Shedding Question

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
JMiller24
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:44 pm
Country:
Location: Hanover, PA

Shedding Question

Postby JMiller24 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:46 pm

Hi all, my Merauke 'Toothless' is currently shedding for the first time (since I've had him). Anyway, I read the things to look out for on the care sheet but I still have some concerns. He looks to be almost completely shed except for the last inch of his tail and the bottoms of his feet. There doesn't seem to be any build-up, like in the pictures on the care sheet, it just looks like it hasn't come off yet. Is this something to be concerned about? Also, he has his first vet visit on the 25th (next wed), if this shedding does sound problematic do you guys think he'll be ok until then or should I try to get him there sooner?

I am able to handle him, but I haven't mastered holding him while doing things that he doesn't like, which would make trying to get this shed off rather difficult.

Note: He started shedding two or three days ago.
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Re: Shedding Question

Postby Susann » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:15 pm

First, most BTS handle each shedding without any problems whatsoever.
If you are worried, here's what I would suggest:

put about an inch of warm water in the tub. Put him in. This only works if he starts to try to climb out of the tub, but when he starts to climb up the side of the tub, slipping around; take a kitchen towel--if you can't use a kitchen towel, or if it's not "rough" enough to do the job, take a regular terrycloth hand towel-- wet it down completely, and drape it up the side of the tub where he is trying to climb out. As he is dragging himself up the wet towel with his soaking feet, the friction of the motion against the towel usually rubs off the wet, sloughing shed on the bottom of his feet. If he actually makes it up to the top, I just lift him up and put him at the bottom of the towel again. I like kitchen towels because they usually are smooth, and they can't grab on with their claws as well, and their feet end up slipping against the towel, which tends to do the job getting shed off bottoms of skink-feet without you having to rub them.

As he has been wet a while, wrap your hand around the tail with a firm but gentle grip, and slide your hand down the tail until the shed slides off.

If more than a few days have gone by since he finished shedding, just leave what's left and try to catch him when he first starts shedding next time, and make sure it comes off then. You can do some of these same things if you are worried about it not coming off.

There's a window of opportunity with each shed that's only open so long. The old shed will slough off while their new scales are producing a slick liquid to release the old skin. Once the liquid dries, the old shed gets stuck to the new scales, and you can actually do damage to the new scales if you try too forcefully to remove the old, stuck shed.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: Shedding Question

Postby Linnea » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:19 pm

hmm....if there is something on the toes or on the tailtip, and its been 2-3 days, you could try poking some of it off the tailtip carefully with your fingernail. its not dangerous to help a little after a day, if its very loose and hes not trying to get it off anymore. just dont be forceful.
if it doesnt work, a small bath is quite effective for helping with unfinished sheds.
shallow warm water, 20 mins. then gently rub off the shed.

i find it odd its under his feet, its usually the toes that are unshed....are you sure?

you dont need to worry, it takes a few sheds for it to build up like on the pictures, but tailtips and fingers are quite sensitive so it is a good habit to be attentive about the shed there.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Re: Shedding Question

Postby Susann » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:24 pm

You know, Linnea is right,
the bottoms of their feet are NORMALLY lighter, puffier, kind of loose-looking. If there is no old shed left on the tops of the feet, I would be 98% sure the bottoms are already shed as well. You are fine still letting him climb up the towel in a wet bath, but if there's no change after 20 minutes of being wet, I would leave them alone.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Shedding Question

Postby Katrina » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:28 pm

Don't worry - he will be just fine. Those areas might take an extra day or two to come off, but I bet if you leave him alone he will probably get it off just fine.

Definitely don't stress about this at all! :D
User avatar
JMiller24
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:44 pm
Country:
Location: Hanover, PA

Re: Shedding Question

Postby JMiller24 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:38 pm

I'm sorry, I worded it wrong. It's his feet (the tops) but basically the lower half of his feet ,if that makes sense.

Thank you all for the helpful advice, it is very much appreciated! The towel/bath tub idea is pretty genius!
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Re: Shedding Question

Postby Susann » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:01 pm

JMiller24 wrote:The towel/bath tub idea is pretty genius!
Why, thank you!
I happen to have three new adult, big Meraukes that are not used to handling, and do NOT like their feet touched, so I'm glad I thought of this method back when I had a sick IJ with horrendous "foot-issues"; this was the gentlest way I could think of to try to help his sore, bleeding feet.

Katrina is right though. We are probably not helping you NOT to worry about your shedding guy. :oops: Most BTS shed just fine every time without any help at all, and Toothless is more than likely not in need of any help. Just to make it less stressfull for yourself in the future, just leave him be for now. See how he does on this shed. Should anything still be there in a few days, see if just gentle dry-rubbing will get it off. If not, catch it next time IF it doesn't come off on its own.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
JMiller24
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:44 pm
Country:
Location: Hanover, PA

Re: Shedding Question

Postby JMiller24 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:35 pm

Susann wrote:
JMiller24 wrote:The towel/bath tub idea is pretty genius!
Why, thank you!
I happen to have three new adult, big Meraukes that are not used to handling, and do NOT like their feet touched, so I'm glad I thought of this method back when I had a sick IJ with horrendous "foot-issues"; this was the gentlest way I could think of to try to help his sore, bleeding feet.

Katrina is right though. We are probably not helping you NOT to worry about your shedding guy. :oops: Most BTS shed just fine every time without any help at all, and Toothless is more than likely not in need of any help. Just to make it less stressfull for yourself in the future, just leave him be for now. See how he does on this shed. Should anything still be there in a few days, see if just gentle dry-rubbing will get it off. If not, catch it next time IF it doesn't come off on its own.


No, you guys have actually put me a lot more at ease, and given me some ideas of things I can actually do if a problem does come up. It really makes all the difference. Thank you very much!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 151 guests