Toe shed?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
A.VinczeBTs
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:30 pm
Country:
Location: Newmarket, Ontario

Toe shed?

Postby A.VinczeBTs » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:48 pm

So Zelda (think I'm sticking with this name, kept flip-flopping on it) just shed two days back, and I thought I looked him over well-enough.
Anyway, tonight I fed him a huge meal (not really, but usually he leaves extra, but a playing hide the snails in the meal made him eat everything on his plate), and as he was basking I got a very good look over and noticed two back toes have some tiny bits of stuck shed on the very ends.

He's getting better with me handling him, but NOT enough that he'll let me put him in for a soak (did once and he haaaaaaated it), let alone touch his little toesies. :oops:

How bad is some stuck? Should I attempt a soak anyway, and face his wrath, or wait out another shed?
Next time I'll make sure to up the humidity just a tad at shedding time. :doh:
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Toe shed?

Postby Katrina » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:40 am

A tiny bit of shed is no big deal, not after two days. Don't worry. If it is still there after a week or two, maybe try a tiny bit of olive oil to moisturize and help get it off. Mine often have a tiny bit of shed two days later but it wears off fairly quickly, so don't worry unless it happens every shed or it is still on there after a couple weeks. :D
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: Toe shed?

Postby Jeff » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:47 am

Can you hold him on a wet washcloth? Or spray the feet with a spray bottle? The shed will usually come off on its own, but it is a good idea to get it off so that you don't forget about it. It will probably come off easily if you quickly scratch it with your finger nail too. It is basically a matter of YOU becoming comfortable enough to mess with him more than him becoming comfortable with him.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Toe shed?

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:02 pm

I would give him a lukewarm bath for 10 minutes then rub on the shed a little bit.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
A.VinczeBTs
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:30 pm
Country:
Location: Newmarket, Ontario

Re: Toe shed?

Postby A.VinczeBTs » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:11 pm

I'm very comfortable handling him, he's awesome, but feisty (never handled before), I've been bitten too doesn't bother me too much.
I'll give him a bath maybe, or try the luke warm cloth first, and just gently rub his toesies.

Guess I'll give him a treat afterwards, maybe some snails, so he feels better about it. :)
Thanks guys!
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Toe shed?

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:15 pm

You could also put a humid hide in his cage to help.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
A.VinczeBTs
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:30 pm
Country:
Location: Newmarket, Ontario

Re: Toe shed?

Postby A.VinczeBTs » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:18 pm

Well the first shed he had was fine but the ambient humidity was higher, it's been very very dry (zapping my cats) lately so I guess I should just give the coco husk a little spray. :)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 222 guests