Going to buy my first BTS

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
A.VinczeBTs
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:30 pm
Country:
Location: Newmarket, Ontario

Going to buy my first BTS

Postby A.VinczeBTs » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:06 pm

Hello, been viewing and reading this site a lot, finally joined.

I'll be looking into becoming a BTS owner this coming summer. Now, I have a couple questions, and it'd be super helpful for my future pet to know everything I can before hand.

1. I've read the food ranking here, but I still have questions about food. What would be the weekly portion? Greens to meat to fruit, how much of each should be in a meal. Ratio's are not my strong point, a visual or measurement of some form would help.

2. Are they "affectionate" I'm looking at the BTS because to me they seem more intelligent. I love my ball pythons, but don't handle them much because they stress and they don't enjoy it, more tolerate it. Does a BTS once tamed and trusting (and provided each are unique) even seem to enjoy handling?

3. How smart are they? Examples would be cool, stories ect. I love my cats because each is intelligent(ok, debatable for some... ;) ) and very unique.

4. How big of a tank is best? I see a lot of 3ft tanks (36"x18"x18"), and can easily afford one, with sliding glass doors. However, would something around 4-5ft be better? I have time, so saving up is not an issue if he'd (or she!) would enjoy the space. (provided proper cover, hides, ect)

5. I was looking definitely into getting a baby (well started though) so it could be tamed by me. However, do they need any special care an adult does not? More interested in food again, I would automatically assume more secure (more hides, and such).

6. Should it be in my bedroom (quieter, but would have noises to listen to), or in the living room? In the living room there are myself and my boyfriend, plus cats sometimes, and tv on a lot. Is this too much stimulus?

7. I've not fear to being bit (baby bps are bitey (and some adults!), and so are my gerbils sometimes if I smell like food (they hurt)) but is it really even very common? Once tamed do they bite at all? How long does it take to tame?

8. What is your favorite BTS? I am fond (by looks) of the Northern. However, if there are others that are smarter and more "affectionate" please let me know what you think!! They all look pretty awesome!


Sorry for the long text, but I never jump into a new pet without asking EVERYTHING I can think of! And mind you, most likely a pet only, I have enough BP's to breed, maybe one day I'll try my hand, but most likely not.

Thanks for reading! Again, sorry it's so long! Looks like a very friendly helpful site.
User avatar
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer
Posts: 1889
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:30 am
Country:
Location: Western Australia

Postby Nae » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:24 pm

Welcome! Good job on doing your research first~! Ill see what I can answer...

2. There is debate as to whether or not they actually enjoy it, but they are certainly very inquisitive and will often actually want to come out of their enclosures. They are definitely a lot more tolerant of handling then snakes, and dont stress out anywhere near as quickly or easily.

3. I personally think they are intelligent, but often times their logic seems to be flawed or they dont make the best of decisions - but certainly not from lack of trying :lol:

4. Bigger the better! Bts actually seem to appreciate and use all the room you give them, compared to most reptiles. SO it'll definitely be worth it. (Plus, if your like me and like to do stuff like make fake rocks and fully deck out the enclosure, more room to play with!)

5. Im fairly certain the only difference is feeding times (every second day) and an increase in protien in their diet.

6. I personally think thats up to you - as long as they have enough secure hides and 3 sides of the tank are covered, they dont seem to stress easily. You could try the living room, then move to somewhere quieter if it seems to be too much for him?

7. Bts tend to prefer to bluff and threaten before biting. However, once tamed they never seem to bite out of aggression, but have been known to occasionally bite just out of curiosity, but I dont think it hurts all that much (I dont know, I havent been bitten~)

8. Personality wise, Ive always loved Shingles - They are just so chilled out and sweet compared to others! Looks wise, I tend to like them all :D
A.VinczeBTs
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:30 pm
Country:
Location: Newmarket, Ontario

Postby A.VinczeBTs » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:37 pm

So the bigger the better on the tank! I'll see what I can find, some get higher as the size goes up which I don't need, so might get it custom made.

Can you just chill out with one on your lap ever? Sorta my reptile dream. Without stressing it out. I've seen beardies relax on people and seem to nap even!

Thanks for replying! :)
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:11 pm

Welcome!! :D It is great that you are doing research before getting them, we never mind questions.

