Periwinkle Snails

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Little Wise Owl
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:58 am
Country:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Periwinkle Snails

Postby Little Wise Owl » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:19 pm

Around April 2011, I bought 2lb of Periwinkle (sea) snails for my Red Tegu. I've had them in the freezer since that time to kill off any parasites. Has anyone ever fed Periwinkles to their BTs? I was thinking of thawing a few out, grinding them into a snail paste (shell and all) and making little snail balls for my new BT and Red Tegu.

Thoughts?
User avatar
SFBlueTongue81
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:48 am
Country:
Location: San Francisco

Re: Periwinkle Snails

Postby SFBlueTongue81 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:26 am

Why not try it out and tell us how it goes? :-)
1 Northern BTS
Blucas
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:31 am
Country:
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Periwinkle Snails

Postby Blucas » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:04 am

What would be the reasoning for grinding them up? Isn't breaking the shells up good exercise for their jaws? :? I'd give them whole, unless they're enormous.
User avatar
mark_w
Skinks in the UK
Skinks in the UK
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:43 am
Country:
Location: Buxton, UK

Re: Periwinkle Snails

Postby mark_w » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:35 am

Personally, I would not be concerned about parasites but I would only feed saltwater fish or seafood very infrequently because of the high salt content.

Mark.
scincoides - intermedia - nigrolutea - occipitalis
User avatar
critterguy
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 702
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 am
Country:

Re: Periwinkle Snails

Postby critterguy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:31 am

Also, periwinkle shells are extremely hard. No way a bluetongue skink could break those. It takes either a solid blow from a hammer, a fish, or a diamondback terrapin to crack one of those things open.
Little Wise Owl
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:58 am
Country:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Periwinkle Snails

Postby Little Wise Owl » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:44 pm

Blucas wrote:What would be the reasoning for grinding them up? Isn't breaking the shells up good exercise for their jaws? :? I'd give them whole, unless they're enormous.


This:

critterguy wrote:Also, periwinkle shells are extremely hard. No way a bluetongue skink could break those. It takes either a solid blow from a hammer, a fish, or a diamondback terrapin to crack one of those things open.


Their shells are very hard. I'd have to smash them with a hammer first and then put them in the food processor until they completely break down. Then make them into tiny little balls, haha.

mark_w wrote:Personally, I would not be concerned about parasites but I would only feed saltwater fish or seafood very infrequently because of the high salt content.

Mark.


My plan was to do just that. Feed them occasionally as part of a varied diet.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 296 guests