Poop, yes I know, I did a search first!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
A.VinczeBTs
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:30 pm
Country:
Location: Newmarket, Ontario

Poop, yes I know, I did a search first!

Postby A.VinczeBTs » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:40 am

So, twice now when I've taken my little guy out, he's pooped. One was huge, but fairly runny. Not like water, but not really solid, and kinda mushy. (however he did eat egg, so I dunno?!)

Just tonight, he peed (big puddle, tiny urate) and a small amount of poop. his poop was also swishy but didn't smell terrible.

Is this normal? I did a search and I wanted to see a thread that had pics of poop but no pics show up at all so that was no help. In his tank I only find dried poop, but it looks like it used to be runny as well. Is it the dogfood or should I get him checked out?

Is he still just getting used to his new home kinda thing?

Thanks all!
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Re: Poop, yes I know, I did a search first!

Postby Susann » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:46 am

Hard to say without pictures.
The easiest way to put yourself at ease, would be to pick up a fresh poop, put it in a ziplock bag, stick it in the fridge, and PM ReptileKing to have him run a fecal on it.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
A.VinczeBTs
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:30 pm
Country:
Location: Newmarket, Ontario

Re: Poop, yes I know, I did a search first!

Postby A.VinczeBTs » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:59 am

Even shipping from Canada? I can totally do that, but it's hard to catch a fresh poop since I'm only home at night and he seems to poop in the day.
But I'll definitely look into that.

I will also try to get pics, again, if I can catch a fresh poop.
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Re: Poop, yes I know, I did a search first!

Postby Susann » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:14 am

To increase chances of "catching" a fresh poop, feed him the day before your day off. Usually, it takes at least 12 hrs, but more often around 24 hrs, after eating to produce a bowel movement. So the day after feeding him a nice big meal, get him out and moving around. Movement and heat are skink-enemas! Which is why they often poop ON you, or on the couch, or on the table, or wherever you put them and they start crawling around.
If I'm going somewhere with my skink, and want to produce the "stink" BEFORE going, I feed them a minimum of 2 days before. Then, the day after feeding, I get out a large tub, put a heatpad under it, fill it with stuff for him to explore and crawl in/on, stick him in it, and just wait. If in 2 days that hasn't worked, I stick him in a tub with warm water. Never fails!

So, with a little work, there are things you can do to increase your chances of catching a fresh sample.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
A.VinczeBTs
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:30 pm
Country:
Location: Newmarket, Ontario

Re: Poop, yes I know, I did a search first!

Postby A.VinczeBTs » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:17 am

Thanks! Will try that for sure!
User avatar
Alioop
Loopy De Loop
Loopy De Loop
Posts: 2648
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:37 pm
Country:
Location: Buffalo, NY

Re: Poop, yes I know, I did a search first!

Postby Alioop » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:06 am

As long as he's pooping, eating and active I don't really see any reason to worry. I've found poops can vary a little in texture and frequency.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Alie-

1.0 Irian Jaya
1.1 Easterns
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Poop, yes I know, I did a search first!

Postby Katrina » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:50 am

Agree with Ali - don't worry, especially not after two poops only. If they are all runny for a month or so, then get a fecal check done. But a couple odd ones is no big deal.

I've sent Brad poop from Canada before. I'm not sure that you are supposed to, but it worked.
A.VinczeBTs
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:30 pm
Country:
Location: Newmarket, Ontario

Re: Poop, yes I know, I did a search first!

Postby A.VinczeBTs » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:26 pm

Well no harm in sending him the next poop anyway. But I won't worry about it :) maybe its his new diet change (he only ate bugs now its dog food and veggies so)
A.VinczeBTs
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:30 pm
Country:
Location: Newmarket, Ontario

Re: Poop, yes I know, I did a search first!

Postby A.VinczeBTs » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:17 pm

So while I was out for the day, my boyfriend got a picture of a fresh (super fresh, apparently he heard a small fart sound as he was walking by, and saw a poop). He said that it looked totally normal so he didn't bag it (like I wanted). So it was dried out when I got home.

However, it does look normal this time!!! No urate to be found, just a big ol' water puddle, but super happy about the not puddle poop!!
Image

Next time I'll still try to catch it fresh anyway (no harm in being double-sure!), but least I'm not worried anymore. :D

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 201 guests