I was reading an article earlier today about birds being extremely sensitive to scented candles and remembered my own air freshener that I have in my room where Sylvia's tank is. It's a dual scent pine and 'winter berry' one, and I was wondering if that might be causing or aggravating Sylvia's respiratory issues.
I know pine oils are bad, but has anyone had any air fresheners that might have caused problems? I've gone ahead and unplugged it and won't use it again, just in case, but I would like to hear anyone else's thoughts on it.
Air freshener causing respiratory issues?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Karen
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 477
- Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
- Country: USA
Air freshener causing respiratory issues?
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
- 655321
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 96
- Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:30 pm
- Country:
- Location: US
- Contact:
Possibly. The oils in scented candles and those plug in air fresheners can get into the respiratory tract and also on their skin and irritate them. That's also why it's not a good idea to wash your hands with scented soaps or using scented lotion when handling them. At least that's what I've read/heard. I used to have my snake's cage (before I got my skink) in my bedroom and I love candles and would burn them frequently. I started to notice that while I had a candle burning, especially a strong scented one, he would rub his nose/face on everything. Then he would stop shortly after I blew out the candle and the scent went away. Once I realized this I stopped burning them in there. But now his cage is in another room, a much better ventilated room (my room is kind of small), and I haven't noticed this behavior since! It might be worth it to stop using the air freshener for a while and see what happens.
0.0.1 T. s. intermedia
0.0.1 Lampropeltis alterna
Find my nature inspired jewelry and figurines for sale on Etsy here!
0.0.1 Lampropeltis alterna
Find my nature inspired jewelry and figurines for sale on Etsy here!
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
- 655321
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 96
- Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:30 pm
- Country:
- Location: US
- Contact:
Yeah...cause that has the scent, oils, and smoke! Smoke definitely has to be bad. I know, I'm a big incense fan too. Kinda sucks but I'd rather my babies be healthy!
0.0.1 T. s. intermedia
0.0.1 Lampropeltis alterna
Find my nature inspired jewelry and figurines for sale on Etsy here!
0.0.1 Lampropeltis alterna
Find my nature inspired jewelry and figurines for sale on Etsy here!
- Karen
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 477
- Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
- Country: USA
- Linnea
- Swedish Flower

- Posts: 1781
- Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Sweden
air refreshers and air cleaners(electric) are very dangerous for human lungs and animal lungs alike. when talking about air refreshers i dont mean fresh herbs, i mean the chemical stuff they put on it.
the electric ones,particles they contain are not illegal due to their effectiveness, but the molecules might as well bind to your lungs as they do to dust and cause allergies or respiratory infections in the long run (asthmatics are in the danger zone).
and air refreshers (the smelling ones) do cause allergies to some people. if i were you i wouldnt have anything strong smelling in the room you sleep /keep reptiles in.
however, i do not believe the air refresher caused the respiratory infection itself. but removing things like that is a good idea for everyone in the house. its way better to pick fresh flowers and put them in the room!
the electric ones,particles they contain are not illegal due to their effectiveness, but the molecules might as well bind to your lungs as they do to dust and cause allergies or respiratory infections in the long run (asthmatics are in the danger zone).
and air refreshers (the smelling ones) do cause allergies to some people. if i were you i wouldnt have anything strong smelling in the room you sleep /keep reptiles in.
however, i do not believe the air refresher caused the respiratory infection itself. but removing things like that is a good idea for everyone in the house. its way better to pick fresh flowers and put them in the room!
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
- Karen
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 477
- Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
- Country: USA
Even if it didn't cause it, I'm sure it wasn't helping her any. I've been using air fresheners for years without any issue, but if it's better for the reptile I'll definitely toss them out. I'll be keeping an eye on her over the next few days to see if she seems to have an easier time breathing now that it's gone.
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
- Linnea
- Swedish Flower

- Posts: 1781
- Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Sweden
i may have sounded a big rash in my previous comment. theyre still no good though.
its not helping her, but its probably not causing anything that is visibly going to change her RI problem directly. im just guessing saying this, but if i had asthma problems and there was an air-refresher in the room....well, i can imagine it being a trigger. im not comparing human asthma symptoms to RI symptoms with lizards, but threre is an underlying issue with strong smelling things while having breathing problems/infections. (unless its tiger balm...does the trick. for humans)
but sylvia is already on meds so she will definitely get better in a few days just from that n__n ( + loving care)
its not helping her, but its probably not causing anything that is visibly going to change her RI problem directly. im just guessing saying this, but if i had asthma problems and there was an air-refresher in the room....well, i can imagine it being a trigger. im not comparing human asthma symptoms to RI symptoms with lizards, but threre is an underlying issue with strong smelling things while having breathing problems/infections. (unless its tiger balm...does the trick. for humans)
but sylvia is already on meds so she will definitely get better in a few days just from that n__n ( + loving care)
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
- Karen
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 477
- Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
- Country: USA
Linnea wrote:but sylvia is already on meds so she will definitely get better in a few days just from that n__n ( + loving care)
Well, she's been on meds since October 20th and her breathing still has a bit of crackle to it. Some days it is more pronounced than others, though it has never gotten as bad as it was when I first took her in. She had her last injection on Monday and has a few more days of Baytril, so after that I'll see how she does off of meds. If she starts getting worse again I'll go get more obviously. The bacterial cultures they did from her mouth and lungs didn't really show anything, so the vet didn't have much to go off of.
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
- Linnea
- Swedish Flower

- Posts: 1781
- Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Sweden
other things that irritate the mucous membrane include:
hairspray, strong smelling shower products/soaps, nail polish(when applied), washing chemicals that are not allergy tested......
thats all i can think of that might help in her close environment.....might not even help to change anything at all since this info i have is mainly meant for humans who are sensitive to certain products due to breathing problems, allergies or temporary respiratory problems(including colds).
and onions......fresh onions x'D......
hairspray, strong smelling shower products/soaps, nail polish(when applied), washing chemicals that are not allergy tested......
thats all i can think of that might help in her close environment.....might not even help to change anything at all since this info i have is mainly meant for humans who are sensitive to certain products due to breathing problems, allergies or temporary respiratory problems(including colds).
and onions......fresh onions x'D......
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
- 655321
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 96
- Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:30 pm
- Country:
- Location: US
- Contact:
Thank you for mentioning nail polish!!! I use clear nail polish for some of my crafts and often do so in close proximity to my skink's cage (just because of how the room is set up). I will change this and do it in a different room, just in case!
0.0.1 T. s. intermedia
0.0.1 Lampropeltis alterna
Find my nature inspired jewelry and figurines for sale on Etsy here!
0.0.1 Lampropeltis alterna
Find my nature inspired jewelry and figurines for sale on Etsy here!
- Karen
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 477
- Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
- Country: USA
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 170 guests

