Help ID skink please

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
kotuko
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:30 pm
Country:

Help ID skink please

Postby kotuko » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:40 pm

Hi,

My name is Penny and I am new to the forum. I was wondering if any of you could help mt identify a skink I have living in my garage (no photo, unfortunately). I will describe it best I can;

*Pale, bluish/beige in colour (solid in colour, no patterns).
*Very slender body and head, very long tail, blue tongue and mouth. Not at all 'stumpy'.
*Around 35-40cm in length.

I've never seen anything like this fellow. I have 'regular' Blue Tongue's here as well as 3 other varieties of common garden skinks, plus a Robust Gecko who's taken up residence in my kitchen!

I live near Newcastle (Eastern NSW)

Thanx!

Penny :-)
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:22 pm

I'm not sure what it could be - hopefully someone from that area will see this and have an idea. If you go to the sites's main page, on the left there is a list of all the different blue tongue skink species and each page has pictures - that may help narrow it down. :D Good luck and welcome!!
User avatar
James Wilson
The Mentor
The Mentor
Posts: 693
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:01 am
Country:
Location: San Diego, California

Postby James Wilson » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:54 pm

It looks like you have a Slender Blue-tongue from the genus Cyclodomorphus. The only one in your area that I am aware of is the Mainland She-Oak Skink (Cyclodomorphus michaeli). New Castle is at the Northern portion of its range, and it ranges down the NSW coast to the extreme western tip of Victoria (just south of Eden, NSW). Your skink's description, size and range all fit. Here are some photos of this skink:

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
James Wilson
kotuko
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:30 pm
Country:

Postby kotuko » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:12 pm

Hi again,

Thankyou Katrina and James, for your replies!

James, that's the one! Thanx so much for identifying the skink for me. Mine looks exactly like the 2nd photo. I just love having these creatures around and like to know what they are, to make sure they're native.

He/she enjoys eating the beetles and things attracted by the lights.

Thanx again, you guys are great!

Penny :-)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 159 guests