its just that I got a BTS because of how sweet they are and I dont want to miss out on that. They did say that she/he was captive bred but I dont trust them so you guys are probably right. She/he is really young so I hope she/he will be the little skink Im hoping for. They said that their suppliers were from reptile shows if that helps figure out the captive bred thing at all.
This is my first BTS and first reptile so please be patient with me and give me all the knowledge that you want I am here to learn.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 236 guests