This is MBD or Genetic Recessive?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Panana_Blue
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:13 pm
Country:
Location: Malaysia

This is MBD or Genetic Recessive?

Postby Panana_Blue » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:03 am

I was just pretty shock in this few weeks, 2 of baby merauke was born in the same batch, show very extremelly
different in part of growing, I thought this case would never happen. They were born mid october 2011, both
born pretty normal in growing charge until last month, the other one ( nice pattern one actually ) shown of MBD
symptom. The other one show very much healthy baby, but the other one, show the back bone start bulging
shape. And until today baby both pretty much healthy, both eat really well. Just getting worse shape on back bone.
Anyone can explain in specificly happening, is it MBD because baby it self grow when mother still pregnant or is genetic result of recessive?

Image

Put them together side by side, so you can see the comparison.

Image

MBD...??

Image

The other healthy one.

Image

The Mother..

Image

The Father...
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: This is MBD or Genetic Recessive?

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:19 am

So that's where the new meraukes are coming from.
The mother looks like an eastern not a merauke.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: This is MBD or Genetic Recessive?

Postby Katrina » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:15 am

ML - stick to the topic at hand. :wink: The mother may have a Eastern look but she definitely isn't Eastern. Lots of gigas BTS have that kind of look.

As for the MBD question - what is their diet? Do you supplement calcium? I'm not sure if you can get Calcium with vitamin D3 there, but if you can I'd recommend picking some up and adding it.

Interesting discussion, I'm not entirely sure what caused it. Thanks for posting this, it is very interesting.
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: This is MBD or Genetic Recessive?

Postby Jeff » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:12 am

It is impossible to diagnose positively from pictures, but it does look like a case of MBD. As Katrina mentioned, that would most likely be caused by a calcium deficiency. All skinks are different, so even if both of the baby skinks have been given the same diet it is possible that it would affect them differently.

I assume you are keeping these inside, so they are not exposed to direct sunlight. In that case, you also need to include vitamin D3 with the calcium supplement you add to their food. Is that something you have available where you live? If not, I woould try to get the skinks outside in the sunlight on a regular basis.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
User avatar
realis88
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 12:03 am
Country:
Location: indonesia

Re: This is MBD or Genetic Recessive?

Postby realis88 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:18 pm

nice merauke
User avatar
acanthurus
Rugosa Envy
Rugosa Envy
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:11 am
Country:
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: This is MBD or Genetic Recessive?

Postby acanthurus » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:27 pm

Nice looking animals.

One other possible cause comes to mind. Has that little one spent a lot of time resting or trying to crawl upright against the glass? I have seen curved spines caused by this.
User avatar
Panana_Blue
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:13 pm
Country:
Location: Malaysia

Re: This is MBD or Genetic Recessive?

Postby Panana_Blue » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:37 pm

Katrina wrote:ML - stick to the topic at hand. :wink: The mother may have a Eastern look but she definitely isn't Eastern. Lots of gigas BTS have that kind of look.

As for the MBD question - what is their diet? Do you supplement calcium? I'm not sure if you can get Calcium with vitamin D3 there, but if you can I'd recommend picking some up and adding it.

Interesting discussion, I'm not entirely sure what caused it. Thanks for posting this, it is very interesting.

Thanks for the response, if its not interested case like ghis I wouldnt bother to open thread.

They diet all same type of food, I feed them pretty much enough nutrition and balance diet.
SUN BASKING every morning. Malaysia always have beautiful sunshine every day, with not so much polution
In my area, still have lots of green.
I took photograph at nite time, when I rwally got time to relax and play with them. Morning Im lot more busy feeding
And sun basking.
I combined they food, every the other day, so not quite every day. Im giving them more on veggies and fruits than meat
60%-40%. So Im not sure about they have enough calcium or not. Balance diet like :
Chicken, minced meat, sometimes turkey, eggs, cook chicken liver.
Strawberry, papaya, banana, hibiscus( have tree on my yard ) carrot, swet peas, corn.

Actually the babies have 2 more siblings, really gorgeous...I have sold them. I didnt see any defect at all with those 2.
Im keeping the nice one, because tje biggest, hoping its a male, my merauke lack lf male.

Fyi, parents are WC.
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: This is MBD or Genetic Recessive?

Postby Katrina » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:55 pm

If you give them lots of natural sunlight, an easy way to add calcium would be to crush up egg shells into a fine powder and sprinkle it onto the food. I would try doing that and adding some to most meals, especially for that one. Interesting how it only affects the one bluey and the others are ok. It might be something like Acanthurus mentioned as well.
User avatar
Panana_Blue
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:13 pm
Country:
Location: Malaysia

Re: This is MBD or Genetic Recessive?

Postby Panana_Blue » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:08 pm

Jeff wrote:It is impossible to diagnose positively from pictures, but it does look like a case of MBD. As Katrina mentioned, that would most likely be caused by a calcium deficiency. All skinks are different, so even if both of the baby skinks have been given the same diet it is possible that it would affect them differently.

I assume you are keeping these inside, so they are not exposed to direct sunlight. In that case, you also need to include vitamin D3 with the calcium supplement you add to their food. Is that something you have available where you live? If not, I woould try to get the skinks outside in the sunlight on a regular basis.


My question, MBD cant be from parent genetic ? Im more than agree with you every single skink have different way
of growing on they health, I've been watching them closely even when they eating.
I spread calcium more likely one a month/ once in 2 months...my bad, should I give them more often even they have morning sun every day?

This is very extraordinary case also for me, very rare I see MBD in my case, even if have, it will happen after
a year, I could see symptom start on the back bone. Could be lack of sunlight or from diet.
I never really seen calcium deficiency when skink only 6 weeks old.

Like I said to Katrina, I have no problem with morning sunlight, more than enough.
User avatar
Panana_Blue
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:13 pm
Country:
Location: Malaysia

Re: This is MBD or Genetic Recessive?

Postby Panana_Blue » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:14 pm

acanthurus wrote:Nice looking animals.

One other possible cause comes to mind. Has that little one spent a lot of time resting or trying to crawl upright against the glass? I have seen curved spines caused by this.


Could be true, they doing that either on they character or really something wrong already with calcium deficiency and that style make them comfy or some skink really do that because dont like we come close near them, always happen with babies... :mrgreen:
But merauke wouldnt do that, gigas always do that, but I never seen gigas have bulging back.
The other thing as well, they will crawl up right when Im basking sun every morning. Not quite thats will cause
the problem.
User avatar
Panana_Blue
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:13 pm
Country:
Location: Malaysia

Re: This is MBD or Genetic Recessive?

Postby Panana_Blue » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:20 pm

That baby is my favorite now, she/he too special, as long anything on his back not make him agony, his appetite is very much like healthy baby skink. He just look so unique, cant wait for him to grow up.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 220 guests