Entering the Guessing Game!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!

Male or Female

Poll ended at Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:56 am

Male
8
73%
Female
3
27%
 
Total votes: 11
User avatar
SFBlueTongue81
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:48 am
Country:
Location: San Francisco

Entering the Guessing Game!

Postby SFBlueTongue81 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:56 am

Ok, he/she is 7 months old, what do you guys think? because I have absolutely no idea!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 Northern BTS
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Re: Entering the Guessing Game!

Postby StaceyLeigh » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:01 am

I don't usually post my opinion on these, since I am new at judging, but I am going with female, based on body shape.
Just curious, how long is she, for 7 months she looks a little small in the pictures?
User avatar
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
Country:
Location: New York

Re: Entering the Guessing Game!

Postby WanderingChai » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:07 am

I said male(bulge?), but I'm not too experienced with sexing...
If love is a labor, I'll slave to the end.
User avatar
SFBlueTongue81
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:48 am
Country:
Location: San Francisco

Re: Entering the Guessing Game!

Postby SFBlueTongue81 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:14 am

@StaceyLeigh yeah that's what I keep hearing on the forum that he/she is a little small for 7 months. When I got her from Zach and Holly he/she was almost 10" or so on Feb 4th, and now is almost 13" less than a month later! Which seems kinda fast, but maybe is just catching up now.
Thanks for the imput!
1 Northern BTS
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Entering the Guessing Game!

Postby Richard.C » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:19 am

i reckon male,looks solid head wise for its size,looks nice and healthy to 3 inches in a month is fast,theres nothing wrong with not getting them to adult size in 12 months either
User avatar
SFBlueTongue81
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:48 am
Country:
Location: San Francisco

Re: Entering the Guessing Game!

Postby SFBlueTongue81 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:40 am

Great! that's good to know. I'm not really sure how to slow it's growth down even If I wanted? I guess I could feed it less but it's weight seems just about right. I did start adding a little extra Calcium/D3 supplement per week, and I'm trying to get at least 3-4 days for trips out in the sun which isn't always easy to do in fog city!
I do have it's temps up to about 110 directly under the heat light for an inch or two but even an inch away it drops to 102 or so, other than that the majority of the hot side is 92-94 cold side around 71 and I almost never seem him over there, he's is always either under the light or on the hot side hide. Thanks for your input Richard! I'm glad to know he looks healthy!
Last edited by SFBlueTongue81 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 Northern BTS
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Entering the Guessing Game!

Postby Katrina » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:46 am

Looks very healthy! I can't really tell gender, looks a bit too young / small, but Richard would know better than me anyway.

How often are you feeding? I'd feed every 3 days or so, definitely add calcium. Looks healthy and gorgeous! :D Temps and everything sounds great.
User avatar
SFBlueTongue81
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:48 am
Country:
Location: San Francisco

Re: Entering the Guessing Game!

Postby SFBlueTongue81 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:17 am

Ah, maybe I should wait and ask again in a few months.
I've been giving about a Tbs. greens/squash+meat+raspberry+supplement puree mixture in the mornings everyday 50/40/10, with a few snail/worm treats on the side throughout the week.
You're doing every 3 days, maybe I'm over feeding! He's never refused food, and I've mostly been going by looks watching for any signs he's getting over weight! In these pics he had eaten and hadn't gone to the bathroom yet, but sometimes he actually looks a touch on the slim side before feeding.
Do you guys think he's growing too fast now? Maybe I should switch to every other day?
I appreciate the input Katrina thanks!
1 Northern BTS
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Entering the Guessing Game!

Postby Katrina » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:34 am

I usually cut back on feedings by that age. Babies seem to often be voracious feeders, so they might eat everything you offer. They won't get overweight at that age, just grow quick. I don't think you will do any harm feeding daily or cutting it back to every 2-3 days. I just find it much easier to feed over 2-3 days, they grow a bit slower but there is no rush to get them to adult size. They probably wouldn't find great meals every day in the wild, so feeding every 2-3 days and offering the odd treat of snails or worms in between is probably a bit closer to what their wild counterparts would experience (and less work for you).

