Page 1 of 1

Toe shed?

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:48 pm
by A.VinczeBTs
So Zelda (think I'm sticking with this name, kept flip-flopping on it) just shed two days back, and I thought I looked him over well-enough.
Anyway, tonight I fed him a huge meal (not really, but usually he leaves extra, but a playing hide the snails in the meal made him eat everything on his plate), and as he was basking I got a very good look over and noticed two back toes have some tiny bits of stuck shed on the very ends.

He's getting better with me handling him, but NOT enough that he'll let me put him in for a soak (did once and he haaaaaaated it), let alone touch his little toesies. :oops:

How bad is some stuck? Should I attempt a soak anyway, and face his wrath, or wait out another shed?
Next time I'll make sure to up the humidity just a tad at shedding time. :doh:

Re: Toe shed?

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:40 am
by Katrina
A tiny bit of shed is no big deal, not after two days. Don't worry. If it is still there after a week or two, maybe try a tiny bit of olive oil to moisturize and help get it off. Mine often have a tiny bit of shed two days later but it wears off fairly quickly, so don't worry unless it happens every shed or it is still on there after a couple weeks. :D

Re: Toe shed?

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:47 am
by Jeff
Can you hold him on a wet washcloth? Or spray the feet with a spray bottle? The shed will usually come off on its own, but it is a good idea to get it off so that you don't forget about it. It will probably come off easily if you quickly scratch it with your finger nail too. It is basically a matter of YOU becoming comfortable enough to mess with him more than him becoming comfortable with him.

Re: Toe shed?

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:02 pm
by xxmonitorlizardxx
I would give him a lukewarm bath for 10 minutes then rub on the shed a little bit.

Re: Toe shed?

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:11 pm
by A.VinczeBTs
I'm very comfortable handling him, he's awesome, but feisty (never handled before), I've been bitten too doesn't bother me too much.
I'll give him a bath maybe, or try the luke warm cloth first, and just gently rub his toesies.

Guess I'll give him a treat afterwards, maybe some snails, so he feels better about it. :)
Thanks guys!

Re: Toe shed?

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:15 pm
by xxmonitorlizardxx
You could also put a humid hide in his cage to help.

Re: Toe shed?

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:18 pm
by A.VinczeBTs
Well the first shed he had was fine but the ambient humidity was higher, it's been very very dry (zapping my cats) lately so I guess I should just give the coco husk a little spray. :)