introduction - Bex & Sigs!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
smex14
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:40 am
Country:
Location: Birmingham, UK

introduction - Bex & Sigs!

Postby smex14 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:51 am

Hi all! Just wanted to introduce myself really. My name is Bex and just 4 days ago I acquired my first BTS, Sigs (short for Sigmund) Or Supersigs!

A couple of months ago I saw my first BTS in a pet shop and fell in love. I wasn't even sure what he was or why I liked him so much but I just loved him. However, it was a lot of money and space and my parents were not keen.

Anywho, on Monday I got an email from a friend asking me if I still wanted one as she knew of someone giving away theirs with the heatlamp and viv etc at no cost as she couldn't afford him anymore. I leapt at the chance! I think he was a bit stressed out before so I'm glad he has more of a relaxed environment now. He is also missing a few toes but it doesn't seem to bother him much. He is getting a tad grumpy as he is just about to shed but he is a lovely mannered skink.

All in all just wanted to say thank you to everyone on this website, it is packed full of useful info and I'm sure me and Sigs will need this time and time again. I will try and post some pics soon. Working on getting him a bigger viv and better substrate but for now he is safe and happy.

:D
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Postby StaceyLeigh » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:15 am

Welcome :) Make sure you read over the caresheet on this site, there is a lot of great info! We love pictures :wink:
User avatar
smex14
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:40 am
Country:
Location: Birmingham, UK

Postby smex14 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:38 am

Thanks! I read through the care sheet when I first started my research a couple of months ago and when I found out I was getting sigs I printed the whole thing! It's my bible now hehe... Pics below, if anyone could tell me what species he is that would be cool!

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Postby Linnea » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:00 am

Nice meruake you have there ;D
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
smex14
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:40 am
Country:
Location: Birmingham, UK

Postby smex14 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:01 am

How can you tell he is a Meruake?
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Postby Linnea » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:41 am

front legs are spotted black, more clean on the back (reduced pattern), no sidecolourthing like northerns have, more rosy tummy colour than other BTS ive seen normally have. also he looks like a big little skink ;D

(and from practicing a lot looking at pictures, im still not good with easterns, and definitely not variations of shinglebacks)

taken from the words of the forum thing (which has been updated but i cant find the thread.....so ill paste the standars ones), a meruake should have:

• Massive tail length making it the longest of all BTS (often much longer than standard Indonesians)
• Overall cleaner body than most Indonesians
• Distinct striping and/or overall cleaner tail compared to most Indonesians — 1, 2
• Minimal to no flecking on throat
• Often displays faded gray coloration
• Forelegs are typically NOT solid black compared to standard Indonesians — this is a good trait to help in identifying as the deeply and arbitrarily marked Indonesians have completely solid black forelegs and often deep dark outlining on the head scales. The lighter/checkered forelegs on the Merauke contribute to the fact that they are (typically) lighter in color, and not nearly as heavily marked)
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Postby Linnea » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:43 am

(you should probably wait for the more experienced owners to give their opinion as i only have a northern....i forgot mentioning that before writing all of this)
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:03 am

Indo. Welcome, he is gorgeous! :D
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:14 am

Welcome to the addiction!

I think Sigs is an Indonesian BTS :) I can see where someone could see Merauke though, but the first picture is very Indonesian.
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Postby Linnea » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:04 am

uuh T__T im sorry...
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Postby Spindown » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:13 am

I"m guessing indo too, although linnea, i can see where you'd think merauke. :)
They can be quite similar looking.
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
User avatar
smex14
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:40 am
Country:
Location: Birmingham, UK

Postby smex14 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:24 pm

Thanks everyone! He just pooped on my nice fluffy blanket. I have mixed emotions - happy that he's finally eaten and pooped, sad that my blanket is ick. Nevermind eh. BTW, if he is an Indo, am I right in thinking these might like more humidity, maybe a damper substrate? I think I saw it mentioned on a message board...
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:46 pm

Indonesian (Tliqua gigas gigas)
Just keep humidity above 40% and you will be fine.
I prefer to keep mine in 60%
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Postby Bird_Brain » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:21 pm

Welcome! Sigmund is an Indonesian BTS. I also LOVE the name, but of course, I maybe partial to it due to having a cat with the same name!

I would try to aim for higher humidity, but really if no issues with shedding at lower humidity, I wouldnt worry about it.
Brad
User avatar
smex14
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:40 am
Country:
Location: Birmingham, UK

Postby smex14 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:06 pm

Cool, thank you all for your advice. Everyone seems pretty sure he is an Indo, can I ask what it is that gives it away? Are there certain personality traits etc that are different? I find it all so interesting :D
User avatar
smex14
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:40 am
Country:
Location: Birmingham, UK

Postby smex14 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:39 pm

Nevermind, I have just been researching old posts and looked at all the different subspecies. comparing the photos and descriptions I am now 99% sure myself that Sigs is an Indo! :ohyes:

What kind of BTS do you all have and what are their names?
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Postby Bird_Brain » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:46 pm

For time sake I will not worry about the names (unless you really want to know) but I have 12 Kei Islands and 6 Tanimbar Islands.
Here were two threads that showed my keis. (I guess it tells their names as well)
http://bluetongueskinks.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18970
http://bluetongueskinks.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19087

I still need to get recent pictures of my tannies.

Glad you took the initiative and researched the different types. Also on the main site, along the left hand side, it lists all the species and talks a little about them all.
Brad
User avatar
Edward
Carpe diem
Carpe diem
Posts: 1918
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:07 am
Country: U.S.A.
Location: Texas

Postby Edward » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:46 pm

T. gigas gigas

:btsnet:
Nemo me impune lacessit.
User avatar
smex14
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:40 am
Country:
Location: Birmingham, UK

Postby smex14 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:47 pm

wow Brad they are really lovely!

just had to have a mad dash to try and get a new thermostat sorted, I really don't think the lady who had Sigs before me knew what she was doing with her set up. He is nice and clean now and have moved some things around which he has been busy exploring!

Will post some new pics soon...
User avatar
smex14
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:40 am
Country:
Location: Birmingham, UK

Postby smex14 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:38 pm

Ok, so figured that the lady who gave me Sigs gave me/was keeping him with a broken thermostat and it was getting too hot. After much rushing around Sigs has a new Thermostat and a fixed UV light and is so much happier!

I didn't think I'd be able to tell but he's been cleaned out, given more appropriate subsrate and had his stuff moved around and he spent ages zooming round, looking at and climbing on everything. She said before "he is very shy and hides under the bark all the time" but he has been up and about and staring at us all day, refusing to eat his greens (naughty).

When I switched the heat lamp off, he went over to it and looked straight up, like he was trying to figure out how to switch it on. Then - I kid you not - He managed to climb on a hide, get his hands on the lampshade and SWING FROM IT! like properly swinging! only for a few seconds but I was in shock! Had to move the hide so it can't happen again.

Now he has fallen asleep right in front of the glass. He has also stopped huffing when he gets stroked.

Sorry for the long post but I am delighted that he seems so happy - and is such a madman! :D

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 394 guests