Page 1 of 1

Possible Poop Problems...?

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:00 pm
by RosiePosie06
So I just got my first BTS (first reptile actually!) On Saturday at the LA Reptile Super Show. I did a lot of research before I got one (thank goodness for this site), but I'm having one small problem. I haven't found any poop... I was told by his previous owner that he is about six months old, is it just too small to see? Thank you!

Re: Possible Poop Problems...?

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:08 pm
by Susann
They aren't too small to see, but lots of BTS are really good at hiding them :wink:
Besides, not every BTS will poop every time it eats. Some can go quite a few days in between. Weeks even.

Have you gotten yours to eat already? That's pretty good.
No worries on the poop. You'll get used to your little guy's schedule. They are all different.

Re: Possible Poop Problems...?

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:16 pm
by RosiePosie06
Oh thank you so much! And yes I've fed him twice, however he did eat more meat than greens, the little brat:)

Re: Possible Poop Problems...?

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:39 pm
by Fatal_S
Welcome to the forum :)

Stress can make a reptile not go for a while. One of my first skinks held it for about a month (then let it out all over me). Be patient and try not to worry.

Re: Possible Poop Problems...?

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:45 pm
by NennaMeerkat
Is it possible that he might be constipated for the amount of protein he ate? I know if I eat more meat than greens I end up clogged up XD

In all seriousness though is it even possible for BTS to become constipated?

Re: Possible Poop Problems...?

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:04 am
by Susann
Sure it's possible for a BTS to be constipated, but not any reason at this point to worry a new owner with a random possibility from picking out a bit more of the meat from a meal.
Really, no reason AT ALL to worry at this point.

Re: Possible Poop Problems...?

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:13 am
by NennaMeerkat
Oh yeah I wasn't trying to make anyone worry...sorry if I came off that way...simply curious on the whole constipation thing. Heard of impaction cause of eating bedding, but didn't know if normal constipation is possible. But now I know.

Good luck with your new BTS original poster! I would hope to see pictures soon if you haven't posted some already!

Re: Possible Poop Problems...?

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 am
by Fatal_S
Additional facts: If anyone is really worried about their skink not pooping there are some ways to increase your chances. You can feed banana and/or egg, both of which are much loved by most skinks and tend to cause large, stinky poops. You can also give a skink a warm bath and/or take it out to move around, both of which tend to make a skink need to go. Just FYI :)

Re: Possible Poop Problems...?

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:24 am
by RosiePosie06
Thank you everyone:) My horse experience makes me very concerned when an animal doesn't poop! I will definitely post a picture next time I actually get on the computer, I've been using my phone. Thanks again:)

Re: Possible Poop Problems...?

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:49 pm
by El Lobo
There is considerable difference between the gastrointestinal tract of a horse and a bluey.

Unlike blueys, horses are hindgut fermenters with most nutrients being absorbed through the fermentation process of the caecum, rather than the small and large intestines like the bluey.

Re: Possible Poop Problems...?

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:06 pm
by RosiePosie06
Well I didn't know that but I knew there would be considerable difference. I only meant that my horse experience has caused me to be a worry wart about poop:)

Re: Possible Poop Problems...?

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:54 pm
by Alioop
RosiePosie06 wrote:Well I didn't know that but I knew there would be considerable difference. I only meant that my horse experience has caused me to be a worry wart about poop:)


I hear that sista! :wink: