The winters are super dry, and I have done my best to keep up humidity.
I have a 90 gal tank with wet towels covering the cool side to help keep the humidity up. I occasionally mist it down, and also soak my skink in our tub.
I use aspen that is a little larger than typical shredded and smaller than chipped. He has never had issues until this winter. I had another post about his one eye being problematic and so I took him to the vet which was pretty disappointing. I still used the eye drops and all, but I have come to understand it is this dryness.
Ok, so enough of the background.
His eyes are an ugly dried mess that looks like a bad shed, and then parts of raw pink under them. Right now he IS shedding, so this may all clear up, but I want to make the best of the situation for him.
Has anyone used peat moss as the entire substrate? Maybe this aspen is just too dry for winter use. I just want to make sure it is safe. Also, can I just purchase from a hardware store, or would that possibly have parasites? I hope that a pet store would sell parasite free substrate/moss.
Is it safe for there digestive system in case of accidental digestion?
Thanks all
bad eyes during shed - can i use peat moss?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
raredesign
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 39
- Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:54 pm
- Country:
-
raredesign
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 39
- Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:54 pm
- Country:
Re: bad eyes during shed - can i use peat moss?
sorry for the bump, but it has been seven days.
- Kbell31
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 484
- Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:12 pm
- Country:
- Location: Ohio
Re: bad eyes during shed - can i use peat moss?
There have been many issues with skink eye problems lately. There have been several posts with different solutions and treatments. I am not sure that I would personally use entirely peat moss as I would be worried about fungal infections. Maybe someone else can be of more help. Have you considered using cypress (please be informed of the environmental concerns if you decide to use this) or compressed coco fiber like eco earth or something similar?
When life gets difficult, always remember you are being planted NOT buried!
- critterguy
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 702
- Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 am
- Country:
Re: bad eyes during shed - can i use peat moss?
Sphagnum moss is quite acidic so that helps to retard fungal growth on it(which is why it is used for all sorts of stuff).
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: bad eyes during shed - can i use peat moss?
I think it might help...
I'm currently dealing with similar eye issues with our little Houseguest. We tried antibiotic eye drops and that didn't work so now we are onto oral baytril. I'm using cypress mulch to up the humidity - I'll let you know if anything work / helps!
I'm currently dealing with similar eye issues with our little Houseguest. We tried antibiotic eye drops and that didn't work so now we are onto oral baytril. I'm using cypress mulch to up the humidity - I'll let you know if anything work / helps!
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 200 guests
