Page 1 of 1
can bts play with non-bts
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:27 pm
by ilovegeckos
i have a large lepoard gecko and i'm wondering if the see each other one will eat the other
Re: can bts play with non-bts
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:29 pm
by Bird_Brain
ilovegeckos wrote:i have a large lepoard gecko and i'm wondering if the see each other one will eat the other
It is HIGHLY recommend keeping bts seperated from all other animals. Typically BTS dont even like to be near each other, let alone other species. Reptiles dont need to "play".
Re: can bts play with non-bts
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:43 pm
by xxmonitorlizardxx
Reptiles don't play.
Blue tongue skinks cannot be kept with other animals.
They will hurt each other.
Re: can bts play with non-bts
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:54 pm
by Susann
WHY take the risk?
I will tell you the same thing I tell kids in schools when they ask what would happen if the snake and the BTS got together.
Chances are very high that nothing would happen. But some day down the road--later today, tomorrow, 3 years from now--WHEN one of them gets scared or ticked off, the very best case scenario you can hope for, is that only one of them is maimed or dead.
WHY would you be interested in that risk?
I see NOTHING positive gained from this.
Re: can bts play with non-bts
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:00 pm
by Spindown
I would think that the Leo, being more squishy than the BTS would get killed. Reptiles dont play, especially not together. It is likely they will see any other animal as either a threat to safety (predator), threat to food source/heat/light/safety (rival), or else see them as prey. (Not that i think a BTS would eat a Leo...they are quite big). Any or all of these happening could/would result in injury or death for one or both reptiles.
My opinion? Don't risk it. If you are looking to provide enrichment in their lives, give them something new to sniff/explore/hide in.
Re: can bts play with non-bts
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:45 pm
by El Lobo
Susann wrote:WHY take the risk?
I will tell you the same thing I tell kids in schools when they ask what would happen if the snake and the BTS got together.
Chances are very high that nothing would happen. But some day down the road--later today, tomorrow, 3 years from now--WHEN one of them gets scared or ticked off, the very best case scenario you can hope for, is that only one of them is maimed or dead.
WHY would you be interested in that risk?
I see NOTHING positive gained from this.
I have seen the result when a wild BTS and a wild snake got together.
Re: can bts play with non-bts
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:59 pm
by Susann
El Lobo wrote:I have seen the result when a wild BTS and a wild snake got together.
And I have NO desire to get any closer than HEARING about it. Which is why my BTS and my snake will never get together. OR, my gecko and snake, OR my BTS and gecko. OR, my BTS with any other of my BTS unless they are breeding--and that was bloody enough that I wish there was some way around putting them together for that too.
Re: can bts play with non-bts
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:11 pm
by Spindown
sorry susann, no artificial insemination for lizards yet, that i know of

Re: can bts play with non-bts
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:56 pm
by Fatal_S
A BTS would easily kill and eat a leopard gecko. The poor gecko would have no defence. Do not let your skink near the gecko.
Re: can bts play with non-bts
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:10 pm
by El Lobo
There are exceptions to most rules. BTS kept in pits by experienced carers can co-habit but the emphasis is on experienced. A few species of tiliqua will live together in their native environment but an enclosure or inside a house is not native environment. The best option is to not allow them contact with other animals or even their own species until having the relevant experience.
Re: can bts play with non-bts
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:28 pm
by critterguy
I have an experience with a gargoyle gecko escaping its deli cup and falling into a BTS cage. Adult gargoyle and a young(15 inches TL) bluetongue. Luckily I was in the room and heard the gecko's cries and was able to rescue it from the overly ambitious skink who was latched onto its side and intent on figuring out how to eat it.
So in short, don't.
Re: can bts play with non-bts
Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:34 pm
by Panana_Blue
Bro.....just let bts play with you, even that with some gigas I got bitten and its really hurd. Bts either like or hate other object....but most of them got license to kill...hahaha