Substrate
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
Cathy20
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 118
- Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: Southwest Ohio, USA
Substrate
I am NEVER using Calcium Carbonate sand for my BTS, Wyatt's, cage. I just cleaned all that sand out and now I would like to know if ripping up paper towels and using those as substrate would be ok? I need an answer ASAP!!!
Love your life! God only knows how long it will last! 
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
Re: Substrate
No need to rip it up. Just cover the bottom with sheets. That will be fine temporarily, then we can give you lots of ideas for a more permanent situation.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
Re: Substrate
Welcome to the forum too!
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: Substrate
Welcome!! There are LOTS of better options than sand, definitely put paper towel in for now and then try other ones like aspen, mulches, carefresh etc for options that are easier to clean and allow burrowing. 
-
Cathy20
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 118
- Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: Southwest Ohio, USA
Re: Substrate
Thanks so much! I'm also leaving him alone over the holidays for about a week or so. I've left him alone before, but not for that long. Is it safe? How can I make sure he stays okay? I will have someone there to check on him about 2 days before I come home, though.
Love your life! God only knows how long it will last! 
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: Substrate
Just make sure he has water and that it doesn't get too cold. Otherwise he should be just fine. The only thing I worry about when going away for a week in winter is that the furnace doesn't go out and that they have water. That is one of the best things about theses guys - super easy to care for. He should be just fine for that week. 
-
Cathy20
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 118
- Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: Southwest Ohio, USA
Re: Substrate
That's good to know. What about food? Should I just put a few freeze-dried crickets in there as a treat so he doesn't starve?
Love your life! God only knows how long it will last! 
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: Substrate
Unless he is sick or something, he won't need any food for a week. A healthy BTS can go months and months without food, so I wouldn't even worry about it unless you have a very young skink or he isn't healthy. You can leave some food, but there is no reason to. I typically only feed my adults once a week.
-
Cathy20
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 118
- Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: Southwest Ohio, USA
Re: Substrate
I didn't know they could go so long without food! That's really cool! Thanks for the advice! 
Love your life! God only knows how long it will last! 
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 210 guests
