Page 1 of 1
Ruckus' trip to North Carolina
Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:55 pm
by MissMeg
So the days are counting down for my parents big move to North Carolina. I will be helping them move and live with them for a few months. Ive decided to take Ruckus with me. (I could leave him with Atti, but I feel better taking him. That way I know how hes being cared for properly. Dont get me wrong though, Atticus could take care of him, I just feel better if I did)
Anyways...
Im making a back pack for him. Similier to the one Linnea (I think thats who it was) made but a bit bigger. Ive got a padded liner, and a window so he could breath fresh air.
My question is in his backpack how would I give him a hot and cold side?
Also, Is there anything else I should do to make him as safe and confortable as possible. Its about 12-19 hour drive.
Ill be away for 2-3 months and hell have a nice new tank at my parents house.
Also, Do you think ill have to declaire him at border if hes not going to be staying?
Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:30 pm
by Bird_Brain
Honestly, I would not worry about a hot and cold side. Most likely your car will be kept at a comfortable temp (assuming room temp which is around 72F). At this temp, it will not hurt to not have a hot side. I would simply stop feeding a week before the trip. The day of the trip, I would not turn the lights/heat on in the cage. From there, just pack him up and go.
Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:46 pm
by MissMeg
Why would I stop the feeding.. Is this just so he doesnt deficate in his backpack?
because I worried about that. I wouldent want him to poo and then when I go to check on him hes smotherd it everywere.
Also If I have to go to say.. the rest room or go to eat something. Do you think it would be okay to bring him with me (In the back pack of course) or should I leave him in the car. I dont know how cold it will be by the time I go.. So I think I should probably bring him with me.
Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:14 pm
by Bird_Brain
Pretty much just to make sure his stomach is empty. Empty stomach=Less chance of poo.
Also incase something would happen and you are stuck with out heat, you dont have to worry about the food not being able to digest in his body because temps are too cold.
If the vehicle is going to stay running, Id leave him in there. If you have to turn the vehicle off and only going to be 15 mins or so away from the vehicle, then I again would leave him in there. If I am going to go eat and going to be over 15 mins or so, Id take im in with me. However, with doing this, you will not want to get caught. It is typically frowned upon taking an animal into a restaurant with the exception of service animals.
Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:52 pm
by MissMeg
Vey true. thanks

ill post pics of the backpack when.im done. Its got dinosaurs' on it lol
Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:23 am
by Linnea
loool, definitely post pics x''D id love to see more skink bag travel fashion.
Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:00 pm
by Zach
ReptileKing wrote:Honestly, I would not worry about a hot and cold side. Most likely your car will be kept at a comfortable temp (assuming room temp which is around 72F). At this temp, it will not hurt to not have a hot side. I would simply stop feeding a week before the trip. The day of the trip, I would not turn the lights/heat on in the cage. From there, just pack him up and go.
Ditto.
Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:21 pm
by MissMeg
Thanks guys.
Im almost done the backpack but my sewing machine keeps breaking down. Im so close to being done
Another question, can I take a reptile on an airplane?
Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:02 pm
by Fatal_S
Probably not. Most airlines will not allow them in the passenger area, and cargo needs special requirements. But call the airline and ask if it's possible to take your "live, harmless pet lizard" with you.
Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:21 pm
by Bird_Brain
MissMeg wrote:Another question, can I take a reptile on an airplane?
I agree with Mel. You will not be able to bring it on board, but would have to keep it in the cargo area. I know Delta has "Delta Dash" that is used to ship reptiles same day delivery in the US. So Id assume you would have to use a similar option.
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:33 pm
by Susann
I looked into this extensively about a year ago. I was not able to find an airline that would allow a reptile in the cabin. Small furry pets are fine; allergic people just have to deal with the re-circulated air. Harmless pet reptiles are absolutely forbidden because of the fear factor. Don’t get me started!
Enough dead pets in the past have spurred the airlines to improve their pet cargo area. It used to be a huge risk to transport exothermic animals on an airplane. The cargo areas were not always reliably pressurized, nor reliably temperature-controlled. At 30,000 feet in the air, the temperature can drop to as low as
MINUS 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Even with heating pads it was risky for reptiles.
Today most airlines have a much better controlled cargo area for animals. Having your pet travel with you, even if they can not be in the cabin, is much safer. Personally, I would still not take the chance unless I HAD TO, but with the right preparations and equipment it hopefully shouldn’t be a problem.
Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:14 pm
by MissMeg
That makes me so mad. A stupid lap dog can, but my reptile that is in a carrier and cant be seen isnot aloud. Grrr!