Clipping toe nails
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- lemon1
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 185
- Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:29 pm
- Country:
- Location: Winnipeg
Clipping toe nails
My skinks 6 months and 5 months . I am just wondering if I should be clipping toe nails and how often people clip their BTS nails . One of my guys just shed and a toe had some shed stuck . It's not coming off . Should I just leave it and see what happens ? He shed everyhting 3 days ago
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Clipping toe nails
Are the nails sharp or do they seem to be long enough to cause the skinks problems? If yes, then it's probably time for a trim.
To remove stuck toe shed give the skink a warm bath for 10-15 minutes then gently rub at the toe to get the shed off.
To remove stuck toe shed give the skink a warm bath for 10-15 minutes then gently rub at the toe to get the shed off.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- lemon1
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 185
- Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:29 pm
- Country:
- Location: Winnipeg
Re: Clipping toe nails
We did the bath just now .I think Scott got the shed off his toe is just a little red and a little swollen . He just shed 3 days ago so it shouldn't be so bad ........ I think . We've also had him out every day since the shed and just noticed the swelling today . Clipping the nails sounds scary . They don't seem long but I was just curious .
- lemon1
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 185
- Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:29 pm
- Country:
- Location: Winnipeg
Re: Clipping toe nails
I hope his little toe is ok
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: Clipping toe nails
other than the squirming because they hate having their feet touched, nail trimming isnt that bad. I just did it to my foster as well as my sick skink. Usually if you can get their feet to rest on you in a way that you can trim without holding their legs that helps a lot. Its a lot like trimming dog nails, only easier because it is possible to use human nippers, and the nails arent as tough. If you oops and cut it too short, it will bleed a little, but some quick stop will fix that. Just be careful, and dont clip if you arent sure if you have nail vs. toe, and you'll be fine.
I normally only trim when the nails are long enough to turn the toe at all. I mean, i trim when i get a chance, but on some skinks they grow faster than others. :

These were long enough to get trimmed, and they did.
I normally only trim when the nails are long enough to turn the toe at all. I mean, i trim when i get a chance, but on some skinks they grow faster than others. :

These were long enough to get trimmed, and they did.
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
- WanderingChai
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 627
- Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: New York
Re: Clipping toe nails
I haven't clipped Tea Cup's nails in months because she just wears them down herself.
I have a huge block of concrete in there(You can find them in old parking lots, side walks etc., but you MUST boil/bake them at a rolling boil/450 deg. F multiple times to get all of the bacteria off) and it's awesome. She also has a rough hide/basking spot, which helps as well.
If love is a labor, I'll slave to the end.
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: Clipping toe nails
I agree with WanderingChai - I have lots of hard scratchy surfaces and all my skinks have nice, trim nails. No nail trimming required.
If you have the space to add in stuff like that, I highly recommend it. It also help get the shed off the toes.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 369 guests