1. Portions depend on the size / age / appetite of the bluey. For adults, I usually offer 3-4 tbsp per week and take away whatever they don't finish. I do approximately half greens and veggies and half meat, but I don't worry too much about exact amount or ratios. I just try to mix things up and offer quite a bit of variety with a few healthy staples being fed often. I hope that makes sense. I can try to add a couple older pics of meals.

2. Definitely get a captive born and bred bluey. I find mine are generally very inquisitive and for the most part unafraid. It takes some time to gain their trust, but they definitely are curious. It really varies by the individual skink though, but if you get a captive born one from a reputable breeder they can match you up with a good fit. I am constantly amazed at how much personality each of my blueys have and how intelligent they are for reptiles.

3. Again - I think this varies by individual. Most of mine will carefully eat from my hand and some seem to recognize my voice. All of them are very unique! Some of mine do hide more than others or are more reserved / wary.

4. Size is debatable. I personally wouldn't go smaller than 4' x 2', and I find they do use the space, but many people use 3' x 1.5'. I'd just go with the largest you can afford, within reason. I have mine in 4' x 2.5' and they use the space and I love having the room to make it look nice and provide interesting feature and hides.

5. Babies are hardy and pretty much the same as adults. The only thing I would recommend is feeding it more often, a bit more protein and definitely supplement with calcium. But they are just as easy to care for as adults, so there is no worries with getting a baby.

6. I think either would be fine - it probably would depend somewhat on the individual skink, but if provided lots of snug hides so it can feel safe then the living room would be just fine.

7. I have eight and will hand feed all of them, although I don't recommend this unless you trust your blueys. But I have found that unless very stressed / scared, they don't bite at all. Even when taking food from my hand, they seem to know not to bite the hand that feeds. Initially, biting may be a concern, but it shouldn't take too long to gain trust. Again - buying a captive born baby from a reputable breeder will go a long way.

8. I love them all. My personal favorite is Meraukes, but they are very hard to come by captive born and bred, so I would probably recommend a Northern for a first time buyer. They are much more readily available and there are some excellent breeders out there.

Don't worry about the length - it is always great to see people doing their research and asking questions. That is what this site is for. :D

Couple food pics:
Image
Image
Image
Image
A.VinczeBTs
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:30 pm
Country:
Location: Newmarket, Ontario

Postby A.VinczeBTs » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:55 pm

Thanks so much Katrina! Very thorough!

Consensus is bigger tank, I can easily save up so that's not a problem, snake racks can get very pricey, so one tank I can fill with display plants and rocks sounds kinda fun!

So really most of my questions can't be answered until I have my little guy (or girl) as they seem to prefer they're own things. Sounds fun, as long as I have a general feel, the little things can be changed to suit it's needs. :)

Those pictures were very helpful, thank you so much, gives me the general idea of what to make.

Does freezing the food harm it's health value? I know with fruits it certainly does (with humans too) so I would assume it's the same with veggies, but maybe not as much?

I always go with CBB, in anything I own. I prefer to not have to worry about the things wild animals have. I quarantine anything new anyway, but when CBB it's much less likely I'd lose or have an unwell baby. :(
User avatar
mv2sa
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:47 pm
Country:
Location: Ann Arbor - MI

Postby mv2sa » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:10 pm

Veggies can lose B something vitamin that is somewhat important to them, so it is not recommended to froze it(or so I was told...)
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:16 pm

If you go with a CBB, then you will very likely get a curious, tame, personable bluey.

I forgot to mention, with those pics - they show the pretty meals, not necessarily the required variety for a bluey. I guess I generally take pictures of the more photogenic meals, but I didn't mean to imply that that kind of variety is required, definitely not in every meal. I usually throw whatever healthy veggies and greens I have on hand into the meal if I have time, but if I am short on time some canned dog food and some kind of green is just fine. I hope that makes sense - I feed as much variety as I reasonably can, but I don't want it to seem like they are high needs or that they require very complicated diets.

Freezing will destroy thiamine, but lots of people buy big batches of healthy foods, throw it in the food processor and then freeze. It is a good way to feed lots of variety but not waste a lot of food. I try to feed fresh if I have it on hand, but keep some frozen mixes on hand as they are super easy. You can put lots of stuff like squashes and greens in the food processor and then freeze it in ice cube trays to get small meal-sized portions.
User avatar
lemon1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:29 pm
Country:
Location: Winnipeg

Postby lemon1 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:41 pm

I never put my squash in the food processor . I just chop it small . They eat it really well . When I make veggies for my family I just freeze a few tablespoons in small ziplock bags . I will mix the veggies into a huge batch with dogfood and maybe some chicken once a month or so . I usually end up with a variety of veggies because I have been saving odd pieces of vegetables all month . I don't usually feed veggies that haven't been frozen . Is that a problem ?
I also feed my guys 3 horn worms every second week .
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:44 pm

lemon1 wrote: I don't usually feed veggies that haven't been frozen . Is that a problem ?


