These cages look ok?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Gail
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:35 am
Country:

These cages look ok?

Postby Gail » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:47 am

I've got the tanks set up and am working on getting the temps right. I was wondering how they look to you all? The tile with the bowls on top have a 2" space underneath for a hide and the one really large flat rock, also has a 2" space.
Should I take a grinder to the corner of the tile and smooth it out some? It seems kind of sharp. I plan on adding some fake greenery but for now I wanted to keep it simple.

First is a 40 gallon breeder.
Image
Image

this is a 75 gallon that I originally made for a bearded dragon. I removed the slider doors for ones with hinges instead.
Image
Image
1.1 Northerns, Cyanide and Happiness
0.1 Indo, Pepper
User avatar
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer
Posts: 1889
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:30 am
Country:
Location: Western Australia

Re: These cages look ok?

Postby Nae » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:06 am

Hmmm....With the first one, could you perhaps flip the rock so as then the bottom of the hide is touching the substrate? This is just my opinion, but I always feel that they are much more secure if they have something to fully bunker into, like submerging themselves in the substrate in a hide rather then laying flat on top of a rock. And maybe a hide on the cold ends for both, perhaps? But otherwise looks all good to me~!

For the stone, Ive mentioned this a few times to different people - Can you cut yourself on it? If no, then I wouldnt worry about it, as it definitely wont hurt a bluey. If yes or possibly if you held it for a while or something, then I would grind it down, but for your sake more so then the blueys - You dont want to cut yourself and then run the risk of dropping it onto your bluey or breaking something else in the tank/ your foot. :D
User avatar
Gail
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:35 am
Country:

Re: These cages look ok?

Postby Gail » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:03 pm

I'll see what I can do bout the hide in the first tank. I don't like where its at either but I wasn't quite sure what to do. I'm sure I can arange things to fit better.

The tile corners are fairly sharp but I don't think I could cut myself on them unless I hit it really hard. I think I'll grind the sharp part down just to be safe though.

Once the snow melts, I can go up into the mountain and get some really neat hollowed out birch logs for hides. The birch wood rots away leaving a nice tube of thin white bark behind. I think they should like that for a hide.
1.1 Northerns, Cyanide and Happiness
0.1 Indo, Pepper
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: These cages look ok?

Postby Linnea » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:36 pm

when using roots and wood, you need to make some precautions. you see after the snow melts - the insects that stay in them in MASSES wanna come out at random times! (even when you pick something in summer)

so, pick a few ones you like, not just one. place them on lots of newspapers (preferably on the floor) and make sure the room is warm. check every half hour underneath them.

then youre on the drying and baking in the oven part - follow instructions from other members since im not sure about it. i think its 200 C for a few mins and then once more later to be sure.

(i had a truly horrible experience when i was 6 years old and my teacher found this lovely piece of clean wood and placed it in the classroom, so i may be overreacting)

other than this, half logs and bark is super great as hides. my bts loves his long hide. i really recommend wood since its pretty too xD
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
Gail
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:35 am
Country:

Re: These cages look ok?

Postby Gail » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:07 pm

Oh, I know all about baking wood. That big piece in the larger viv had a slug in it, that was super nasty when baked. Slugs turn into jelly when cooked. I usually don't worry too much though, we don't have any dangerous or poison bugs around here.
1.1 Northerns, Cyanide and Happiness
0.1 Indo, Pepper
User avatar
NennaMeerkat
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 300
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:24 am
Country:
Location: Fort Worth Texas

Re: These cages look ok?

Postby NennaMeerkat » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:08 pm

Cork bark is GREAT for a skink that likes to burrow under substrate and have something flat above them. You can buy huge pieces of it for fairly cheap. And since they are flat pieces of bark the skink can crawl over them and move them around. My guy loves to push his piece under his half log hide and then burrow under it.

I love the setups you have too :) Nice big tanks! If you need more rock that is safe you can also buy fabricated fake rock that is made out of plaster (I think) and holds heat fairly well. I use it for my skink. Made a pile of them (since they come in a pack with different sizes and shapes) on the hot side. Noting he loves more than exploring in the cracks and wedging himself under some while still staying warm. And because he can get under them I don't need another hide on the hot side. Every so often I have to re-stack them but other than that they are great to have.
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: These cages look ok?

Postby Katrina » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:23 am

They look great. I wouldn't worry too much about grinding edges down - BTS are tough creatures and some rough surfaces will help keep nails down. :D
User avatar
Alioop
Loopy De Loop
Loopy De Loop
Posts: 2648
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:37 pm
Country:
Location: Buffalo, NY

Re: These cages look ok?

Postby Alioop » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:33 am

Gail wrote:Oh, I know all about baking wood. That big piece in the larger viv had a slug in it, that was super nasty when baked. Slugs turn into jelly when cooked.


:hurl:
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Alie-

1.0 Irian Jaya
1.1 Easterns

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 193 guests