Help?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
phaemas
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 am
Country:
Location: winnipeg,manitoba, canada

Help?

Postby phaemas » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:11 pm

So some one decided it would be a good idea (Wasn't me) to let Serina and Marvin meet. I was holdin marivn and they walked up with her (i'm not going to say who for they're own privacy) and said they should meet and I said no, but of corse they help her close I told them to back up and take her away but before I could move,

WAM! Serina BIT marvin. I managed to detach her after about 2-3 seconds. I looked marvins rib area (behiind his front legs) and he doesn't show any pain when I poke it. he just seems to have a few scratched scales. Could he be injured badly? I'm worried for him. Is it nessicary for a vet?
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:17 pm

It probably isn't a big deal. I wouldn't worry about the vet.

But do reread all the great advice given to you on letting Serina settle in and quarantine and pass it on to anyone else in your household who will be handling these guy. :?
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Postby Susann » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:17 pm

Well, you may want to get fecal exams for both of them now.

If it looks like any scales are hurt, if you can see any red or pink in the injured area then I would say a check wouldn't be out of place.

Whoever did this needs to get a serious lesson about handling your reptiles. If I were you, and had someone THAT unpredictable and uncaring around my reptiles, I would find a way to lock the tanks. You may HAVE to. If they did this RIGHT INFRONT OF YOU, WHAT do you think they are capable of when you aren't there!!? Your poor skinks got lucky that only one of them got hurt, but because of the quarantine issue, you now possibly have two skinks in need of medical attention!
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
phaemas
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 am
Country:
Location: winnipeg,manitoba, canada

Postby phaemas » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:20 pm

There are no red marks and marvins pride just seems dented. He didn't hit her at all or even re-act. The only time I take her out is to clean her cage and even then she's put in a box right beside me. And then i wash up and use that box for HER only.
User avatar
phaemas
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 am
Country:
Location: winnipeg,manitoba, canada

Postby phaemas » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:28 pm

I also noticed earlier (before the bite) that hi's lips/nose area seem blue/green/grey?
User avatar
Tanith
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:22 pm
Country:
Location: Manitoba

Postby Tanith » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:30 pm

phaemas wrote:I also noticed earlier (before the bite) that hi's lips/nose area seem blue/green/grey?


It sounds like both reptiles need to visit the vet as soon as possible.
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Postby Susann » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:31 pm

phaemas wrote:I also noticed earlier (before the bite) that hi's lips/nose area seem blue/green/grey?

...was that a question? Or just an observation? If you want to know if the color is normal, you would have to post a picture.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
phaemas
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 am
Country:
Location: winnipeg,manitoba, canada

Postby phaemas » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:32 pm

its only were he sticks his tounge out though and my eyes are bad so i'm not sure if i'm imagining it or if it's histongue reflecting on his white/cream scales.
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Postby Susann » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:38 pm

Give us a picture if you want an opinion, otherwise if he seems healthy and acting normal, I wouldn't think it was anything urgent. But really impossible to say when no-one knows what you're talking about.
My avatar shows a close-up of lips, nose, and tongue, no reflection there.

Since he just got bit, it would be really good if you could get some clear pictures of Marvin and the injury so experienced people can give you their opinion about whether he needs veterinary care.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:40 pm

One bite on the side shouldn't be a big deal at all. Happens all the time in mating. If it didn't break the scales I wouldn't worry at all, just be much more careful about quarrantine and making sure people in your household know how to responsibly handle and care for these guys.

Not sure what the question about the colors is. If you are unsure, post a picture.
User avatar
phaemas
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 am
Country:
Location: winnipeg,manitoba, canada

Postby phaemas » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:40 pm

I tryed getting pictures and I wasn't able too they turned white or blurry each time. He seems normal other wise beeing bittin. I'll let you guys know if the colour spreads.
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Postby Susann » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:43 pm

phaemas wrote:I'll let you guys know if the colour spreads.

No, no! If ANY color ANYWHERE spreads in ANY way, you don't need to let us know; you need to RUSH him to the nearest qualified veterinarian IMMEDIATELY!
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
phaemas
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 am
Country:
Location: winnipeg,manitoba, canada

Postby phaemas » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:05 pm

AND I'll do that Susann:) I would dare not risk mouth rot.
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Postby Susann » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:12 pm

:thumbs: :2thumbs:
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
phaemas
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 am
Country:
Location: winnipeg,manitoba, canada

Postby phaemas » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:16 pm

lol! :gangsta: but most of what ears hear same with my family is :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: . on certain subjects and this certain someone didn't lsiten at allO_O
User avatar
phaemas
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 am
Country:
Location: winnipeg,manitoba, canada

Postby phaemas » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:46 pm

Would you guys suggest a fecal cheack for both?
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:05 pm

I've been pretty open to your other posts, to treat you like a reasonable young adult, but I feel the need to address this.

These animals are under your care. You are responsible for keeping them safe. If you can not keep them safe then they need to go somewhere where they will be safe.

I realize you are young and not all that in control of your own life, but you need to step up here. Were someone to do something that threatened my reptiles I'd put an immediate stop to it and not let that person near them. If I ever felt my animals were in danger because they lived with my family I'd do the responsible thing and send the animals away.

Basically, I am extremely disappointed that you would allow this to happen to animals under your care. You were there. You know better. You should have put a stop to it. You are at fault, and you're lucky the damage wasn't much worse.

In other news here, any quarantine you had has pretty much been blown now. And it sounds like Serina might not be as feminine as you thought. And I always recommend a fecal, they're a great way to help look after your animal.
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:25 pm

Buy a lock for the cages.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
ExtremeJustin
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 10:23 am
Country: USA
Location: Tampa,Florida

Postby ExtremeJustin » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:58 pm

xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:Buy a lock for the cages.


I second this. In fact, I would say it is a MUST. It might seem to be an extreme step but it really isn't.

I don't think there's much point in a quarantine now. I think Serina needs a fecal check regardless since she is most likely a captive born from a WC. I don't know if I said this before but I strongly believe that you need to have your vet friend take a look at the new skink.

EDIT (Very important):
I just read in a different message thread that one of your skinks doesn't have a lid. While this might have worked previously you will need to look into finding some way to secure the enclosure. I understand your Dad is building you a new tank for one of them??? I would suggest that he put in some way for it to lock if you can. Otherwise you will need to find some way to keep people out of the room you keep them in. Remember your goal here is to protect Marvin, Serina, and Miles. For all you know this person didn't learn their lesson and might but the dragon with one of the skinks next. Plus they didn't listen to you when you insisted not to put the skinks together so they had no respect for your authority on your pets and there's not reason to think they will in the future.


Justin
No, it's a SKINK not a SKUNK. Er, no, it's not a Blue Tongued Skank---although I do think I dated one of those at some point.
• 0.1.0 Eastern Blue Tongued Skink (Thor[a])
R.I.P:
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Lou)
1.0.0 Dwarf Bunny (Mars, the Tie Dye Bunny)
• 0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Inari)
User avatar
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Blue Mountains Australia

Postby El Lobo » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:56 am

Image
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 268 guests