Many large breeders only feed dog food and frozen veggies with no problems. Just supplement occasionally with a multivitamin powder and you should be fine. :D
User avatar
lemon1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:29 pm
Country:
Location: Winnipeg

Postby lemon1 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:45 pm

So far this month I have some cauliflower , butternut squash , spaghetti squash, broccoli , beat greens (lots from the summer) . I'd like to put a kiwi in the mix .As I was cutting the cauliflower I was wondering if the leaves on the cauliflower would be good greens for my skinks . Does anybody know ?
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:52 pm

Some cauliflower leaves are fine. Cauliflower and broccoli are from the brassica genus, so high in goitrogens which can suppress the thyroid gland function, so I would feed them all in moderation - but definitely throw the cauliflower greens in if you have them on hand. The squashes and beet greens are better staples, but the other stuff is great as variety. :D
User avatar
lemon1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:29 pm
Country:
Location: Winnipeg

Postby lemon1 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:06 pm

Yeah I haven't given cauliflower yet . I have enough beet greens for a year in my freezer . My friend has a lot from her garden . Beet greens will be in the food till next summer :)
A.VinczeBTs
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:30 pm
Country:
Location: Newmarket, Ontario

Postby A.VinczeBTs » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:12 pm

You guys are great! So when in doubt frozen is ok, we usually eat fresh fruit and veggies, so I doubt much will get frozen anyway. But if we get lots it's good to know it can be frozen so it's not wasted, as long as a multivitamin is provided sometimes.

Are most meals just high quality dog food (protein no weird omega's), and veggies? With fruit as a treat?

Can other meats be used, or is dog food a pretty good way to go?

Thanks again, very informative. :D
User avatar
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer
Posts: 1889
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:30 am
Country:
Location: Western Australia

Postby Nae » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:22 pm

I personally plan on mixing it up - frozen veggies will be veggies that we as a family dont normally eat, with fresh ones we do normally eat/ grow chucked in as well :D

Yep, thats pretty much it :D. Calcium with D3 and occasionally some multi vitamin sprinkled on top~ (I think most people use calcium each meal, then alternate between calcium with D3 or a multivitamin each second or so feed.) You can also feed stuff like feeder insects like snails and roaches (Ensure anything collected from outside does not contain any chemicals).

Dog food is completely fine, however beef, chicken, kangaroo, sheep, feeder insects, mice etc can also be used for variety~ Dog food is just cheap and easy, hahaha~!
A.VinczeBTs
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:30 pm
Country:
Location: Newmarket, Ontario

Postby A.VinczeBTs » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:40 pm

How much calcium should be provided (little sprinkle, or two sprinkles?)
What multivitamins do you guys use? I've never had a reptile who needed vitamins really, so don't know much about it.

I like fresh anyway, but when you buy in bulk sometimes frozen works in a pinch. ;)
User avatar
lemon1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:29 pm
Country:
Location: Winnipeg

Postby lemon1 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:37 am

I put calcium and D3 on their food every meal . Usually they eat 3 times a week . My guys are 4 months and 3 months . Is this too much ? Should I do a multi once a week or every second week ?
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Postby Linnea » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:02 am

A.VinczeBTs wrote:
Can you just chill out with one on your lap ever? Sorta my reptile dream. Without stressing it out. I've seen beardies relax on people and seem to nap even!


some bts are great at sleeping anywhere at anytime and especially if they are sitting on a heatsource (human).
on the other hand, my northern is an energetic one - once warm, he wont stop running around. its pretty cute anyway XD
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Postby Linnea » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:05 am

A.VinczeBTs wrote:How much calcium should be provided (little sprinkle, or two sprinkles?)
What multivitamins do you guys use? I've never had a reptile who needed vitamins really, so don't know much about it.


calcium is needed for most reptiles, doesnt matter which brand you pick as the contents are alike/the same.

i sprinkle over the meat parts so that a thin layer of white powder covers it.

