Page 1 of 1
Do you take your skink outside?
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:33 pm
by ShortStack
I was curious how many of you take your skink outside to get some real sunlight. I've thought about taking Coby, but wasn't sure the best way to go about it. Obviously I wouldn't just take him in the yard and let him loose. I thought about taking a plastic tub outside and letting him just soak up some sun, but am definitely open to different/better suggestions. Also, how long do you typically take them outside for? I live in Florida, so we obviously get really warm at times. Even right now being the middle of January, it's nearly 80 degrees today.
Re: Do you take your skink outside?
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:38 pm
by supersnakeman101
ya let them sit out there for 10-20mins 80degrees should be fine just be out there as well because there are a but load of things that can sneak in a take your skink
Re: Do you take your skink outside?
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:41 pm
by xxmonitorlizardxx
I let him roam around (While being closely supervised)
Re: Do you take your skink outside?
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:42 pm
by ShortStack
Oh definitley. I also have a collapsable playpen from when my dauschund had puppies that I kept them in. It has a mesh bottom so it would keep him off the ground and I could even put a sheet down to make sure that he really isn't remotely touching it since I don't know if he could "catch" anything from the yard. I thought about cleaning it and maybe using that. It's big enough that I could probably get in there with him, and he would have more room to run around than in a plastic tub.
Re: Do you take your skink outside?
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:30 pm
by Fatal_S
I take my guys out all the time when it's warm. I live in a condominium, so we have a big shared front lawn. I usually take the skinks out there and I'll let them explore and soak up the sun. I'll also take them over to the school grounds nearby where there's fewer people, or I'll have them on my front step to bask. I even take my dog out at the same time because she guards the skinks as part of our pack. If I'm taking several skinks out at once I'll get one of my siblings to come with for extra supervision. I always keep a bin or two by my side for putting them away quickly if they start to get spazzy or there's too many people around. My skinks are extremely popular with the area kids

Re: Do you take your skink outside?
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:48 pm
by ShortStack
So since we don't use any kind of fertilizers, sprays, ect. on our lawn, he should be okay if I were to actually put him in the grass? Or do you take something out to put them on, Fatal?
Re: Do you take your skink outside?
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:51 pm
by Fatal_S
I put them directly on the grass. Our area does do a mosquito spray annually, but they put signs up and we stay off the grass for about a week after they spray. There's no other sprays or toxins used in our area.
Re: Do you take your skink outside?
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:45 pm
by critterguy

Oh yes!
I do similarly to Fatal. One nice way to do it is to have the skink travel in some kind of tote bag. Put a shirt inside for them to burrow in so they will be content with staying in the bag. You can take them out and put them on the bag...they'll crawl back inside when they get too hot. Another option is a shoebox with a hole cut into it.
Re: Do you take your skink outside?
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:47 pm
by WanderingChai
All the time(In summer, that is). She loves it out there, and it helps a lot with UVB. I just put her on the ground and very closely supervise her the whole time. I only take her out if the temperatures are about 73-85 degrees Fahrenheit, sometimes less if the sun is warm. I also take her over to the orchard across the street, she's a big hit there. Once a lady was looking at her(she thought she was a statue) and nearly fell over in surprise when she casually flicked out her tongue XD
Re: Do you take your skink outside?
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:54 pm
by missmacabre
I'm too paranoid/protective to take any of my animals outside. Although Exo Terra make cool flexariums for outside use which I plan to get one day when I finally have a little backyard. Right now I live in a second storey apartment.
Re: Do you take your skink outside?
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:00 pm
by Panana_Blue
Thats cute photo together....with Malaysia weather, anytime, anywhere heaven for blue tongue to take them out...beautiful weather all time, even consistant rain wont make temperature down so much.
Re: Do you take your skink outside?
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:36 pm
by Karen
Sylvia loved it the couple times I took her outside before it started getting cold. Was planning on taking her out today but she decided she wanted to sleep. Going to try later in the week if the nice temps hold. It seems to be great exercise and stimulation for them as long as you make sure to keep an eye on them.
Re: Do you take your skink outside?
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:40 pm
by ShortStack
WanderingChai wrote:All the time(In summer, that is). She loves it out there, and it helps a lot with UVB. I just put her on the ground and very closely supervise her the whole time. I only take her out if the temperatures are about 73-85 degrees Fahrenheit, sometimes less if the sun is warm. I also take her over to the orchard across the street, she's a big hit there. Once a lady was looking at her(she thought she was a statue) and nearly fell over in surprise when she casually flicked out her tongue XD
Somewhat unrelated, but my boyfriend has an iguana and there is a festival that he goes to every year where he lives in Indiana and he always takes her. He had her on top of his head and he was wearing a hat and she was just chilling as he walked around, and one lady went to touch her, thinking it was just an iguana hat. Needless to say, she spazzed when she moved, lol. He takes his iggy a lot of places, even brought her down here to Florida when he visited last summer. She loves to ride on the dashboard of the truck. It's pretty funny, she's almost like having a dog around.
Re: Do you take your skink outside?
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:41 pm
by ShortStack
critterguy wrote:
Oh yes!
How cute!!