Brumation and weight

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
mv2sa
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:47 pm
Country:
Location: Ann Arbor - MI

Brumation and weight

Postby mv2sa » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:32 pm

I was told that it is a good thing to weight your BTS sometimes during the brumation, to see if he is not losing too much weight, but is it ok to get the BTS even if he is burred and sleeping at all times?
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Brumation and weight

Postby Katrina » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:59 pm

mv2sa wrote:I was told that it is a good thing to weight your BTS sometimes during the brumation, to see if he is not losing too much weight, but is it ok to get the BTS even if he is burred and sleeping at all times?


I would only weight during brumation if you have some reason to think that the skink is losing weight or unhealthy (at which point they probably shouldn't be brumated). If the BTS goes into brumation at a healthy weight then I wouldn't even bother weighing. They will be just fine so don't bother disturbing until spring. :D

Weighing is usually suggested to owners who aren't sure if their skink is brumating or not eating for some other reason.
User avatar
mv2sa
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:47 pm
Country:
Location: Ann Arbor - MI

Postby mv2sa » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:14 pm

The only thing that really worries me is that one day before he decided to start his brumation he ate a few worms and he didn't poop, I don't think that he had time to complete his digestive cycle... I looked in the substrate, because one time I found one poop burred, and I found nothing(I just didn't look where he is sleeping), I am keeping his basking light on for about 10 hours per day and turned off the UVA and UVB lights, should I be worried?
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:22 pm

Did you provide a warm basking spot for a week after he decided to brumate? If so, assume he knows what he needs to do and will bask and digest if needed. If you gave him the proper conditions to digest and do what he needs to do, then it should be just fine.

If you had gone and placed him in a cool garage the day after feeding, I would be concerned. If you gave him the option to take care of his needs then just assume he has it all under control. :D
User avatar
mv2sa
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:47 pm
Country:
Location: Ann Arbor - MI

Postby mv2sa » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:28 pm

I think that everything is alright, but to make sure I will keep his basking light on, in case that he decides to use, do you think that its ok to decrease the time on for 6 hours?
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:00 pm

Yes, definitely. It is more in line with a normal 'in the wild' winter, where the background temperature would be cool but the sun still comes out and heats up rocks for a bit each day.
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Postby StaceyLeigh » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:10 am

I know your BTS is the same age as my Ember, as they were litter mates. I have tried to prevent Ember from going into brumation because of her young age, (4 months) so I have kept the lights (basking and UVB) on 12-14 hrs/day. She also has a red heat light at night to keep the temps from falling too low. She has been a little more lazy, and appetite has decreased a little, but she is still out and active most every day. I had thought I read discussions on this forum that Brumation under a year old could be risky? Anyone else have advise on this?
User avatar
mv2sa
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:47 pm
Country:
Location: Ann Arbor - MI

Postby mv2sa » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:54 pm

I tried to prevent him form brumation, but he insisted, and today he decided to wake up and is crazy to explore a little
User avatar
mv2sa
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:47 pm
Country:
Location: Ann Arbor - MI

Postby mv2sa » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:24 pm

Image
Should he eat when he do those small woke ups?
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:28 pm

He looks fine
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:17 pm

Most people don't brumate under a year and just leave it up to the bluey to decide. If they do want to brumate then you really can't stop them. As long as the bluey is in good condition there is nothing wrong with brumating them under a year old - that is what would happen in the wild.

If he is 4 months old and still waking up he probably isn't brumating - just hiding. Keep lights and temps normal and you can keep offering food, or if you want to brumate him it won't do any harm... just don't offer food.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 132 guests