Page 1 of 1

Brumation??? EDITTED

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:05 am
by eegore
Someone please help! Eegore has basically stopped eating. He might eat A LITTLE once a week or so. He will still eat live food. I have been giving him his normal diet with everything he likes and end up throwing it away. I thought brumation at first but he is still out and about and fairly active. Any thoughts?? Should I be worried? I assume he will eat when he's hungry, but I feel like I am neglecting him. Also, before you ask. He stays about 75F on the cool end during the day (65 at night) and his UV and basking area are fine too (100F on his stone). I am unsure what to do...


OK...So since I haven't seen Eegore for over 10 days I am assuming he is officially brumating. Is there anything I should do? Specifically...

1) Should I keep turning on his UV light even though he is buried?
2) Should I ever feed him? If I do, should I just pick him up out of his substrate and put him near the food?
3) What about water?
4) How often should I check on him?
How long should I let him brumate or will he "wake up" on his own?

I am assuming I cannot just turn everything off and forget him.

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:40 am
by Susann
For an IJ, 65 may be too cold at night. Try to get it up to 70 at night and see if his appetite changes.
But otherwise, unless he's sick, very young, or underweight, not eating--even for a couple months this time of year, can be quite normal.
And since we all know Eegore is loved and cared for, you have no need to feel guilty, or neglectful. :wink:

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:47 pm
by Katrina
Don't worry - they can go for a long time without food. Just offer food once every week or two and if he isn't eating or stops being active then just don't offer food and after a week or two lower the heat a bit and let him brumate. It is completely normal and nothing to be worried about. :D

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:50 pm
by eegore
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:56 pm
by Alioop
10 days does not a brumation make :wink:

I'd just keep temps and light the same. Offer food every week or two. Clean water at all times. No worries.

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:15 pm
by Katrina
What Ali said. I wouldn't assume he is brumating just yet, give it some more time. :D To answer the questions:

1) Doesn't matter, I would leave it on to provide daylight.
2) Don't wake him up, just offer food and if he doesn't get up to eat it on his own then throw it out. After 3 week or so of not eating you can stop offering food and lower the temps.
3) Always offer fresh water.
4) If he doesn't eat or come out for more than 3 weeks then lower the temperatures and leave him be. Start warming things up again around end of January and he should wake up.

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:20 pm
by eegore
He has been burying himself and staying until I pull him out to eat (which he doesnt) for 3 or 4 weeks. I never see him unless I take him out and he buries himself right back. I will assume he is brumating after that much time of being buried and never eating.

Also, how cold should I let him cool down? Is 60-65 at night and 70ish during the day OK? This is where he has been for the past weeks on his cool side where he is buried. Or should I move him somewhere colder?

Thanks for the info. SO basically just forget about him and let him be...

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:08 pm
by Linnea
i cannot answer your temperature question, however, you should not pull your bts out to eat...not even while not brumating, unless you suspect its ill or anything the like.

please, more experied forum members, correct me if i am wrong on this point :

it could be he tries to brumate, but if you continuosly wake him up from that state, his metabolism switches "on and standby" all the time, which is harmful, or at least confusing, to your skink.

if they are hungry they are out foraging for more food by themselves. when they dont feel like doing anything or are satisfied with the situation (in this case i mean food situation only) they stay put.

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:58 pm
by Katrina
Those temps sound ok, I'd just leave him be there. No need to offer food if he isn't eating. :D