Pardon me one more time?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Pardon me one more time?

Postby Susann » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:31 am

One last time. (...I think)
...I’m finding myself searching for a bit of closure.
It took about 4 days before I stopped finding myself halfway up the stairs before remembering that there was no need to check on Joey; he’s no longer there.
It took only a week for the sudden stabs of pain to stop bringing tears, but for some reason, all of a sudden, I find myself breaking down lately if I’m alone.

Joey’s been gone for 3 weeks. I don’t question the decision to let him go. I had to make a similar decision almost 3 years ago with our sweet, awesome old dog Toby. To this day I have a hard time thinking about him without feeling that stab of doubt. In my head I know it was absolutely the kindest thing for Toby, just my heart evidently refuses to remember that part.

Even though there's no doubt this time, I hope you will excuse my need to have one more sob-fest while I show you some of the things I miss most about my Joey-Bug. (It is absolutely impossible for a mother of nearly grown children to care for a sick animal for 1 1/2 years and not come up with stupid, lovey-dovey nick-names. So he was my Joey-Bug, or Boogie, from his “swinging” gait because of his lack of digits.)

March 25th 2010, a package at the door!
Image Image

First glimpse. We’re both a little scared, don’t know what to expect.
Image Image

Warming up to each other. (The blue heating-pad helped!)
Image Image

I never realized until after he was gone, how round his face was compared to the Meraukes. I MAY be partial, but by gosh that’s the cutest skinky-face EVER!
Image Image
Image Image
Image

End of 2010. Cycles of up and down.
Image Image

End of Sept 2011. He was looking SO GOOD! I thought we’d figured things out.
Image Image

Then he quit eating. But he looked so good. I was just waiting for the day that he would just boogie right up to that plate of food and start digging in.
Image
Instead he had a different message for me. He said, Momma, I’m done. I refused to listen, he couldn’t possibly be done, we figured things out, we knew how to help him, he looked so good!
Every night, after his lights went out, I’d go up and get him, put him on my chest while I read my book in bed. He would just snooze all warm and comfy. I regret not having someone take a picture; those are my favorite moments.
Image
There’s no mistaking “that” look. There was no more denial for me to grasp. Oct 11th, I wrapped him up in my blue T-shirt that he’d been sleeping in, and let him fall asleep in it one more time.

Alright. I'm done. Thank you for one last indulgence in showing off my pride in having been so lucky as to have owned THE sweetest skink there ever was! How did I get to be so lucky?
Last edited by Susann on Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
Coomassie
The Inked Chemist
The Inked Chemist
Posts: 1826
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
Country:
Location: Newark, DE

Postby Coomassie » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:01 am

I'm glad I checked this thread at home before I left my apartment. It made me cry and run back to my bedroom to give Coomassie a big hug. I'm so sorry about Joey and I hope that you can find the same peace that he has.
Cay T.
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Postby StaceyLeigh » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:28 am

Again I am sorry for your loss. I hope writing this thread helps you with the closure! It was so sweet to see and read. I totally agree, what a cute skink face!!! You gave him an awesome life! :hug:
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Postby Spindown » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:08 am

i love the progression pics, that is so cool. I'm sorry for your loss. I'd be devastated if this happened to any of my animals, especially my skinks. I"m sure he had a great home with you, all the way up until the end.
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
User avatar
MissMeg
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 847
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:39 pm
Country: Canada
Location: Sooke,BC

Postby MissMeg » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:45 am

There I go again. I feel for you so much. I cant help from crying. I know exactally where your comming from. I want to let you know that when my Iguana passed I couldent stop crying. He passed christmas eve last year. I think about him all the time. My thoat gets tight and I gotta think about something else or ill start to cry. He had MBD when we rescued him. We slowed it down as much as possible. I never got to say goodbye though.
I give you so much credit for doing what you did. And you got to spend time with him before he went.
You did absolutly everything you could and he knew that. To start to cope with my iguanas passing I started to draw again. I drew him and that helped me get over the negative and rember the positive.
I know Jack is still here, hes with me all the time. I know Joey will be the same for you. :)
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Postby Susann » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:04 pm

Thank you everybody; your support means the world to me and soothes like nothing else could.

MissMeg, be happy you don't live close, cuz I just might look you up otherwise just to hug ya!

This little photo-tribute was actually incredibly healing. Maybe I just needed to share with others a glimpse of the amazing friend I was lucky to have for a short while in my life.
Whatever it was, since posting this, I feel like I gave Joey a proper “send-off”, like my heart finally can feel the memories without choking at the knowledge that there is no more.

So thank you for being here, for understanding the pain, and for letting me share.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
MissMeg
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 847
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:39 pm
Country: Canada
Location: Sooke,BC

Postby MissMeg » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:27 pm

Ill give you a hug anyday! lol :hug:
User avatar
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Blue Mountains Australia

Postby El Lobo » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:34 pm

Susann - you have some wonderful memories of Joey in those pictures. Hold onto them, eventually the sad memories of his fight will be replaced by only those good memories of your time together in good health.

"And when your sorrow is comforted (time soothes all sorrows) you will be content that you have known me.
You will always be my friend...I shall not leave you.”


― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
User avatar
655321
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:30 pm
Country:
Location: US
Contact:

Postby 655321 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:13 am

This made me cry! :( I'm so sorry for your loss. This reminds me of when I lost my guinea pig Clover years ago. She was very old, I had her for years! She didn't seem sick at all, just old, but one day when I came home from school I noticed she was laying on her side and breathing really hard and fast. She was making little squeaky whimper noises. I layed down on the floor next to her cage and put my hand inside and pet her. I knew what was happening so I just layed there and pet her and the whole time she kept eye contact with me. It lasted no longer than a minute before she stopped moving and making noise. All I can say is that I understand how you feel. And just know that I'm sure Joey was thanking you for being there with him in his last moments, and for everything you've done for him. *hugs*
ssr
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 964
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:34 pm
Country:
Location: Iowa

Postby ssr » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:22 am

I am so sorry for your loss and pain. It's so heartbreaking to lose a pet. Hang in there and know we are all thinking of you.
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Postby Linnea » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:06 pm

im so sorry for your loss :cry: (i feel the need to say it again after looking through this)

joey sure has a lot of cute photos.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
Zach
Grand Cicada
Grand Cicada
Posts: 7550
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:38 pm
Country:
Location: Orygun
Contact:

Postby Zach » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:01 pm

:hug: :hug: :hug:

+ 2.2 Irian Jaya (Slurpy, Nona, Sassy, Cool Moe Dee)
+ 1.1 Eastern (Eugene, Enzo)
+ 1.2 Northern (Niko, Pearl, Peach)
+ 1.0 Tanimbar Island (TQ)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 273 guests