Some here supplement D3, which is needed for calcium uptake. others choose to use an UVB bulb and let the skink produce D3 with this instead. be sure not to be without either one.

about multivitamins, they are good if you live in a country with veggies that arent grown outdoors and thus dont have the same nutritional content. i give my northern some vitamins every other week as Sweden only imports veggies this time of year.
keep in mind that giving too much ADEK vitamins is not good, so keep it to once a week/every other week or so.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Postby Susann » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:26 pm

Here comes my 5 cents' worth.

Little ones, feed every to every other day.
When they start to not be so interested in eating, that means it's time to stretch out how often you feed. Go from every other day to every third day, then to every fourth day, etc.
If he is not interested in eating, do not make the mistake of thinking that he doesn't like the healthy food you are serving, and then start feeding him more "treats" and favorites. Just like toddlers, the are very smart; they can hold out for days, and even weeks, if there's hope of receiving something tastier. They learn fast, and can be manipulative little buggers!

As to the amount to feed, a general guideline is a portion twice the size of their head.
My two young Meraukes are like night and day in many aspects, and when it comes to food, Maddie generally eats the same amount at each feeding; if there's food left when she's eaten her usual amount, she leaves it. Jazz on the other hand has only left food on his plate twice in the year I've had him. No matter the amount, he licks his plate clean! So I have to watch his portions.

There are both pros and cons with feeding frozen. Yes, thiamine is lost in the freezing process, but there's also the argument that once you pick a vegetable, it starts loosing nutrients. Since frozen vegetables are often frozen within hours of picking, they may lack thiamine, but are over-all more nutritious.
So either way is fine, but a little of both is probably better.

I am one of the ones who makes big batches and freezes them in portions.
I buy every kind of "good" vegetable and green I can get my hands on; I grate/chop them up, cook up some ground turkey, chicken, and beef, mix that up with some canned dog food, and mix about 50/50 meat mixture with the chopped veggies.
I press this mixture tightly into ice cube trays and freeze. A couple of days later I pop them out of the trays, and wrap them individually to prevent freezer-burn, put them back in the freezer. I thaw out as many as I think I need for each feeding, sprinkle a bit of calcium/D3 and a pinch of multivitamin on top, and I'm good to go.

Since I'm a very visual person, and not because I think people can't handle simple instructions, I will attach some pictures :)
I don't have any of the veggie-portion of the preparation, but picture me wielding a knife just like Emeril Lagasse, and, VOILA!

First, take ground chicken, turkey, and beef, break it up in a pot, pour just enough water to barely cover the meat.
Image

Bring to a slow boil on low/medium heat.
Image
Image

Cook slowly until thoroughly done, and water has been cooked off/absorbed back into the meat--that way you don't lose nutrients in pouring off excess water.
Image

Now I mix in the dog food, generally Wellness 95% meat, or Blue Buffalo Homestyle Recipe with only meat and two vegetables.
Then mix in veggies.
Press into icecube trays.
Freeze.
Image

Pop out, wrap individually.
Image

Each meal, thaw pieces.
Image

When it's too watery, I will sprinkle with Mazuri Insectivore pellets, to absorb water and firm up the food so it's a chunky paste rather than a runny paste.
Image
Image
Image

I feed a little bit of fruit as treats between meals.

As far as your dream of a BTS chilling on your lap; totally possible, but you may have to wait a few years until your skink is adult and has calmed down a bit. I have skinks on my lap in front of the TV all the time. My favorite is laying in bed with a skink sleeping on my chest while I'm reading a book, but I can only enjoy that until my husband comes to bed, then it's "NO pets allowed in his bed!!!" I just recently lost my "snuggle-buddy" though, and miss our chillin' moments like crazy.

Thank you for doing your research BEFORE getting an animal. I can say with fair certainty that you won't regret getting a BTS!
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
A.VinczeBTs
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:30 pm
Country:
Location: Newmarket, Ontario

Postby A.VinczeBTs » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:15 pm

Thanks again everyone.

To Linnea: Most may need it, but none I have ever owned do (ball pythons, hognose, cornsnake and a crested gecko) so it's still not something I'm familiar with. :) Thanks for letting me know most brands are the same!

To Susaan: Very helpful, thanks! Yeah, realizing most have their own unique habits and personality, hopefully I get a relaxed one who will one day sit on my lap.
The pics and portions of food is also very helpful! Again, I like fresh anyway, but like knowing that frozen is ok some of the time. Most of the summer I grow fresh veggies, but in winter sometimes they're imported or harder to find, so frozen would come in handy in a pinch. :D

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 274 guests