Humidity questions

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
jayeszoo
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:37 am
Country:
Location: Michigan US

Humidity questions

Postby jayeszoo » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:12 pm

Hi

I struggling with the humidity. From what the pet store told me about her mouth and eyes, they said she always looked alot better after she had been soaked. So it would make sense to me to try to get the humidity up a little. I do soak her, they look a little better, but I don't think it's healing as quickly as it should.

I did have it at 30, it dropped down to 29 and today was 28. The side of the tank with the UVB is at 97 and the top is covered with foil. The cool end is around 85 and is screen. On Monday I was working on the lites and had the foil off and it hiked up to 32. This doesn't make sense to me. I just read on a care sheet that was mentioned on another post describing the differences between the Indo, Merauke, and IJ that they can go around in the low 90's on the cool side. Is that my problem? She is still on paper towels and her water bowl is a glass pie pan in the middle of the tank.

All suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks
jaye
Jaye
Indigo BT Merauke
Munchkin Bearded Dragon
Skittles Sudanese Uro
Cynder Std Poodle
Journey Std Poodle
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: Humidity questions

Postby Spindown » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:49 pm

do you have pics of the mouth and eye problem? I'm dealing with that right now, and its caused by a systemic infection, I'm waiting for the bloodwork to come back to find out what further treatment i need. This is probably not a humidity problem...I'd suggest a vet visit, just in case. I waited too long because I didnt know what to look for, and now shes really sick.

See my post on Poor Sick Skinker to see pics of her eyes and mouth.

Hopefully this is not the same thing my little one has, but it can never hurt to be too careful, as I'm learning the hard way.
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
User avatar
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
Country:
Location: New York

Re: Humidity questions

Postby WanderingChai » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:26 pm

To help with the humidity for my Hermit Crabs, I spray them 3x+ a day. For your skink you may want to invest in a humidifier for the whole room to boost it up to about 50% or so(It's good for you too!). On top of that spraying once or twice a day should help.
P.S. This is just my experience, please wait for more experienced people who have battled humidity with their skinks! :D
If love is a labor, I'll slave to the end.
User avatar
jayeszoo
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:37 am
Country:
Location: Michigan US

Re: Humidity questions

Postby jayeszoo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:11 pm

She's not on any substrat yet, just paper towel because of the mouth and eyes. So I would hate to spray or mist the cage yet. I put a small glass in the cool side corner and I have jumped it up to 30. That's better. I will put a small humidifier in the room. Acutally it will be in between my bedroom and where her tank is. My sinus's can use it too.

I messed something up on my first post and it didn't post.

Anyway, answering first reply. Yes there are pictures of her/him about a week ago. It was before you posted yours. I do believe she looks better, but we will see in a couple more days. Yes, she has went to the vet. I brought her home from the pet store on a Friday before Christmas and the vet was not in till Monday. So Katrina and others gave me good advice to get her through the weekend without much stress. He gave me eye drops and told me to use Betadine on her mouth and I could use some of the eye drops on the mouth too. I have been soaking her, but she absolutely hates it. Seems to get stressed, but will settle down if I hold her and then she goes back into the cage. I did see your post and yes they almost look alike on the mouth and eyes.

Is yours eating? Mine will eat - actually acted like she was looking for something tonight, but I will feed her good tomorrow so she can soak up some heat too. I have been trying to follow your posts. I hope your little one gets better soon. If I don't see a big improve shortly, mine will be going back again.

Thanks
jaye
Jaye
Indigo BT Merauke
Munchkin Bearded Dragon
Skittles Sudanese Uro
Cynder Std Poodle
Journey Std Poodle
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: Humidity questions

Postby Spindown » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:51 pm

oh i somehow missed that thread, sorry! I"m glad you took her to the vet, yeah mine isnt a big fan of the soaking either lol.
Mine isnt really eating much, but is pooping fine, so must be eating when i'm not looking ;)

I'm waiting for these eye drops to kick in, but her eyes arent seeming to get better at all! :(
Hoping yours gets better too! :)
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Humidity questions

Postby Katrina » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:02 pm

I wouldn't worry about humidity unless you see a reason to worry about it. If she has a couple difficult sheds in a row, then try to raise it up. But they seem to be just fine with humidity around 30%. Once you switch her to substrate you can try something like cypress and keep it moist, but for now unless you have a specific reason to be concerned I wouldn't worry unnecessarily.
User avatar
jayeszoo
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:37 am
Country:
Location: Michigan US

Re: Humidity questions

Postby jayeszoo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:42 pm

Don't worry about missing the thread - I think we both have had our hands full. I'm constantly checking on her or temps. I know I will settle down eventually. It's the new "Mom" thing. Something new and different and not well, so all my energy goes there. I truely hope yours gets better.

Katrina - thanks again - I do remember you telling me not to worry much about it as long as it stays around 30 for them. I think I started to freak when it kept going down and I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. Especially since I really wasn't changing much. I'll try and calm down and enjoy her :)

jaye
Jaye
Indigo BT Merauke
Munchkin Bearded Dragon
Skittles Sudanese Uro
Cynder Std Poodle
Journey Std Poodle
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Humidity questions

Postby Katrina » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:25 pm

Hygrometers generally aren't very accurate, so several percent difference could just be error. Take it as a ballpark number and worry if you start seeing problems. You'll probably find that cigar humidifiers or misting won't do too much (I've tried all that!) but once you have substrate if you put a couple inches of cypress mulch in the bottom and keep it moist it be perfect. Right now getting her healthy with no open sores is more important than humidity unless you have a specific reason to want to raise it. But don't stress or worry too much - I've done all that and it didn't do a lot of good!

I really find that if you give them stuff like driftwood or slate rocks or other hard surfaces to rub the shed off with it will do a lot more for them shedding well than humidity. My experience is only with Northerns and Meraukes, but I have several Meraukes that previously lost many toes to shed issues etc and are now doing great at about 30% humidity on average.

Also - you mentioned you don't think she is healing as quick as she should. These guys have slow metabolisms. These issues didn't form over night so don't expect them to go away over night! The one I have with the toe / mouth issues took about 7 months before I felt the toes looked good, the mouth looked good and he looked healthy and shiny. The infection was gone after about 8 weeks with him, but it took many months of healthy diet and good sheds for him to be looking 'good'. Before that he still had ugly toes that were hanging on, looked dull, etc. Now, after having him for a 10-11 months, he is looking great - healthy, alert, shiny. I really took about 7 months before he looked shiny and not so 'old'. These guys won't heal overnight, so don't expect miracles. She will get better, but slowly. You can't really speed it up, so just do what you can and don't worry. :D You're doing great!!
User avatar
jayeszoo
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:37 am
Country:
Location: Michigan US

Re: Humidity questions

Postby jayeszoo » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:12 pm

Thanks I do have to say I am trying hard. I'm going to step back and breathe :D I will be happy when I can decorate her cage a little. I feel it is so dull. With your post on the raised hide and the pictures, I have some ideas.

jaye
Jaye
Indigo BT Merauke
Munchkin Bearded Dragon
Skittles Sudanese Uro
Cynder Std Poodle
Journey Std Poodle

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 194 guests