Sand?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
sd reptiles
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:12 am
Country:
Location: Belgium

Sand?

Postby sd reptiles » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:24 am

Here in Belgium almost everyone is keeping their bluetongueskinks on sand , but i read on this forum that this is not good.
What should i do ?
He's together with a bearded dragon in a 150 * 70 * 60 tank.
Just love my coldblooded friends...

0.1 IJ
1.1 Patternless
0.2 Heterozygous Patternless
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Postby Linnea » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:46 am

rather than the substrate you have an immediate problem to take care of!

you start by separating the beardie and the bts very quick! :shock: give them each a separate tank.
reasons:

- they need completely different temperatures
- they need different food
- they might try to kill eachother at some point. they are not being friendly to eachother when theyre cuddling together, its quite the opposite. and when they snap they go all out.


then you get another substrate that is not sand. the impaction risk isnt huge, but there are also sanitary factors and humidity factors that needs to be accounted for. i would suggest that you look for repti bark if you have money to spare, or like what i have (its imported from germany) pieces of wood chips which are 1 x 0.5 x 0.2 cm or so. make absolutely sure its not cedar or pine wood (or any very fragrant wood)

it depends a bit on which type of BTS you have though. some need more humidity than others, and some need very much less. some keep species of BTS on sand, but others are better on other substrate.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer
Posts: 1889
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:30 am
Country:
Location: Western Australia

Postby Nae » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:05 am

As Linnea said, definitely separate them. Contrary to popular belief, in the wild beardies have nothing to do with bluetongues. Plus, if you have an Indonesian species, their care requirements are on *completely* opposite ends of the scale!

Blueys are known to live together for years, only to suddenly turn on each other and inflict serious injuries. Bluetongues have extremely powerful jaws - Imagine what a bite capable of tearing limbs from another bluetongue could do to a beardie O.O

While sand poses no real impaction risk if they are not feed directly on it/ their food does not come into contact with it, there is a large variety of much more convenient alternatives available. Sand is just too heavy, hard to clean properly, gets everywhere- Basically, just plain annoying :lol:

Aspen, coco fibres, repti bark, newspaper pellets even - All are are much more convenient and cleaner alternative :D

Welcome to the forums! :D
User avatar
ExtremeJustin
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 10:23 am
Country: USA
Location: Tampa,Florida

Postby ExtremeJustin » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:07 am

There was at least one book back in the 90s that said a BTS and a BD could be kept together in the same tank. I had plans to put the 2 together at one point because of this and I never ended up getting the BD thankfully. Pretty much everyone agrees that keeping the 2 together is a bad idea. Thanks a pretty big tank. Maybe you could put a partition in the middle and still use it for both? As far as sand goes, pretty much everyone I've talked to says not to use it for a BTS.

Oh also---if you ever get another BTS---DO NOT keep them in the tank with your current BTS.

Justin
No, it's a SKINK not a SKUNK. Er, no, it's not a Blue Tongued Skank---although I do think I dated one of those at some point.
• 0.1.0 Eastern Blue Tongued Skink (Thor[a])
R.I.P:
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Lou)
1.0.0 Dwarf Bunny (Mars, the Tie Dye Bunny)
• 0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Inari)
sd reptiles
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:12 am
Country:
Location: Belgium

Postby sd reptiles » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:54 am

ok , i going to give the beardie another tank .
I dont want him to be injured.
I use by my snakes a sort of aspenbedding but it's called Lignocel
Maybe i going to use it for my BT to.

Image
Just love my coldblooded friends...

0.1 IJ
1.1 Patternless
0.2 Heterozygous Patternless
sd reptiles
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:12 am
Country:
Location: Belgium

Postby sd reptiles » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:25 pm

i'm planning to make 5 new terrariums for my 3 boa constrictors , beardie and BT.
I want to make them 145 cm long , 65 cm deep and i can make them only 47 cm high.
Is this good enough for him?
47 cm high is the maximum i can go.
Just love my coldblooded friends...

