New Food Review!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
NennaMeerkat
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 300
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:24 am
Country:
Location: Fort Worth Texas

New Food Review!

Postby NennaMeerkat » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:21 pm

Brand Name: Deli Fresh Dog Food
Type: Tubed dog food
Main Ingredients: Chicken, egg, chicken liver, chicken broth, carrots, peas, dried kelp
Fat, Protein, Carbs: 25% fat, 38% protein, and 30% carbs (estimated). These measure up to typical amounts found in canned dog food.


Pros:
- the food has a consistency of a hot dog of sausage
- easily cubed into manageable bites
- you can see the veggies in the food
- easy to store
- hardly any offending smell
- can be served cold or heated
- labeling helps measure out amounts
- comes in more than one "flavor" with turkey or chicken or beef

Cons:
- cannot mix well with other veggies
- not sure on shelf life vs. canned
- a bit more expensive than can food
- has to be refrigerated 100% of the time
- don't think it freezes well

Personal Review:
Though the price is a bit more than I expected the cleanliness of the product is amazing. I was able to cube up the food into manageable bites and Mr. Blue took to it right away. The bites of food did not "stick" to any of his bedding and though his best attempts he couldn't make a mess of his food. Easily chewable as well. I think this product could be used for hand feeding like a treat even if you didn't want to give it as a main part of the diet. Was pleased by the non-offending smell and the packaging made it easy for me to measure out how much I wanted to give. This is a new staple source of protein now for my skink and will make feeding time much easier, less stinkier, and much much cleaner!

Personal Pics:
Had Mr. Blue eat on a kitchen counter for the pics. Easier than taking pics in his tank.
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: New Food Review!

Postby Spindown » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:24 pm

ooh interesting!
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
User avatar
Karen
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
Country: USA

Re: New Food Review!

Postby Karen » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:20 am

Great review Neena. I saw something similar last time I was at the pet store, might give it a try!
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: New Food Review!

Postby Katrina » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:24 am

Thanks for the review! I might try it as well. :D
User avatar
NennaMeerkat
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 300
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:24 am
Country:
Location: Fort Worth Texas

Re: New Food Review!

Postby NennaMeerkat » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:12 am

I think it is worth the extra cost, and they have some really big tubes of the food you can buy if you have lots of skinks. Hope it works out well for everyone! Glad you liked my report as well. If any new dog food innovations come out and seem to be safe I might give them a try as well to give future reports.
User avatar
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Blue Mountains Australia

Re: New Food Review!

Postby El Lobo » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:32 pm

Is there any information on nutritional breakdown, particularly the ratio of calcium to phosphorous?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
User avatar
NennaMeerkat
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 300
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:24 am
Country:
Location: Fort Worth Texas

Re: New Food Review!

Postby NennaMeerkat » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:25 pm

Not that I can see on the packaging, but I haven't looked online. If you want Lobo I can certainly investigate for you. The packaging concentrates on fat, calories, and protein.

I will say it mentions the following ingredients:
Calcium Pantothenate
Calcium Iodate
Calcium Carbonate

As for other breakdowns this is what it says on the packaging:
Crude Protein (min) - 9.0%
Crude Fat (min) - 6.0%
Crude Fiber (max) - 1.5%
Moisture (max) - 76.0%
Omega 6 (min) - 1.1%
Omega 3 (min) - 0.15%

Calorie Content (calculated): 1,318 kcal ME per kg, 300 kcal ME per 1/2lb
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: New Food Review!

Postby Katrina » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:47 pm

Here is the site with the ingredient list: http://freshpet.com/product/delifreshchickenformula/

I think all pet foods have to list all ingredients somewhere, so this kind of info should be available for any dog food you want to feed your BTS. :)
User avatar
NennaMeerkat
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 300
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:24 am
Country:
Location: Fort Worth Texas

Re: New Food Review!

Postby NennaMeerkat » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:55 pm

Oh well yeah! I thought he was asking for like numbers type ratio and not just a list of ingredients. Thanks for the link though! Sure plenty of people would wonder.
User avatar
NennaMeerkat
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 300
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:24 am
Country:
Location: Fort Worth Texas

Re: New Food Review!

