Page 1 of 1
UV lighting...
Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:23 pm
by bella3
If I were to have UVB lighting for my bts would that replace the heating lamp, or would it be an entirely different thing. If so, should it also be on a twelve hour cycle?
Thanks! (sorry, I'm new at this)
Re: UV lighting...
Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:31 pm
by Katrina
UVB is entirely different. You need a heat lamp to provide a warm side and basking area. UVB is good to provide as well, both can be on a 12 hour cycle.

Re: UV lighting...
Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:40 pm
by Richard.C
depends on the type of uv bulb,tubes will mostly just give light so u will still need normal basking lights to,but u can get uva/uvb producing spotlights now which heat as well as produce uv so u only need the one light or type of light if its a big cage
Re: UV lighting...
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:04 am
by bella3
Okay, thanks!
Re: UV lighting...
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:47 pm
by Kbell31
I use a Mercury Vapor Bulb and that is one bulb that takes care of everything. They are more expensive and some have had problems with them burning out (they can be exchanged, they usually have a one year warranty) but I have not. I keep an extra one on hand in case. Some say to monitor your skink closely bc the output is hard to measure and can be stronger than your skink would need. Look out for avoidance of the light, squinty eyes etc. (not to be confused with just normal skink laziness while basking!) I think it makes for a cleaner set up with just one fixture so I am pleased with it.