My Skink has been hiding for a week

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
NickC
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:56 am
Country:
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada

My Skink has been hiding for a week

Postby NickC » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:04 am

Hi,

I bought a skink last November (he was probably a few months old). Everything has been going fine, and maybe still is, but he has gone into his hide and not come out for about a week now.

If I lift his hide, he hisses, so he is alive under there. I have left food out and it has gone untouched. He has never done this before.

Virtually nothing has changed except that it has gotten a little cooler in our house. He is in a very controlled environment with 12 hours of UV light including 10 hours with a 25W spot on the warm side of his cage. So his daytime temps haven't changed, but night temps are probably around 68F instead of the 70-72 he would have experienced up until the last couple of weeks (I don't have a night heat-source).

Since this is the first autumn that I've had him, I have nothing to compare against. Is he hibernating? What should I do?

Thanks
User avatar
Dippy_Dipstar
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:53 pm
Country:
Location: Wollongong, NSW Australia

Postby Dippy_Dipstar » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:39 am

The ideal environment for the Bluey is 14 hours of daylight and a 10 hour night however the temps you are describing seem fine, and during the night he does not require a heat source unless you are in a really cold climate.

To me it sounds like Brumation, in which case he should be back out in about 3 or 4 weeks. If you are worried about him not eating you can always leave a little fresh food in his cage but these guys are pretty strong fella's and generally know when and what they need.

Apart from that the only question i have is... Is he being housed alone or with something else?

You seem to be doing everything right from what you have described, So keep up the good work and he should be fine =)
Dipstar
NickC
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:56 am
Country:
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada

Postby NickC » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:57 am

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. He is housed alone.

I suspected brumation based on what I researched, but I thought this was a little early in the year. And now I know how long to expect him to be away.

I'll take your advice on the daylight requirements. Does it matter if I change that now while he is brumating?

Cheers
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Postby Linnea » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:27 am

i dont entirely believe the estimation 3-4 weeks. its entirely dependant on where the person lives and the temps and daylight and which type of skink it is.....?
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
Dippy_Dipstar
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:53 pm
Country:
Location: Wollongong, NSW Australia

Postby Dippy_Dipstar » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:20 am

(Linnea)

Well seeing as we're on a Blue tongue skink site i kinda just assumed it was a Bluey lol, And the brumation period for my Bluey is about 5 - 6 weeks but i understand what you are saying lol.

(NickC)

No it wont matter at all, i was giving my Blueys a 10 hour day too but it took them about a week to get used to it.
Dipstar
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Postby Linnea » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:24 am

dippy. i meant the type of blue tongue skink. a northern or meruake, centralian or shingleback etc.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
Dippy_Dipstar
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:53 pm
Country:
Location: Wollongong, NSW Australia

Postby Dippy_Dipstar » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:34 am

Oh yeah, good point lol. In that case i better ask, NickC? Do you know what kind of Bluey have you got? or have any pics?
Dipstar
NickC
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:56 am
Country:
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada

Postby NickC » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:07 pm

Hi,

He is an Irian Jaya, at least thats my best guess. I came to that conclusion by comparing him to the pictures section. I would say I'm 90% sure.

I'd love to send a picture, but he is hiding :-) I'll try to find one, but the last one I took of him is months ago.
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:36 pm

It does sound like brumation... they can go weeks and months without food (if healthy), so don't worry. Offer water all the time and if he isn't eating you may as well lower his temps and save some power.

As long as you are sure he isn't sick or lethargic then you have absolutely nothing to worry about. :D
NickC
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:56 am
Country:
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada

Postby NickC » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:10 am

Well, he came out yesterday, 3/4 shed. So he was sheding I guess, not brumating. But it must have been 2 weeks total. I've never seen him disappear for more than a couple of days to shed.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 421 guests