Postby NennaMeerkat » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:03 pm

UPDATE!
I contacted the company to ask them the ratio of calcium to phosphorus and I got a response back today.

"In our Deli Fresh Chicken, Vegetable & Rice slice n serve roll the ratio calcium : phosphorus is 1.37"

So there ya go for anyone wondering! Now if this is good or bad I have no idea LOL But for those of you who do know feel free to post information!
User avatar
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Blue Mountains Australia

Re: New Food Review!

Postby El Lobo » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:18 pm

Is that figure quoted as calcium : phosphorous 1.37, or should it read 1:37?

Chicken meat typically averages around 1:40 overall which IMO doesn't make it a good choice for BTS except as an occasional variation. The phosphorous binds with calcium at a ratio of 1:1. A high level of phosphorous in the regular protein source will deplete the body of usable calcium derived from other sources. This has the potential to lead to MBD, particularly in younger not fully-developed animals.

Only my view, but I think a desirable overall dietary Ca:P for BTS would be around 2:1.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
User avatar
NennaMeerkat
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 300
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:24 am
Country:
Location: Fort Worth Texas

Re: New Food Review!

Postby NennaMeerkat » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:35 pm

I think it is supposed to be 1:37 Probably a mistype from the person sending me the response. But they did send it to me as I stated above "ratio calcium : phosphorus is 1.37" so I can't be 100% sure. I can always send another email back asking for clarification if you want.

Thanks for your opinion. Would calcium powder added to this food help in that matter? And what would be your opinion on feeding it to adult skinks as the protein in the diet along with other veggies?
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: New Food Review!

Postby Fatal_S » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:42 pm

If it's 1.37:1 then it's a decent protein source. If it's 1:37 all the added calcium won't really balance it out and it'd be a treat-only type of thing to me.
User avatar
NennaMeerkat
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 300
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:24 am
Country:
Location: Fort Worth Texas

Re: New Food Review!

Postby NennaMeerkat » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:55 pm

I will have to email them again and ask. If it doesn't have a lot of calcium I couldn't imagine it being good as a staple for canines, and they claim that it is a higher better product. I will get back to ya'll on that.
User avatar
NennaMeerkat
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 300
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:24 am
Country:
Location: Fort Worth Texas

Re: New Food Review!

Postby NennaMeerkat » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:39 pm

NEW UPDATE

Contacted the company again and this is what they responded with

"Sorry for the confusion with the response. It would be reversed 0.9 : 1.0 phosphorus to calcium ratio. It is not an AAFCO Nutritional Standard."

Not sure what AAFCO is but there is the correct ratio of phosphorus to calcium. A bit different than I was given before.
User avatar
critterguy
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 702
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 am
Country:

Re: New Food Review!

Postby critterguy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:52 pm

hmm...

1/.9=1.111 which is not 1.37

The stuff should have a Ca:P ratio somewhere around 1:1 to 1.5:1 though. If the food was formulated with high phosphorus it would also cause MBD in dogs...and thus not fullfill the AAFCO nutritional standards.

http://www.aafco.org/
User avatar
NennaMeerkat
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 300
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:24 am
Country:
Location: Fort Worth Texas

Re: New Food Review!

Postby NennaMeerkat » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:00 pm

Yeah they apologized before about the wrong info. I think I am gonna go back to the canned food. Paranoid now.
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: New Food Review!

Postby Fatal_S » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:39 pm

1:0.9 isn't at all bad for a meat product, it certainly won't hurt as a sometimes food.
User avatar
NennaMeerkat
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 300
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:24 am
Country:
Location: Fort Worth Texas

Re: New Food Review!

Postby NennaMeerkat » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:45 pm

True but my dog enjoyed getting the entire large portion left ;) And considering my local pet store started stocking small cans of the Blue Buffalo dog food I don't need it. Trying to get my guy to eat more veggies anyways and the sausage stuff just doesn't mix well. He would pick out the sausage and leave the rest alone.

But as a treat, if they ever have it on sale, I think both my dog and my skink will be happy LOL

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 184 guests