Indonesian Baby Bluey

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
eskye
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:03 am
Country:
Location: United States

Indonesian Baby Bluey

Postby eskye » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:07 am

Hello,

After keeping track of this site for years as my obsession with skinks has run on, I have finally gotten myself a blue tongue skink. I've been in college for more than a semester, and decided I could finally have one. This was mostly fueled by the local reptile store getting a baby Indonesian blue tongue in. I bought him at about 5 1/2 inches about a month and a half ago, and he is now at exactly 6 inches. He has a healthy weight and drinks, though it seems to me that he eats very little. But as I have many amphibians who eat half their weight in food every feeding, I think my idea of his stomach is a bit skewed.

It seems to me that he is growing slowly, but I've searched around and found that they have very varying growth rates - any insight? I don't know how old he is exactly, other than that he was sold as a "baby" by the reptile store that is pretty darn expert at their husbandry. I've bought multiple animals from them.

I also wanted to know if earthworms were a viable part of the meat portion of his diet? I keep multiple tupperware containers stocked with earthworms that I feed salamanders, leopard geckos, smaller skinks, and frogs. It seems to me that it should be completely fine, and a much more nutritional part to his diet than say, waxworms or other common feeder worms. I wonder if he would take them chopped, or if I should offer small whole ones? He doesn't seem to take to waxworms or crickets, which I've tried giving him once or twice as treats on top of his food. He eventually ate the 2 week old cricket, after it being around for two days.

I've noticed that he is a picky eater. He tends to ignore his ground turkey all-natural dog food - which is wrapped, not canned. He likes to pick out the tiny pieces of red bellpepper or banana that I add on occasion, and his favorite thing is boiled egg. I think it's partially that I'm giving him too large a dish, and he is more able to become full just off of his favorites. Will this pickiness lessen if I cut down his food? He doesn't eat even a half of it. Less than a quarter, maybe. I paid attention to the diet chart and mostly feed things listed as "frequently" with the occasional bits thrown in.

I'd also like to ask about using baby food such as pureed squash and pear to supplement those parts of his diet. Would that work? It seems like it should, provided I get an all natural kind. I have a few crested geckos as well, and mix up some fruity baby food with supplements for them, so I'm wondering if I could give him a little of that and maybe buy him a squash one as well, as cooked squash is a bit harder for me to get for him now.

Also, I've found that he doesn't bask much. I almost never see him out from under his hides. I have one of those turtle basking platforms set up where the light is over it and a heating pad under it so that he can choose between lighted heat or hiding in the warmth. He chooses hiding 90% of the time. Is this worrisome? Gosh, I sure hope my skink isn't a vampire.

His defecation is normal, and I keep him on paper towels. After a while I introduced him to my numerous other lizards while handling - leopard gecko, african fat tail, and crocodile skink. They seem to be content to all huddle up inside my clothes on my shoulders together. I'm beginning to suspect interspecies romance. Either way, he has a good personality and doesn't mind the others at all, as they're all his size. He takes well to handling, and often falls asleep on my chest. So without all these worries that I have, he seems to be pretty healthy and content.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Alioop
Loopy De Loop
Loopy De Loop
Posts: 2648
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:37 pm
Country:
Location: Buffalo, NY

Re: Indonesian Baby Bluey

Postby Alioop » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:53 am

:btsnet2:

First off I need to address one thing that is hugely concerning to me: You should not be letting your bts interact with the other pets. Especially in a situation such as packed together inside a hoodie pocket or something. BTS jaws are quite strong and it won't take much effort at all on his part to remove a leg, tail, or even kill one of your other lizards. There is absolutely NO benefit to carrying them all around at the same time, and the potential risks are just huge. Just give your little indo (does he have a name??) one-on-one attention and he will be happy as a pig in well, you know.

Earthworms make great feeder insects, much better than crickets! My IJ loves them. I only give feeder insects occasionally as treats and use canned dog food as my staple protein. As for size, I don't see the need to cut the worms down. Your bts should be able to handle them just fine.

Now as for amount of food, you answered your own question. If he's eating less than half of what you give him, why give him so much?? Also how often are you feeding? Once to twice a week is plenty. Give him the chance to work up an appetite or yes, he will only pick out the really tasty things. You might want to cut out the treats altogether until he's eating the dog food more consistently. Just like a little kid- if you give him the choice between broccoli and cookies, he will choose the cookies and he will eat every last one. Don't give him the cookie option! When he gets hungry enough he will eat the good stuff.

IMO I would much rather just feed fresh veggies over baby food. If you like the puree then get a food processor and puree a whole bunch of fresh squash. Use what you need and freeze the rest. Its probably much cheaper, and you know exactly what's in it! Btw- no one cooks their food for them in wild :wink: mine all get raw squash and love it. If you want to do a wee bit of the pear baby food once in a while, as a treat, just because you have it around already there's no harm. But again- I prefer fresh fruits & veggies. Also, keep in mind- many of the large scale breeder who have been in the bts game for decades don't offer fruit at all. It really is just a treat and not at all a necessary part of the diet!

It's quite normal for your bts to hide. But I bet if you gave him an inch or two of substrate he would feel much more secure and hide less often. What's the reason for paper towels as substrate? There are lots of other great options.

Last but not least, you need to know the forum laws: :ryo: How dare you only post ONE photo??? :wink:
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Alie-

1.0 Irian Jaya
1.1 Easterns
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Indonesian Baby Bluey

Postby Katrina » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:29 am

Welcome!!! Very cute little guy. :D It is great that you were around reading, figuring out diet etc well before you got him.

I wouldn't worry too much about the amount he is eating. If he is picky, then feed less or just offer it every second day instead of daily. They have small stomachs, so as long as he is eating some he should be just fine. It might be a good idea to take a fecal sample to a vet to get it checked for parasites. When they are so young and still settling in they will hide lots. As long as his temperatures are correct, I wouldn't worry - just let him do his thing.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 189 guests