acorn squash prep troubles

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

acorn squash prep troubles

Postby Spindown » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:03 pm

I decided to try a new kind of squash for variety, but am having difficulty prepping it. Its acorn squash. Cant get the skin off!

What is the best way to prep it for a bluey?
thanks!

oh and is it safe cooked?
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Postby StaceyLeigh » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:28 pm

I usually cook mine (since I eat some of it), but actually today I quartered it, then cut chunks of the flesh inside out and pureed them in a small food processor and added to other veggies/dogfood. Seemed to work well.
User avatar
Usersafe
Blue Devil Bluey
Blue Devil Bluey
Posts: 260
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:57 pm
Country: USA
Location: KC

Postby Usersafe » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:53 pm

I bake mine cause I eat some too. Cut in half, scoop out seeds and place pieces in a little water in a baking dish cut side down.

Preheat oven at 350F. Cook for 45 minutes or so depending on the size.

Let cool and feed. My guys love it.

0.2.0 Irian Jaya - Amber, Jerri
2.1.0 Northern - Belle, Chewie, Bandit
0.1.0 Bearded Dragon Zoey
User avatar
655321
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:30 pm
Country:
Location: US
Contact:

Postby 655321 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:21 pm

I always feed raw, just cut into chunks and put in a food processor. But I think you can feed cooked too. To get the skin off you can use a vegetable peeler.
0.0.1 T. s. intermedia
0.0.1 Lampropeltis alterna

Find my nature inspired jewelry and figurines for sale on Etsy here!
User avatar
lemon1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:29 pm
Country:
Location: Winnipeg

Postby lemon1 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:51 pm

I cut mine in for cook 3 parts for the family and cut the other part into small pieces . I don't puree or cook . They seem to love it . I did the same with pumpkin . No cooking no puree .

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 290 guests