Hey all!
I know you may not know me in particular very well, but I have a request for the masses of Bluey lovers here...
I am working on a blue tongue skink care book. I've been fortunate in my ability to find research articles, books, and speak to associates who've kept and bred blue tongues, but what I have not been able to get is pictures of various blue tongues.
I love my own blue tongues dearly, but I can't exactly use their pictures throughout the entire book, that's just silly. What I need, desperately, is pictures of specific blue tongue species, as well as set ups, and just plain fun pics of blue tongues.
If you'd like to chip in, message me for my email addy, and we'll go from there. The book is primarily focusing on beginners and beginner level info, and will be mostly about care for Indonesian and Northern blue tongues (the least expensive and most commonly kept types, from what I've found).
I'll need your name for credit for the picture, the sex (if known) of the blue tongue, SVL length, and any other info you'd care to include about your animals. The higher res the pictures, the better.
No promises on if/when the book will be published, but I can't move forward until I have more finished book.
Again, any help would be great. Thanks in advance!!
~Jen
Pictures request!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
hurricanejen
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 337
- Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:57 am
- Country: USA
- Location: San_Diego
- Contact:
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Instead of trying to take new pics (my skinks have decided to brumate, and the 2 that arent wont hold still for pics) you can feel free to go into my facebook (gargoylegardens@gmail.com) and use pics there, or go into my personal gallery here and use those.
If you do, pm me and i'll send you my info for credit.
If you do, pm me and i'll send you my info for credit.
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Re: Pictures request!
hurricanejen wrote:The book is primarily focusing on beginners and beginner level info, and will be mostly about care for Indonesian and Northern blue tongues (the least expensive and most commonly kept types, from what I've found).
A couple of things I'd like to point out. I'm really excited about someone doing this, and would love for it to go all the way to publishing!
First thought: Indonesian and Northern are from two different places with different climates. Which is great if you want to go into the slightly different husbandry issues. But if you are planning on keeping it short and sweet with just introductions and briefly mentioning the different needs of different BTS from the different areas/locales then you may want to stick with one area....? Just my thought.
The other thought: You say you want to concentrate on Indonesian and Northern because they are the least expensive and most common.
They are NOW. 10 years from now, could be a completely different story. I guess 10 years ago, Easterns were the "common" ones in the U.S. and IJs were RARE and expensive!
For an article, concentrating on the most common ones would work. For a BOOK that doesn't get reprinted every time changes occur, maybe not focus on any one or two, but an all-inclusive, non specific, equal space for all, and mention why each is unique from the others, kind of thing...?
Just another of my thoughts.
And I have pictures of young Meraukes and a "not classic" IJ, if you want, PM and tell me where to send them, how many you want, in what size.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
- Karen
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 477
- Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
- Country: USA
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
-
hurricanejen
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 337
- Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:57 am
- Country: USA
- Location: San_Diego
- Contact:
When you really break it down to care information, the differences are not that major. What is really, really that different about caring for an irian jaya and a northern? Humidity, and you don't cycle the irian jayas for breeding.
Take a look at common tortoise care books - the species can be vastly different (red foots vs russians, for example) but some excellent books about basic care cover the generalities, with chapters devoted to the specifics for each species. That's the general model I'm following, with notes on the differences between species. This kind of book model has worked for tortoises, chameleons, and anoles, where the basic care is fundamentally the same, with only minor differences in encouraging breeding and humidity needs.
It's a complex thing and a hard thing to do, but it's been fun and educational. Did you know skinks are pretty much the only lizard family that doesn't pant? The palate on the roof of their mouth doesn't allow for enough air flow to make the behavior useful for cooling down. That's one of my favorite little factoids from research; there's quite a few neat ones.
Anyway, Thanks for those who have volunteered so far! It helps
Working on publishing. I wanted to make sure I'd be able to get all aspects I'd need of the book ready before approaching them.
Thanks again guys!!!
~Jen
Take a look at common tortoise care books - the species can be vastly different (red foots vs russians, for example) but some excellent books about basic care cover the generalities, with chapters devoted to the specifics for each species. That's the general model I'm following, with notes on the differences between species. This kind of book model has worked for tortoises, chameleons, and anoles, where the basic care is fundamentally the same, with only minor differences in encouraging breeding and humidity needs.
It's a complex thing and a hard thing to do, but it's been fun and educational. Did you know skinks are pretty much the only lizard family that doesn't pant? The palate on the roof of their mouth doesn't allow for enough air flow to make the behavior useful for cooling down. That's one of my favorite little factoids from research; there's quite a few neat ones.
Anyway, Thanks for those who have volunteered so far! It helps
Working on publishing. I wanted to make sure I'd be able to get all aspects I'd need of the book ready before approaching them.
Thanks again guys!!!
~Jen
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
If you need specific photos let me know. Either in the next couple weeks or next spring. I have Northerns and IJs.
I'll point out I treat my IJs the same as my Northerns.
I'll point out I treat my IJs the same as my Northerns.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- Coomassie
- The Inked Chemist

- Posts: 1826
- Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: Newark, DE
-
hurricanejen
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 337
- Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:57 am
- Country: USA
- Location: San_Diego
- Contact:
I did request pics on iherp too! I've been there longer and met a lot of folks from there in Chicago, so I figured that'd be a good place to start.
I'll flip through your pictures and see, thanks for the help!
Thanks Fatal_S as well, I'll PM you details. I keep my indos about the same as well, the only difference being a humid hide.
I'll flip through your pictures and see, thanks for the help!
Thanks Fatal_S as well, I'll PM you details. I keep my indos about the same as well, the only difference being a humid hide.
-
sd reptiles
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 90
- Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:12 am
- Country:
- Location: Belgium
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 157 guests