Don't worry - lots of people feed daily, some feed every 3-5 days... in the end it won't matter, you will still have a healthy skink, he might just be full grown faster with more meals. Sometimes taking longer to get to full grown is good, gives the bones more time to strengthen and grow. :D But you haven't been doing anything wrong, don't worry!!
User avatar
SFBlueTongue81
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:48 am
Country:
Location: San Francisco

Re: Entering the Guessing Game!

Postby SFBlueTongue81 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:50 am

That actually sounds really good, feed the mix every other day and then add the snail treats in between! I think I'll give that a go. I don't want to make him grow too fast and have it's bones not be ready for it!!!Thanks again.

And.... there goes the great big poop all over my blanket...! He's skinny again.. XD

Edit: I've been making his food in batches about every 4-5 days. I know that's the maximum amount of time that Chicken is ok for people to eat after it's cooked, that seems to save a lot of time. Or I mix the Greens/squash/berries/supplement up and then add the meat daily since the veggies/fruit should be fine for well over a week or 10 days if fresh. I've been watching his poop and it seems well formed, I figure these guys eat Carrion in the wild so following food safety still only requires work almost every week ;-) that's my little system
Last edited by SFBlueTongue81 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 Northern BTS
A.VinczeBTs
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:30 pm
Country:
Location: Newmarket, Ontario

Re: Entering the Guessing Game!

Postby A.VinczeBTs » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:52 am

Also I find you have much better body shape when they're not full of poop and not after eating. My guy gets rounder at those times. :)

Post another pick after a poop!
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Re: Entering the Guessing Game!

Postby StaceyLeigh » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:19 pm

I'm probably not the best judge on size, since my 2 seem like they are huge for their age. Thor is 19 1/2" (10 months old), Ember is 17 1/4" (7 months old). I only feed 2x/week, but they are both big guys! Your looks very healthy!
User avatar
SFBlueTongue81
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:48 am
Country:
Location: San Francisco

Re: Entering the Guessing Game!

Postby SFBlueTongue81 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:08 pm

Oh wow! Yeah that was about the size of one of Ashe's brothers (Hans) at 7 months, so it does seem like that's pretty standard. I added nother one after poop, just a little slimmer on the sides hehe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 Northern BTS
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: Entering the Guessing Game!

Postby Jeff » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:38 pm

Looks male to me.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
User avatar
SFBlueTongue81
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:48 am
Country:
Location: San Francisco

Re: Entering the Guessing Game!

Postby SFBlueTongue81 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:00 pm

cool! thanks!!
1 Northern BTS
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Entering the Guessing Game!

Postby Richard.C » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:38 pm

feeding every day is fine,u mentioned feeding just a tea spoon,others may feed alot more food per sitting so less times per week,i think what you are doing is fine,he shouldnt get fat as hes growing,as they put it all into growth,hence the capability of being adult size under 12 months of age,1 of my kimberley females had her first litter at 12 months of age with her previous owner

your also adding calcium to the diet,and hes looking in great shape so nothing wrong with how you are raising him,probably the more natural way,but theres nothing wrong with them being adult size in a year either
User avatar
SFBlueTongue81
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:48 am
Country:
Location: San Francisco

Re: Entering the Guessing Game!

Postby SFBlueTongue81 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:30 pm

Wow litter at 1 year!
Thanks Richard. I really appreciate the advice.
1 Northern BTS
User avatar
SFBlueTongue81
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:48 am
Country:
Location: San Francisco

Re: Entering the Guessing Game!

Postby SFBlueTongue81 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:37 pm

Tada! Today I saw eversion of hemipenes when he pooped! you guys are good!!
1 Northern BTS
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Entering the Guessing Game!

Postby Richard.C » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:29 pm

pics can decieve sometimes though,yours just looked very male to me,good pics,alot of times from pics its easy to get it wrong

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 191 guests