0.1 IJ
1.1 Patternless
0.2 Heterozygous Patternless
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Postby Linnea » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:37 pm

thats a really good size. they dont actually need much height since theyre not mainly climbers - pure "floor" space is the best :D (as long as they dont get too close to the heatlamp height doesnt matter much)

my terrarium is 50 cm in hight, and i think you can drop as much as 7-8 cm of this and still be ok.
depends on the lamp and heat entirely ;)

but i recommend getting it up to 47 cm so you can fill in a lot of burying substrate :)
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:07 pm

That aspen bedding would work perfectly for a skink. :D

Sand isn't recommended for quite a few reasons - it isn't horrible to use, but something like aspen would be much better. Some of the issues with sand are that it can be ingested and cause impaction (this is an issue with any substrate, so don't feed directly on the substrate - but sand is particularly bad), it is very heavy and it doesn't absorb waste at all - so it is difficult to keep clean. Aspen will soak up waste a bit better making things easier to spot clean and it is something that they can burrow in. :D
bluesrt
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:54 pm
Country:

Postby bluesrt » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:44 am

I have to disagree about sand. I used fine play sand for my dragon. It's so easy to spot clean it clumps like cat litter. I can see a problem with fine sand used on bts, one it will get into its nose as they burrow. I just started using cypress and watched the skink pee on it. Then went to look for the spot but no sign of pee until I touched the wood. So that's not good. I tried some oak wood burning pellets on part of the tank as a test. I could tell were the skink went and was easy to clean. Any thoughts on wood stove burning pellets anyone?
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Postby Linnea » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:31 am

bts pee is only water (according to caresheet)

the other substances come in the white urate : )

do you dont need to see where they peed as long as there isnt a pile of something else along with it - but that is easy noticeable.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Postby Bird_Brain » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:04 am

bluesrt wrote:I tried some oak wood burning pellets on part of the tank as a test. I could tell were the skink went and was easy to clean. Any thoughts on wood stove burning pellets anyone?


Depends on what else make up the pellets. If its just pure wood compressed, then I see nothing wrong in using them. However, they could have other chemicals in it that I would not recommend. I know you can purchase compressed wood pelletized bedding for small animals. Go purchase it from your petstore.
Brad
bluesrt
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:54 pm
Country:

Postby bluesrt » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:34 pm

I used the pellets for pellet stoves; I understand that they claim that water is what holds them together as not to burn any harmful chemicals. The skink did not burrow in them but I only had them at one end of the tank. Last night my skink left a 3 foot burrow trail and disappeared in the cypress. Today its been out and active all day again so I think this skink is happy with cypress!! And If I just have to worry about getting the fecal matter and white urates cleaned up then I think cypress is perfect to my skink.
sd reptiles
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:12 am
Country:
Location: Belgium

Postby sd reptiles » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:19 pm

Today i bought ZOOMED aspen bedding for snakes for my IJ.
Will this be good?

greetz
Just love my coldblooded friends...

0.1 IJ
1.1 Patternless
0.2 Heterozygous Patternless
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:23 pm

It is shredded and they are very pointy and irritate the eyes. It might work but I would get shaved instead of shredded.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
sd reptiles
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:12 am
Country:
Location: Belgium

Postby sd reptiles » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:32 pm

Like this?

Image

I read so many different opinions , pfff :doh:
Just love my coldblooded friends...

0.1 IJ
1.1 Patternless
0.2 Heterozygous Patternless
sd reptiles
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:12 am
Country:
Location: Belgium

Postby sd reptiles » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:13 am

I have seen strawpellets as substrate for rodents and other animals in the store today.
Does someone uses this?
Just love my coldblooded friends...

0.1 IJ
1.1 Patternless
0.2 Heterozygous Patternless
sd reptiles
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:12 am
Country:
Location: Belgium

Postby sd reptiles » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:27 pm

I bought reptibark and he's in his new enclosure now. :D
aspen shaving were to dusty.
Here a pic with the aspen still in his tank.

Image
Just love my coldblooded friends...

0.1 IJ
1.1 Patternless
0.2 Heterozygous Patternless

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 184 guests