MALE / FEMALE?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
ProCreationReptiles
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:48 am
Country:
Location: Kentucky
Contact:

MALE / FEMALE?

Postby ProCreationReptiles » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:49 am

What areas of the skink need to be seen in order to try to get a visual view of sexing?

Will be taking pictures this evening but wanted to make sure that I get the right type of pictures =)
Last edited by ProCreationReptiles on Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: How to take a "sexing" pic?

Postby Katrina » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:22 am

Try to get birds eye shot showing the entire skink, including the tail. Try to get the skink as straight as possible. Just one shot of the entire skink from straight above should be good enough to tell from, as long as the skink is 'sexable' and not an inbetween looking one. :D
ProCreationReptiles
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:48 am
Country:
Location: Kentucky
Contact:

PICTURES FOR SEXING =) (PIC HEAVY)

Postby ProCreationReptiles » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:12 am

@ All those who are skilled in visually sexing BTS's - Here are some pictures..Roxs was a little more difficult to get to stay still as she/he is always on the move, lol. Eastern is more chill so it was easier. I sure hope that these pictures show what you are needing to look at.

Also: Took a few pictures of Roxs eating dinner...She is halarious when she eats.

I also caught Roxs in the act of pooing and thought I would check it out to see if there a sperm plug. Got alittle excited cause for a minute I thought it was one but not too sure now, lol. There is a pic of it also...

Thanks All
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ProCreationReptiles
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:48 am
Country:
Location: Kentucky
Contact:

Males or females?

Postby ProCreationReptiles » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:26 pm



Hope these pics will show what is needed
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: MALE / FEMALE?

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:37 pm

They do.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: MALE / FEMALE?

Postby Katrina » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:57 pm

I would say Roxy is female. I am not great with Easterns so I am not sure enough to hazard a guess. Love the carrot tail on Eastern though!! :D

Hopefully others will add their opinions.
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: MALE / FEMALE?

Postby Fatal_S » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:19 pm

I'll guess male for both.
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: MALE / FEMALE?

Postby Spindown » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:55 pm

Just for shiggles, I'll guess male on the Eastern cause that head is huuuuge :)
No clue on the other one. :P
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
User avatar
Alioop
Loopy De Loop
Loopy De Loop
Posts: 2648
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:37 pm
Country:
Location: Buffalo, NY

Re: MALE / FEMALE?

Postby Alioop » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:02 pm

I'm guessing female for both, though I'm not extremely confident about either, and even a little less confident on the Eastern.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Alie-

1.0 Irian Jaya
1.1 Easterns
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: MALE / FEMALE?

Postby Katrina » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:17 pm

Alioop wrote:I'm guessing female for both, though I'm not extremely confident about either, and even a little less confident on the Eastern.


Yeah, I was leaning towards both female, but I don't know enough about Easterns. You should post more pics of yours to help me. :wink: Have you sexed them yet?!

The long body on Roxy makes me think female.
ProCreationReptiles
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:48 am
Country:
Location: Kentucky
Contact:

Re: MALE / FEMALE?

Postby ProCreationReptiles » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:34 am

Thanks all...

Kat: sexed them as in? Thats why I posted pictures, in hopes to get a visual.....

I sure wish it was easier to sex them than it is. Figures I would fall in love with something that is almost impossible to sex.

Was thinking of asking Ray what he thought of the Eastern but I don't know his username?

Roxy is extremely long, especially compared to Eastern..

Of course I will take more pics, I love to see what others think of them =)

So right now, we stand at pretty much a 50/50 chance for both of them lol.....

That last pic isn't a pic of a sperm plug is it? At least this time I know it's not a piece of dried up food =)
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: MALE / FEMALE?

Postby Katrina » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:46 am

Sorry - I was asking Alie if she had sexed her Easterns yet.

Ray's username is Ray Gurgui - if you can get his input / if he has time, he would be the one to listen to. :D
User avatar
Alioop
Loopy De Loop
Loopy De Loop
Posts: 2648
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:37 pm
Country:
Location: Buffalo, NY

Re: MALE / FEMALE?

Postby Alioop » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:29 am

No I haven't Kat. I'm thinking Saturday is going to our big day! Fingers crossed for me!
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Alie-

1.0 Irian Jaya
1.1 Easterns
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: MALE / FEMALE?

Postby Katrina » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:44 am

Alioop wrote:No I haven't Kat. I'm thinking Saturday is going to our big day! Fingers crossed for me!


:woo: Good luck!!! I expect updates and possibly even naughty pictures. :wink:

Don't be surprised if not much happens for the first couple pairings. My little dorky virgin Stewy just kind of stared for the first several pairings before he finally showed some interest and behavior that would allow me to sex them (although I already knew their sexes before hand).

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 168 guests