Small odd looking spot on Embers lower jaw?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Small odd looking spot on Embers lower jaw?

Postby StaceyLeigh » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:11 pm

Ember has a small dry looking spot on her lower jaw. She has had this on & off since I got her in early September. I say on & off because every time she sheds it completely goes away and then shows back up a few days later? I have read the care sheet and info. on mouth rot, it doesn't look like that of fit any of the description/symptoms of mouth rot, but I have no ideas about what it is. It almost seems like very dry scales (her belly has been dry as well). I have included a couple of pictures, hopefully someone more experienced on here can help me figure this out, or advice if this is a Vet issue?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Small odd looking spot on Embers lower jaw?

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:16 pm

Looks like something you could wipe off, try to soak it and wipe it off and see what happens.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Re: Small odd looking spot on Embers lower jaw?

Postby Bird_Brain » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:31 pm

This to tends to be a fairly common issue. Im not sure if anyone knows what exactly causes it, but after a shed, the mouth looks great and slowly goes back to getting this scabby type thing on it. I dont think a vet visit is necessary.
Brad
User avatar
critterguy
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 702
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 am
Country:

Re: Small odd looking spot on Embers lower jaw?

Postby critterguy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:17 pm

My Billy had something similar to this. I swabbed it gently with a bit of LIsterine/CVS antiseptic mouthwash...though anything with those same active ingredients will work. Chlorexidine or povidone iodine would also be ok. In any case Billy's was due to him biting something hard so along with a small scab it was somewhat indented...after a few sheds it went back to normal.
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Re: Small odd looking spot on Embers lower jaw?

Postby StaceyLeigh » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:45 am

Thanks for the response. It sounds like it is nothing to worry about. I have tried to clean the area with just warm water, it cleans off the dust from the repti-bark, but the dry spot is still there. As I stated earlier it only disappears after each shed. I will keep an eye on it.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 314 guests