New Merauke (Hamburg Pickup)
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
Iceman
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 118
- Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:28 pm
- Country:
New Merauke (Hamburg Pickup)
I picked up a large Merauke from a vendor at the reptile show in Hamburg, PA on December 3rd. Although she (or he, unsure yet) is not the brightest (color-wise) animal, I am hoping that she will color up in a few sheds. As you can see in the pictures, which have a U.S. quarter for scale, she is a fairly large skink. I just weighed her a few hours ago and she was 903 grams. I do not know how long she is, but she seems pretty stout for a Merauke. I still name about 1/4 of my animals, and this girl is definitely deserving of a name, so if you have any suggestions feel free to shout 'em out. Anyways, here are a few photos that I took tonight, I will post more once she colors up (if she does, fingers crossed).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: New Merauke (Hamburg Pickup)
BEAUTIFUL ANIMAL!!! Perfect for a breeding project. Look at that tail! It must be atleast 45% of its length! Maybe I'll goto Hamburg next year and see what I can find. Do you know her age? And how's her temperment? Good luck with this guy 
-
ssr
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 964
- Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Iowa
Re: New Merauke (Hamburg Pickup)
She/he's beautiful. I chuckled when you clarified that you were refering to her color instead of her intelligence when you said "not the brightest". Still laughing over that. Anyway, good find.
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: New Merauke (Hamburg Pickup)
Absolutely gorgeous! What a stunning example of a classic merauke. Absolutely perfect IMO. I hope it doesn't color up, sorry, but I love that look
Please keep the pictures coming!
Oh, I'll make a gender guess and say male (base of tail looks bulgy) but that doesn't mean much.
Random names that come to mind looking at him/her: Lee/Leah. Butterscotch. Ice Cream. Hefty. Swirl. Racer.
Please keep the pictures coming!Oh, I'll make a gender guess and say male (base of tail looks bulgy) but that doesn't mean much.
Random names that come to mind looking at him/her: Lee/Leah. Butterscotch. Ice Cream. Hefty. Swirl. Racer.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: New Merauke (Hamburg Pickup)
I was thinking male... But it looked to big to be male.
I hope it gets lighter.
I hope it gets lighter.
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: New Merauke (Hamburg Pickup)
Wow - beautiful. Very similar color-wise to one of mine. Nice addition!
-
Iceman
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 118
- Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:28 pm
- Country:
Re: New Merauke (Hamburg Pickup)
The more I look at "her" I want to say male too. I hear a lot the phrase "it looks better in person", but I really think that this one looks considerably more dull in person. I looked at the pictures and almost thought "she" was a different skink. I will probably keep this skink and breed it at least next season, but despite all my wishful thinking as to her being a female, If she is a male I won't have much use for her.
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
Re: New Merauke (Hamburg Pickup)
I like her, and I think she is female. 

6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: New Merauke (Hamburg Pickup)
beautiful! I love the "classic" looking meraukes 
Man, I'm quickly becoming of the opinion that I desperately need to get myself to the Hammburg show.
Man, I'm quickly becoming of the opinion that I desperately need to get myself to the Hammburg show.
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
- Linnea
- Swedish Flower

- Posts: 1781
- Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Sweden
Re: New Merauke (Hamburg Pickup)
thats a cool one! (i wont guess gender but i like the colour as is)
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
- realis88
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 309
- Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 12:03 am
- Country:
- Location: indonesia
Re: New Merauke (Hamburg Pickup)
nice merauke
- Coomassie
- The Inked Chemist

- Posts: 1826
- Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: Newark, DE
Re: New Merauke (Hamburg Pickup)
Iceman, you were at Hamburg?!?!?!?! I wish I had known! I was a Hamburg... 

Cay T.
-
Iceman
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 118
- Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:28 pm
- Country:
Re: New Merauke (Hamburg Pickup)
Coomassie, I didn't think that anyone from here would be at Hamburg, I guess I should have asked though! Only a couple cool blueys, but still worth going for me. I was looking at the trio of Northerns over in the back left corner (such a good price), but they just didn't seem quite right. Did you buy anything (BTS or other animals) at the show?
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: New Merauke (Hamburg Pickup)
There must be a locale of Meraukes that has that look. That one looks female to me and I have the perfect male for her... I've seen other with this type of look.
Hope it does prove to be a girl! How is it that all the pretty Meraukes seem to be 75% male??
Hope it does prove to be a girl! How is it that all the pretty Meraukes seem to be 75% male??
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: New Merauke (Hamburg Pickup)
Iceman- I am soo going to get one of your 2012 babies (depending on how clean the bands of the parents are)
-
Iceman
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 118
- Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:28 pm
- Country:
Re: New Merauke (Hamburg Pickup)
I also think that this look of skink is from a certain locale. I don't really have much evidence to back that up, as it can be tough to get any real information from importers who don't even know what kind of skink they are selling (this one was labeled as a Northern!). Within a few years I would like to find out more about collection locales, but by then it is quite possible that these guys will no longer be imported, or at least not in such large numbers. As far as the male to female ratio, I would say it is more like 7 or 8 to 1 (Male to Female). Is this because of collection tactics, quite possibly. Males may be more active in breeding season, but so far I can not get a definitive answer on this. All I know though is that it makes putting together the perfect breeding colony a real challenge.
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: New Merauke (Hamburg Pickup)
I'm wondering how many importers specifically collect skinks during the time they're known to be preggo. I've noticed huge numbers of babies the past year or two (CB to WC moms) and those would be worth most to the stores (free babies = free $$$). So I could see them requesting collection during preggo-season. Thing is, that's terribly stressful on a skink, especially a preggo mom. Could be why so many females would never make it to new homes, but the babies might.
My Canasta has that story. Imported preggo, she ended up aborting the litter and was in very bad shape (mites/RI/parasites) when Stuart took her home and nursed her back to health. So I know from the abortion she's a female, but I could see how easy it would have been for her to not make it after all the stress
Just a theory I've been thinking about. I also like the 'males are more active' one, that makes lots of sense too
My Canasta has that story. Imported preggo, she ended up aborting the litter and was in very bad shape (mites/RI/parasites) when Stuart took her home and nursed her back to health. So I know from the abortion she's a female, but I could see how easy it would have been for her to not make it after all the stress
Just a theory I've been thinking about. I also like the 'males are more active' one, that makes lots of sense too
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Re: New Merauke (Hamburg Pickup)
I immediately thought your new one looks a lot like the female of my new ones.
Disregard the color, I think they are built very similarly.
Disregard the color, I think they are built very similarly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Re: New Merauke (Hamburg Pickup)
As far as the color goes, this is the same female as above, just a couple of days earlier!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
- Coomassie
- The Inked Chemist

- Posts: 1826
- Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: Newark, DE
Re: New Merauke (Hamburg Pickup)
Iceman wrote:Coomassie, I didn't think that anyone from here would be at Hamburg, I guess I should have asked though! Only a couple cool blueys, but still worth going for me. I was looking at the trio of Northerns over in the back left corner (such a good price), but they just didn't seem quite right. Did you buy anything (BTS or other animals) at the show?
I didn't think to ask either. I'm definitely going to the next time around. We went to pick up a cage for the new crestie we are getting from MissMeg at the end of the month. I always stop to look at the blueys but I don't think Coomassie would like it if I brought home another skink (he is very spoiled). Doesn't stop me from looking and usually cuddling a few at the shows. Also, where do you live? For some reason I thought you were out in CA?
Cay T.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 187 guests
