I have a quick question about how everyone measures their Bluey. I have been measuring from the tip of the nose to the end of the tail. Is this how everyone measures? I am asking because based on age it seems like mine are longer than most so I was wondering if I was measuring wrong, or just have big guys?
Ember 3 months- 15"
Thor 5 1/2 months - 17 3/4"
measuring length?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- StaceyLeigh
- Northern Love

- Posts: 1576
- Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: CNY
- Contact:
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Yeah - that is right. My measurements are rarely super accurate as my guys don't stand still and wait to be measured. You can also measure snout to vent, which is also useful, but pretty much all lengths posted here would be total length including tail.
Your guys are big, but they will grow fast like that. It isn't unusual. I'm not sure how often you're feeding, but you could cut back to once or twice a week.
It really depends on the individual bluey - some will eat like pigs and be almost full grown in well under a year and others, like Kira, will be 16" at a year old and grow much slower. I thought he was always going to be small but now that he is 4 years old he is suddenly 23" when last I checked he was 19".
It is generally healthier to restrict the food a bit for those gluttons so that they aren't breeding size by 8 months of age.
Your guys are big, but they will grow fast like that. It isn't unusual. I'm not sure how often you're feeding, but you could cut back to once or twice a week.
It really depends on the individual bluey - some will eat like pigs and be almost full grown in well under a year and others, like Kira, will be 16" at a year old and grow much slower. I thought he was always going to be small but now that he is 4 years old he is suddenly 23" when last I checked he was 19".
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 258 guests
