Page 1 of 1

measuring length?

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:43 am
by StaceyLeigh
I have a quick question about how everyone measures their Bluey. I have been measuring from the tip of the nose to the end of the tail. Is this how everyone measures? I am asking because based on age it seems like mine are longer than most so I was wondering if I was measuring wrong, or just have big guys?

Ember 3 months- 15"
Thor 5 1/2 months - 17 3/4"

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:23 am
by Katrina
Yeah - that is right. My measurements are rarely super accurate as my guys don't stand still and wait to be measured. You can also measure snout to vent, which is also useful, but pretty much all lengths posted here would be total length including tail.

Your guys are big, but they will grow fast like that. It isn't unusual. I'm not sure how often you're feeding, but you could cut back to once or twice a week.

It really depends on the individual bluey - some will eat like pigs and be almost full grown in well under a year and others, like Kira, will be 16" at a year old and grow much slower. I thought he was always going to be small but now that he is 4 years old he is suddenly 23" when last I checked he was 19". :lol: It is generally healthier to restrict the food a bit for those gluttons so that they aren't breeding size by 8 months of age.